Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR,
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year about this time a meeting is called at the Winfield, OH VFW mostly to drink. Anyone who knows this rural microscopic town knows they ain't got a VFW + few to none of the good old boys are even vets. It's the name given to one of their houses with a really huge garage and a gang of coolers filled with Natty Light. VFW to these guys means Vacation From Work.

Anyway, after about the 10th case of beer, gunshots are heard, half dozen pigs are on the ground, and the process begins. Everyone's got a job, field dress, butcher, sausage grinders, and all the scraps go to my wife's brother Larry aka Krepple King. Me, I don't do squat, I'm a city boy + I can't keep up with these old boys butcherin or ESPECIALLY drinkin!!! (And I'm Irish, former Marine, retired construction worker)

Soon, my wife's brothers will be over + my freezer will be jammed + my beer stash will be DESTROYED! Oh well, it's worth it, the krepples are out of this world! That's Larry on the ribs.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the hell is a Krepple? You the union boss that's what you do ... sounds like a fun time ...
Well now, there's just no tellin! It's kinda like ******* Chinese, nobody's quite sure of it's origin. :unsure: All the bones + scraps (nothin gets wasted) get tossin into a huge pot on the propane burner. There it gets boiled down, the secret ingredients go in (mostly corm meal + spices). from there it's poured into forms (long wooden boxes) where it sets up + is cut into freezer sized loaves. To prepare, yah thaw it out, cut it thin, + throw it on a fryin pan till it's very crisp, then flip + do same to other side. Serve with free range scambled eggs, you'll think yah died + went to heaven. Eat regularly, you will die says my cardiologist. For me, the heaven part is sketchy at best!

Think it's called scrapple around Philly!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geez, I didn't cuss, was a reference to good old country boys, hmmm! And yes, their kitchen is FDA approved, methinks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Sounds like something i need to try ... the krepple not the dieing ...

my fav snack is hot flavored pork rhinds and that is death knockin' on the door as well ...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love scrapple. It is very popular in the mid atlantic region. I don’t know about its popularity in other parts.
Remember my 97 yr old Mother and her Sister talking about how much they loved "Scrapple" after the Hog Butchering. This in their Southeast Ill farm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
:unsure: All the bones + scraps (nothin gets wasted) ... Serve with free range scambled eggs, you'll think yah died + went to heaven.
I was on a project many years ago at a hog slaughter house (2000 head per day). They say "Nothing gets left but the squeal!" Even the hair goes to hog hair brushes. Anyway, lunch time comes around & Boss Man is the type of guy who just orders for everyone without even consulting the rest of us. Pork steak. Never tasted pork so good ever since, not even at a pig roast.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
coolers filled with Natty Light.
Natty Light you say, I see y’all are sparing no expense. :p If I ever make it that way a I’ll bring ya the king of the AB line......Bu, Bu, Bu, Budweiser. Growing up in St. Lou I was raised on Bud.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Natty Light you say, I see y’all are sparing no expense. :p If I ever make it that way a I’ll bring ya the king of the AB line......Bu, Bu, Bu, Budweiser. Growing up in St. Lou I was raised on Bud.
These old boys are even cheaper than me, that's all they buy. Around these parts, yah either drink Mountain Dew, or if you're above the age of 8 or 9, Natty Light. Myself, I like Yuengling, but seldom drink anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Serve with free range scambled eggs, you'll think yah died + went to heaven. Eat regularly, you will die says my cardiologist. For me, the heaven part is sketchy at best!
Anywhere there's any kind of Deutsch-based population, there's scrapple; yum, good!
As to the cardiologist's advice:
1. No one gets off this rock alive.
2. The only part of Medical Science I'm aware of which is generally accurate is Pathology.

Too much of anything, good or bad, can & will shorten your life span so be moderate in all things.
Govern your self accordingly.

All y'all stay well & warm.
G.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love scrapple! Born and raised in Philly. I believe scrapple originated from the Amish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think you're right + we've got a HUGE Amish population/influence in this area!

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
These old boys are even cheaper than me, that's all they buy. Around these parts, yah either drink Mountain Dew, or if you're above the age of 8 or 9, Natty Light. Myself, I like Yuengling, but seldom drink anymore.
LOL ... did an Ohio guy just reference Yuengling ... LOL ... A friend has a cabin up in Tionesta, Pa and when Yuengling wasn't yet available in Ohio, we'd stop at the distributor and bring back a few cases for people who would "preorder" from us ... i guess my fat crippled ass has become a beer snob as i have with my firearms. All my handguns are Rugers and I'm to old to drink cheap beer ...

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
834 Posts
Love scrapple! Born and raised in Philly. I believe scrapple originated from the Amish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Neighbor, another Philly guy here (though I'm a refugee from South Jersey...I married a Fishtown girl).

Scrapple is great! Between the Pennsylvania Dutch and the Amish, you can't get any better scrapple anywhere, IMO.

As for Yuengling, it's my preferred brand too....the little bit of beer I drink these days. One of my ancestors (Great great grandfather, I believe) was a brewmaster there.

Aqualung

Reactions: jarhead127

·
Exchequer
4,756 Posts
Sounds yummy!

I do like a well-made, garlicly, spicy sausage and other types of "peasant food". I just don't want to know what's in it.

Probably why I've never been tempted to try Haggis.o_O

·
Registered
405 Posts
LOL ... did an Ohio guy just reference Yuengling ... LOL ... A friend has a cabin up in Tionesta, Pa and when Yuengling wasn't yet available in Ohio, we'd stop at the distributor and bring back a few cases for people who would "preorder" from us ... i guess my fat crippled ass has become a beer snob as i have with my firearms. All my handguns are Rugers and I'm to old to drink cheap beer ...
I got s speeding ticket in Tionesta back in 05' going to visit the mother in law. 😎. Don't hear that name very often.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
I got s speeding ticket in Tionesta back in 05' going to visit the mother in law. 😎. Don't hear that name very often.
that's the truth ... i was sitting at work and someone asked what my plans were for a long weekend i had scheduled, i said me and some friends were going to Tionesta for some serious drinking, farting and good eating ... sghortly after that a new engineer walked over and asked if he had heard me correctly, come to find out his dad owns a cabin up there and as it turned out it's not that far from my buddies cabin ...

small world indeed ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts