Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my only complaints about my new-ish PCC is the stock's profile. It's really set up for open sights, making any scope or red dot ride too high for a good cheek weld (at least for me). I know you can buy these risers, but what's the fun in that? :) This takes about an hour.

1) Trace desired riser shape on construction paper. Only one side needs to be done since the other will be mirrored by folding the paper over. I used the fake riser shape that's molded into the PCC stock.

20181026_120627_jpgprep.jpg

2) Add the desired amount of height to your paper mock-up. I added 1 inch so I can use an AR-oriented Vortex red dot. Fold the paper over and cut out the profile.

20181026_121053_jpgprep.jpg

3) Lightly glue the paper template to the Kydex sheet.

20181026_121514_jpgprep.jpg

4) Cut the Kydex and finish up the edges with a series of finer sandpapers. I used a bandsaw with 1/4 inch blade to make the cuts.

20181026_125056_jpgprep.jpg

Finishing up in next post...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did realize posts are moderated before they go up...I accidentally left this hanging. :eek:

I know this is basic stuff for a lot of guys here, but hadn't worked with Kydex before and I thought it was pretty neat.

Here we go:

5) Used a Harbor Freight heat gun to mold the Kydex onto the rifle stock, matching its curve. It took quite a bit of heat, but too much starts affecting the pebble texture, so the heat gun needs to keep moving.

20181026_133217_jpgprep.jpg

20181026_133242_jpgprep.jpg

6) I didn't want to modify the stock, so put heavy-duty Velcro in place. Putting it right above the molded line in the stock gives the cheek riser a range of adjustment of about 3/4 to 1" high.

This locks the piece up rock-solid (within reason) and it would take a big drop or such to dislodge the riser. For more than plinking, I might screw it into the stock, though.

20181027_083103_jpgprep.jpg

7) Mounted up my older model 1X Vortex Spitfire with an etched lighted reticle. I really like this sight.

20181027_083235_jpgprep.jpg

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
That's a neat project.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great idea. Custom fit too! :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Great thread!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
An alternative. Taccom makes a short Picatinny rail that replaces the factory rear sight using the same mounting screw and gives a lower mount for a red dot sight. So it allows you to lower the sight rather than raising the stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An alternative. Taccom makes a short Picatinny rail that replaces the factory rear sight using the same mounting screw and gives a lower mount for a red dot sight. So it allows you to lower the sight rather than raising the stock.
A good point. My first attempt at getting things lined up was an adapter that lets a Burris Fastfire sit behind the rear iron sight, creating a cowitnessed red dot with the irons. I liked it but can't stop tinkering. Maybe I'll throw that project out on another thread.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had that set-up before. The problem with that if you are a high volume shooter and that barrel starts heating up, it will heat up your red dot sight as heat is transferred from the barrel up to your RDS.I just don't feel comfortable with heat and electronics playing with each other.

@Pshooter
So how do I place an order? lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts