Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at Cabela's today & was looking for availability of the ammo described in the title. There was none to be found except a few box's of the Hornady 5.45x39 steel cased stuff! Lots of .223/5.56, the LGS another day earlier this week there wasn't very much ammo there either of the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?? Why is this?? Just curious I was thinking of getting a AK47/74 but now I have changed my mind. The Ruger Mini-14 I have works just fine. The lack of this ammo is this another action related to our current administration?? I had heard the ban on certain Russian imports related to Ukraine & Russian actions???:eek: Just curious????:confused:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't think it's political, I think it's a Cabelas issue. That caliber is easily found elsewhere if you look around. For 762x39 I suspect it's because they don't seem to be selling their Herters version anymore. As that was reboxed Tula, they've never carried that brand and still don't. I have seen some MSM (or something like that) on occasion in Cabelas but they don't seem to get much of it in.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I don't think it's political, I think it's a Cabelas issue. That caliber is easily found elsewhere if you look around. For 762x39 I suspect it's because they don't seem to be selling their Herters version anymore. As that was reboxed Tula, they've never carried that brand and still don't. I have seen some MSM (or something like that) on occasion in Cabelas but they don't seem to get much of it in.
+1. The Cabela's near me has boatloads of ammo, but never very much 7.62x39. Meanwhile, the Fleet Farm down the street almost always has stacks of Wolf ammo, and Wal-Mart always has a bunch of Tula. Not sure why that is, but it is.

OP, take a look at Slickguns.com. Cheap 7.62x39 is abundant there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cheaperthandirt.com and Bulkammo.com have better prices and wayy more ammo to choose from than cabelas.

640 rds. fmj/hp 7.62 x 39 in a spam can $155 at CTD. 1000 case fmj/hp/sp $222-$233...tulammo
5.45x39 fmj 20 rd. box is $6.67 tulammo @ CTD

bulkammo.com
5.45x39 1000 rd. case PMC fmj is $359
1000 rds. 7.62 x 39 fmj tulammo is $269

Thats just a small selection of what you'll find at these two places. They are super fast shippers too.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably just as stated a Cabela's issue with their Herters ammo etc. Not really a problem I was thinking of another rifle to pair up with my Mini 14. I just like the looks of the AK 47/74 rifles. The 5.45x39 is kinda a bastard caliber for reloading vs the 7.62x39. Just not sure what to get. I saw a AK47 variant out of Yugoslavia that's chambered in .223/5.56 accepts AR-15 mags that looks interesting. Get AK47 features in a caliber that I already have. Might have to look at one.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I stopped at a Cabela's a couple weeks ago to look for 7.62 x 39 and noticed the same thing. A dozen or more types of 5.56/.223 but not a single box of 7.62 x 39. A couple months ago the same store had a half dozen different brands of 7.62 x 39. But not now.
If a ban on Russian imports is an issue, why no PMC, PPU, Winchester white box, or Federal American Eagle in 7.62 x 39 ?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Ammunition is on the list of sanctions placed on Russia as a result of the ordeal in the Ukraine. In other words, Russian made guns and ammunition can no longer be exported to the US. There has been a huge volume of Russian made ammo in the "pipeline" and in storage but when it dries up, there won't be any more until the sanctions are lifted. You might want to stock up while supplies are available.

US ammo manufactures do make brass case ammo in 7.62x39 ... I'm not sure about 5.45x39. That said, US made brass case ammo is way more expensive than steel case ammo from Russia. These sanctions will affect Wolf, Tula, and Herters brands ... maybe others too.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I was right on the sanctions I thought I had heard of this going on thanks Iowegan!

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Every now and then Cabella's has a decent price on some of their ammo, but not often. I keep an eye on them, however, because sometimes they have .22 LR at a good price and sometimes .22 Mag, too. The good prices that I like are normally on CCI and PMC.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ammunition is on the list of sanctions placed on Russia as a result of the ordeal in the Ukraine. In other words, Russian made guns and ammunition can no longer be exported to the US. There has been a huge volume of Russian made ammo in the "pipeline" and in storage but when it dries up, there won't be any more until the sanctions are lifted. You might want to stock up while supplies are too.

No, ammo is not on the list. It never has been banned. Which is why you can find Russian 762x39 pretty much everywhere but Cabelas stores. Such as at most Walmarts.

If you are going to claim otherwise then provide the proof. Because I can link to several sources about what is actually sanctioned that do not list ammo whatsoever.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Sarkus, Several months ago, the sanctions list included Russian small arms and ammunition manufacturers but I see that list (according to Wikipedia) has changed to the following: On 11 September 2014, US President Barack Obama said that the United States would join the EU in imposing tougher sanctions on Russia's financial, energy and defense sectors. On 12 September 2014, the United States imposed sanctions on Russia's largest bank (Sberbank), a major arms maker and arctic (Rostec), deepwater and shale exploration by its biggest oil companies ..........

So ... it appears I either got bad information from Wiki or I just didn't keep up with the changes, even though I read similar reports elsewhere on the Internet. Either way, it appears you are right and I am wrong. Sorry for the bad info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts