Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be your choice of firearms if you were to spend three months backpacked to a lake cabin? Its ten miles in with 3,000 feet of elevation gain on an easy trail. You have to take all the food and clothing with you and can only make one trip. How much weight in firearms, ammo and magazines (if needed) would you take?

There is plenty of game and fish around and the weather would be like you would expect of it at 5,000 feet in the Cascade Mountains. Temperatures will run from 20 degrees in the early and late summer to 90 degrees in the middle of summer. You will have rain, snow and sunshine at anytime. The cabin will have all the pots and pans you would need.

This is not a SHTF situation but rather a nice peaceful summer away from the world.

I'm thinking this would be a good time to have a 10/22TD but since I don't own one I'll be taking my Henry Mare's Leg in 22LR. I'll take two 100 round tubes of CCI mini-mags.

I didn't know where else to post this because you can take any rifle, pistol or shotgun you want and can take as much as you can carry in. Just remember more than 60 lbs total weight with clothes and food is about the max you can take.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm drawing a blank on a name at the time but it shoots both 410and .22lr. WHAT IS THE NAME OF THAT GUN!!??!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a Baikal MP94 22mag/.410 over under. I would probaly take tha along with my Henry survival rifle. Do you have to hike this? Or can you take a quad up??

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Baikal MP94 22mag/.410 over under. I would probaly take tha along with my Henry survival rifle. Do you have to hike this? Or can you take a quad up??
You have to hike in. No quad, no parachuting in, and no helicopter. No drop supplies and no sherpas, if you have to ask the anwer is no. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been wanting a 410 for sometime now. But not to take to the cabin. Part of my reason is the ammo is larger and even though I didn't mention it in the OP you have limited capacity in a backpack. A hundred rounds of 410 takes up too much volume.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I'd be wanting something to address the possible encounters with bears, wolves and mountain lions, I'm thinking a 357 up to 454 revolver on the hip for that. A 22lr will put meat in the pot. 10/22TD, or perhaps a revolver even, depends on the shot distances you may expect.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a good 22 bolt like the 77 and a sbh 44 in a 3 3/4 , 200- 22s, 50 -44s
To heavy for me. I'm even thinking about an AR7 but I don't own one and I question how good it would be. I would need the firearm to shoot small game up to 50 yards. Even deer would be too big as I couldn't store the meat.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
That's easy. I'd take my Contender pistol with three barrels, a 22LR, 45/410 shotgun and a 30-30. It would cover any type of game I wanted to hunt and the whole package would easily fit in my backpack. if I had to, I could leave the 30-30 barrel out and use the 45/410 barrel with heavy 45 loads, but accuracy of the 45 Colt in these 410/45 Colt barrels is less than optimum for anything but short range work.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be wanting something to address the possible encounters with bears, wolves and mountain lions, I'm thinking a 357 up to 454 revolver on the hip for that. A 22lr will put meat in the pot. 10/22TD, or perhaps a revolver even, depends on the shot distances you may expect.
My experience with brown bear in the Cascade wilderness shows they are afraid of me as they aren used to seeing humans. Only lowland bear in populated areas are a problem. The Cascades don't have grizzles. And the likelihood of a wolve or mountain lion attack is slim.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's easy. I'd take my Contender pistol with three barrels, a 22LR, 45/410 shotgun and a 30-30. It would cover any type of game I wanted to hunt and the whole package would easily fit in my backpack. if I had to, I could leave the 30-30 barrel out and use the 45/410 barrel with heavy 45 loads, but accuracy of the 45 Colt in these 410/45 Colt barrels is less than optimum for anything but short range work.
How much would all of that weigh with ammo?

·
Registered
873 Posts
My 6.5" .357 Magnum Blackhawk. It is SS so it will be resistant to the weather. It only weighs three pounds, so I can take along more ammo. Add along that it fits in a nice holster. It also has some more punch than any .22lr ever dreamed off.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
My experience with brown bear in the Cascade wilderness shows they are afraid of me as they aren used to seeing humans. Only lowland bear in populated areas are a problem. The Cascades don't have grizzles. And the likelihood of a wolve or mountain lion attack is slim.
I'd still be packing at least a LCR 357 just in case, but that's me. Never know, it may help with a 2 legged predator that happens along. Lightweight insurance IMO.

But for the rest the 22lr will be a great companion in as light a package as you can accurately shoot out to your 50 yds. estimate.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd still be packing at least a LCR 357 just in case, but that's me. Never know, it may help with a 2 legged predator that happens along. Lightweight insurance IMO.

But for the rest the 22lr will be a great companion in as light a package as you can accurately shoot out to your 50 yds. estimate.
Do you hear bango music? :D I've backpacked all of my adult life and have spent weeks in the moutains at a time and have never had problems with animals wanting to eat me. I have had problems with bear in campgrounds though. The Cascades aren't like the Rocky Mountains where I would want something bigger for self-defense. Same if I was hiking in Alaska.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
That was what I figured 44 Mag on the belt and a 22 LR rifle, compass, combo spin cast and fly rod with small lures, flies and hooks, sleeping bag, axe or small saw, intrenching tool, decent knives, rope, 10# of rice, as many freeze dried meals as I could carry, first aid kit, medication, halogen tablets, rain gear, extra clothes, tea, salt, soap, toothpaste & T brush and two paperback books.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was what I figured 44 Mag on the belt and a 22 LR rifle, compass, combo spin cast and fly rod with small lures, flies and hooks, sleeping bag, axe or small saw, intrenching tool, decent knives, rope, 10# of rice, as many freeze dried meals as I could carry, first aid kit, medication, halogen tablets, rain gear, extra clothes, tea, salt, soap, toothpaste & T brush and two paperback books.
I feel safer in the mountains then I do in the city. I wouldn't take a firearm for defense.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts