Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the People's Republic of New Yawk!

New to the forum but a long time Ruger enthusiast.

I'm looking to restock my new M77 Hawkeye .308 All Weather. While the black synthetic is ok, I'd ideally like to find a wood laminate target/varmint style stock to add some weight and heft.

I called Ruger directly and customer service said they don't offer the laminate stocks for sale (not sure why?).

Was eye-balling the Boyds Prairie Hunter but the forend doesn't seem wide like a target stock. Appreciate any suggestions or shared experience.

Also put about 10 hours work "fine-tuning" the bolt, action, trigger, and removed glass beaded finish from stainless. Can share more details or pics if anyone interested.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Look at Richard's Microfit stocks, they have options to mix and match different forends with buttstock designs.

The Boyd's Prairie Hunter is not a target stock. It's not a narrow forend, but it's round. Prairie "HUNTER"...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm looking to restock my new M77 Hawkeye .308 All Weather. While the black synthetic is ok, I'd ideally like to find a wood laminate target/varmint style stock to add some weight and heft..
Well, the "add weight" part would certainly come through.

I'm thinking of picking up a non-laminated walnut stock to replace my Stainless Laminated .243. The lamination process and feature adds a lot of heft, relative to a buddies Hawkeye in the same chambering. Too much weight, in fact.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It Depends on the Wood

Well, the "add weight" part would certainly come through.

I'm thinking of picking up a non-laminated walnut stock to replace my Stainless Laminated .243. The lamination process and feature adds a lot of heft, relative to a buddies Hawkeye in the same chambering. Too much weight, in fact.
It all depends on the wood used for the laminate stock. I have a Don Stith benchrest stock for one of my rifles. The stock is a sandwich of Sassafras with a Redwood center. Even though the stock is physically larger than the OEM stock, it weighs next to nothing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stocky's sporter laminated stock on a .308 Hawkeye SS RSI by Lipsey's (to save the walnut stock from hunting scrapes). It shot well, fit perfectly, but was about a pound heavier than the walnut stock. It has a fairly wide forend, but not wide and flat like a target stock.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It's true that some Laminate stocks can be heavy, some can be light. But we're not talking about comparing a laminate aftermarket stock to the factory walnut (heavy) stock... The All-Weather in question has a light synthetic stock - even my light Boyd's Prairie Hunter was heavier than the factory tupperware on the All-Weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts