Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello carry folks,

I just upgraded my CCW to a P365 and am seriously considering adding a laser to it. My eyes are getting weaker with age, if I have time to concentrate on focus techniques I have no problem in a range setting, in a high stress quick decision and target acquisition situation it would hamper accuracy. Since it is a SiG Sauer I have as my primary carry now I am eyeing the Lima365 green laser as I have seen lots of positive reviews with very little negative, but has anyone run one of these and would you recommend it or something else on a P365?
I have never used a laser on a pistol before but understand the benefits and downsides of them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Get the laser. My 70 year old eyes are fixed with new lenses, but I still need help. Slowly, I've been putting lasers on all my favorites. Have one on my American 45, one on my GP100 357, just ordered one on my GP100 44spl, have one on my Smith 637, and one on my Stevens shotgun. The rest have red dots or reflex sights as I can budget for them. I recently bought a 365XL with the RomeoZero, and ordered it that way because I know I need to shoot with two eyes open from now on.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Have a laser on my 45ACP SR22, my Mossberg which came with a Viridian Laser already sighted in for 20 yards. At 71 my hands are still steady but I still practice holding the laser steady on target. Practice is the key word when learning to shoot with a laser.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Have a laser on my 45ACP SR22, my Mossberg which came with a Viridian Laser already sighted in for 20 yards. At 71 my hands are still steady but I still practice holding the laser steady on target. Practice is the key word when learning to shoot with a laser.
I agree with this. When I first tried a laser I was so busy chasing it trying to make it hold still that I forgot the fundamentals. As with all things, practice will pay off when the pressure is on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There have some issues noted with the button on the Lima 365. Don't know if they are true or not:

Looking for a GREEN Laser for my P365 | SIG Talk
Thank for link! From what I gather the activation button issues were with first generation, and with modification of making button more protruding that may have alleviated those activation issues? But it would be nice to get some input for those who had issues with first ones and subsequently got later models to compare.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
834 Posts
A few years back, I bought a Crimson Trace CMR-201 unit for my 9mm American Pistol. I got it more as a novelty than anything, but learned to appreciate it's usefulness in situations where low or inconsistent light prevents clear focus on the sights. I kept the unit on.

Then, when my father in law expressed an interest in upgrading his home defense gun from a J-frame .38 Special to a semi-auto, I picked him up a Security 9 that a buddy of mine was selling.

While my father in law can focus on sights if he concentrates and shifts his focus, he has voids/blank spots in his range of vision. I was concerned that in a crisis, he may not have that opportunity to focus carefully, so I picked up another CMR-201 for his Sec9.
Here's his setup now:

I really like the Crimson Trace units and have found their Customer Service to be great. In fact, the second unit I bought for Dad's Sec9 had some issues with it in that the beam seemed a bit scattered and not a pinpoint dot. Even though I'd bought it off eBay (even though it was listed as "New, but not in packaging", it had been mounted on a gun before) and not a direct retailer, the CT folks were very helpful in trying to remedy the issue. First, they suggested a good, thorough cleaning of the lens, which helped, but didn't fully solve the problem. They eventually send me out an entirely new unit.

They also have a program where you can submit every year for replacement batteries for their units, for the life of the unit.

Just for kicks, here's my RAP with its CMR-201:

I would suggest taking a look at the CT units, they have them in green, too.

Aqualung

·
Registered
86 Posts
I found that I look for the green dot more than I care too.
If the light is just right it stands out, but most times I'm squinting for it.

My eyes are getting worse, bi-focals and all that jazz.
I had a set of XS Sights DXT2 that I had tried out on another gun. Huge orange dot that I can see with or without glasses but only useful to me up to about 15 yards so I swapped those out and stuck them in a drawer with the rest.

I didn't like the X-Ray3 sights on one of my other guns and didn't like them on my 365 so I tried the XS sights and found them to be just right for the 365. The sights aren't target sights and the 365 isn't a Bullseye gun so that works for me.
The front dot goes from orange to white when it's been exposed to light but stays orange in the light.
In low light it's pretty bright with the green tritium dot in the middle.

I picked up a 365XL slide and a Romeo Zero to try out. I didn't care for it as much as I did the 365 with DXT2 sights so sold it off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW - I have a Lima on one of my P365s. The button takes some getting used to but it’s usable. Not my favorite - I prefer paddle switches to grip buttons - but it does look nice on the P365.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went ahead and ordered the Lima365 green laser, got a good buy on it, $160 delivered through Sportmans Warehouse. I figured I will give a try, I have to break the P365 in anyway so will be putting a few rounds through it soon. If it does not work as advertised or have any quality issues then I can return it. At that point I will look into ones like the CT, the CMR-206 model looks like it would be good, I like idea of the toggle on/off, a downside is I would have to get an picitini adapter to mount it, so would be $170 for laser and mount. CT does make a P365 dedicated one, model LG-422G, it has the finger button activation like the Lima and it’s expensive, around $270.

Reactions: BoBo522

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just received my third Crimson Trace grip, a CTLG-344 grip for my GP100 44spl. Second one is on my GP100 357. First is one on my S&W 637, from the factory. Now three lasers, three reflex sights, and one red dot on my handguns. I'm liking shooting with both eyes open much better.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I'm not a fan of lasers or flashlights on guns and I know that puts me in the minority. I see people agonizing over ounces and millimeters for their CCW and then they add bulk and weight by adding a flashlight or RMR. In most cases a CCW will in reality end up being a point and shoot weapon. The range will be short and there won't be time for precision aiming. You might not even be able to extend your arms or use both hands. In that case RMR's, flashlights, lasers, night sights, etc won't do you much good. In theory a laser might be helpful in a point and shoot scenario but someone that has practiced point shooting will be just as fast and maybe even faster because they won't be looking for the red/green dot. Fractions of seconds will count and the less you have to consider the better off you'll be in the long run.

Lasers, RMR's and flashlights make a lot more sense on a nightstand gun but on a CCW I think they are generally unnecessary. Learning to point shoot quickly with both eyes open is a better plan IMO. There's no substitution for repetition and range time. Practice, practice, practice. YMMV.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I shoot at paper, pop cans, and occasionally steel with my lasers and reflex sights. My S&W 637 with CT grip, and my P365XL with the RomeoZero are if I need to carry. Need them for my eyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts