Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this from my Step-Father. He bought it in MI in 84. I've done google searches, but haven't found much. Does it have any collector value?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah yes, I remember these from the good old days. I think there was a nice magazine write up on them in the '84 or '85 issue of Assault Rifles. If I remember correctly there were versions made for Mini-14s, ARs, shotguns, and pistols. I'll look around and see if in can locate that article.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is that a light or laser under the barrel? Hopefully it wasn't stored with the batteries inside, or it may be a fused mess in there by now.

Good old Wikipedia says that company made "SureFire" branded lights in 1985, and then became SureFire LLC in 2000. Is there any law enforcement markings on the rifle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's a really big (size not power) laser. Batteries fit in the buttstock and have been stored separately. They're 30+ year old NiCads. They still work, but only hold a charge for a couple of minutes. The laser still works, but nothing like the modern Crimson Trace ones (3" circle at 50 yards). I've got the receipt he paid 1290 (about 3000 today) for it in 1984. The local gun store here who put some of the rest of the collection on gunbroker.com for me said a full auto AR15 back then was about $500. The local store wasn't interested in putting it on gunbroker so I was thinking of doing it myself. I really don't want to put the action on a new stock if it's got some collector value.
There's no law enforcement markings on it. I've got the original receipt from a gun store in MI and it looks like they ordered it from Laser Products.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's some interesting info on Laser Products Corp. from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SureFire

John Matthews founded Newport Corporation in 1969, which specialized in industrial lasers. After Matthews developed a laser sight; he, Peter Hauk, and Ed Reynolds founded the spin-off company, Laser Products Corporation on October 17, 1979. In 1984, the company supplied the Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department with shotgun laser sights for use during the 1984 Summer Olympics. Laser Products developed its first "SureFire" branded product – a handgun mounted light in 1985. Laser Products Corporation became SureFire, LLC in 2000. More recently, SureFire attained ISO9001:2000 certification in 2008

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined this forum to establish any information on the original laser aimed Mini14.
I can confirm that these were in fact made and sold (or loaned) to the Los Angeles PD as my brother was involved in that Olympic protection detail. After the Olympics I actually sat in Dr. John's office and we purchased several of these weapons. All have since been sold except the 1 Mini 14.

I have no idea of value but am looking to part with it as I live in California and the flash suppressor and is part of the gun that cannot be removed and this makes it an non-approved gun in California.

I do know that there were very few made and that they should have some value especially to Mini 14 aficionados

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't seem to have any collector value and Surefire wasn't interested when I contacted them. It didn't get to the reserve on gunbroker.com and only 2 people bid on it. I've seen 1 other on gunbroker, but don't remember if it sold or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Gary,
Theres one on gunbroker for $2800 with a buy it now of $10,000. That seems pretty high to me. Well I'll hold on to it until someone offers me a worth while price or a good trade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for letting me know there's one on there. It didn't show up on my saved search. Hope they get what they're asking. It's been a few years, but don't think bids on mine went over $1,000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts