Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You could get a regular stock, though it will have a longer length of pull than the compact does. But considering how many people change the stocks on their 10/22, you could probably get one second-hand for not a lot of money. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Why would you want a laser on a 22 rifle? Is this going to be your CCW? Seems kinda silly to me... Rifles are for long range shots. That's why you put scopes on them. If you want to plink at short range, put a red dot/reflex type sight on it, or use the open sights. Lasers are for self defense guns

·
Registered
16 Posts
We bought my wife the compact for the shorter LOP and she absolutely loved the fiber optic sights, but upon scoping it and having tried all kinds of mounts they are just too low to use, anyone know of a different mounting plate that will give use of both besides bringing it to a machine shop and having them mill the mounts shorter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't ask whether or not someone thinks I NEED a laser on a .22, I asked if anyone knew of one that would fit a 10/22 Compact. You can call Ruger and tell them they're silly for making a 10/22 laser and their customers equally so for buying them. Hubby also mentioned changing the stock, but that would defeat the purpose of getting the Compact in the first place, so not an option. I understand that these usually come with an optic sight, but mine did not. I wonder why. I guess I'll let hubs have a go at coming up with a way to mount a generic.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I asked why you thought you needed a laser on a rifle. Why do you? I then gave you my opinion. I then offered appropriate alternatives. If you think your second post here needs to be snarky, your not going to last long.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I asked why you thought you needed a laser on a rifle. Why do you? I then gave you my opinion. I then offered appropriate alternatives. If you think your second post here needs to be snarky, your not going to last long.
Really? You asked why and then the opinion you gave was that she should buy an optic instead. The OP asked a very specific question. With significantly more than 2 posts here, you should appreciate the value of sticking to the topic of any given thread. Imagine what an irritating place this would be if all people did was call into question the reasons for anyone wanting to find out some pieces of info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My reasons for wanting to try a laser.................

You asked why I needed a laser, told me it's silly, educated me on the purpose of rifles, gave me your list of what I should use instead, and ended with a statement on the sole purpose of a laser sight, apparently assuming my question meant I knew nothing about anything and needed enlightening. I guess I should've included more details, so here they are: I'm not new to .22 rifles, I've tried a Red Dot and I have a Scope. I've never used an optic sight and just recently found out that this gun usually comes with one, mine did not. I have also never owned a laser but have wanted one since seeing one on a friend's gun. There's reason number 1 for wanting a laser... I just do. Maybe I'll find I won't like it once I get it, but I want to try it. Reason #2, I have predominantly and successfully used open sights all my life, but my eyes are aging, and as is often the case when that happens, I have great vision at a distance, but close up vision sucks, and there are days when that front sight is a blur, at best. A scope is fine sometimes, in some situations. I'm not a big fan in my situation, and I didn't care for the Red Dot when I had one of those, but that was 10 yrs ago. I may try one again, but, right now, when I found out that Ruger makes a laser specifically for their standard 10/22, I was excited to try one of those on my new gun, about which I'm also excited. When I realized it wouldn't work because the Compact doesn't have a barrel band, I came here to ask if anyone knows if there's a Ruger laser sight made specifically to fit the Compact, or maybe someone has retrofitted that laser for a Compact or has info on another brand that would work well on a Compact. Since this is a "Ruger Forum" I thought there might be a good chance that I'd find someone who had experience or info they could share on that particular topic. So there it is....my whole thought process and all my reasons for wanting to try a laser, for asking the question and for choosing this forum to do so....and at this point, I would guess everyone has left, not having the time or inclination to read the novel. Perhaps a phone call to Ruger would've been the best next step. I'll try that. Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have the LaserMax on my 10/22 and it's fun. I wasn't looking for a laser, but it came with with a Black Friday deal so it was a bonus.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a specific laser for the compact. One option would be to add a picatinny rail to mount a universal style laser. I think there are a few companies that make picatinny mounts to replace the one that comes with the 10/22.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would think that a competent gunsmith could add a picatinny rail to the bottom of the barrel just in front of the stock where you could mount a laser. That would give you iron sights for distance and the laser for up close. Similar to what we do on pistols. I have read that some have successfully "glued" on a rail, but I'm not sure what adhesive was used.
Here's another option if the barrel diameter is right...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261289597716?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

BTW - I have a Green Laser for sale in the classified section :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts