1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
That one in Japan saved countless lives because it effectively ended the war and no other country had the weapon. In todays world all that would be accomplished would be turning the earth into a smoldering cinder. RIP to the now entire crew of the Enola Gay.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Enola Gay was named after the Mother of the pilot, Paul Tibbets. After leaving the Air Force Paul Tibbets worked for and became president of Executive Jet Avaition in Columbus, Ohio. I grew up in Columbus and clearly remember Tibbets doing interviwes with the local media on almost every anniversarie of the bombing.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The Enola Gay was named after the Mother of the pilot, Paul Tibbets. After leaving the Air Force Paul Tibbets worked for and became president of Executive Jet Avaition in Columbus, Ohio. I grew up in Columbus and clearly remember Tibbets doing interviwes with the local media on almost every anniversarie of the bombing.
An interesting 'growing up' memory...not many of those individuals left anymore! My wife's paternal grandfather survived Omaha Beach on D-Day...he has some interesting stories of the war...but refuses to speak about that day! Terrible memories!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My wife's paternal grandfather survived Omaha Beach on D-Day...he has some interesting stories of the war...but refuses to speak about that day! Terrible memories!
With all due respect to those who sacrificed and served I believe that the main reason that folks from that era don't speak of it is because it was not a glorious triumph but rather a necessary tragedy.
Or to put that another way the brave men and women who volunteered did so not for their own glory and the bragging rights of their accomplishment but rather so that they or the very least their fellow citizens could return to their peaceful lives and put the entire experience behind them.
Yes it is true that you cannot forget your history else be doomed to repeat it, just ask the folks who didn't put guns on the F4 or who disbanded the sniper program, but is should also be true that the majority of the citizenry of a free nation at peace should not have to be constantly reminded of the horrors of war.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Or to put that another way the brave men and women who volunteered did so not for their own glory and the bragging rights of their accomplishment but rather so that they or the very least their fellow citizens could return to their peaceful lives and put the entire experience behind them.

You never forget or put the entire experience behind you. It's something you just earn to live with over time... I still wake up in a cold sweet now and then and it's been over 45 years...

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
RIP Sir,

You may have save my fathers life..

God bless you.
My feelings as well. My father was poised to be part of the invasion of the Japanese mainland when the bombs ended the war. Instead he became part of the Army of occupation.
Actually I have long believed I have been here to live my life because of what these men did. I was born after my dad came home from the war.

·
Registered
94 Posts
True, my dad was on Okinawa staging for the invasion of the mainland when the bombs were dropped.

They expected to take up to a million casualties if they would have had to invade the Japanese home land.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts