Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember a thread I started about a year or so ago about my wife's uncle (Joe) who is her favorite uncle and a very close friend of mine. At that time he had developed cancer in his nasal and sinus area so began the normal regimen of chemo and radiation treatments. This was rough on him but being a real trooper he stuck it out. A few months ago he was given a clean bill of health by his doctors and was scheduled for just some periodic check ups. All was well for a while until about a month ago he started complaining of severe back pain (of all places) so he returned to the doctor. Following an examination and cat scan, etc. they discovered four new tumors in his brain and possibly more that were not showing up yet. He was given the option of further treatment involving targeted radiation in the tumor areas but was also advised more could show up later on. He elected to have no further treatment so he returned home to spend whatever time he has left. He and my wife's aunt only live a few miles from us so we have visited almost daily. It's sad to watch someone who used to be health and robust slowly at first and then rapidly decline. He has Hospice coming out daily but not much they can do other than to make him as comfortable as possible. He was wheelchair bound for a while but now is confined to his bed and in all likelihood only has a few days left. I spoke with his wife today and said that he spent a lot of time crying last night and said that all he wants to do is just go to sleep forever. This is going to be devastating to my wife and I when he passes but it also affect many others who knew him well.

Cancer is insidious and can strike anyone at any time. I'm just hoping that this final journey of his is a short one as he is ready to meet his maker.

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
I remember your post about him, and am sorry to hear of his condition deteriorating. I'm praying for peace and comfort for Joe, and for your Family.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
My condolences to you and your family.

I know firsthand the difficulty with losing a close family member. My aunt passed in July from multiple myeloma (cancer). She progressively worsened over the past two years (especially after my mom passed in 2013). My aunt was the last surviving sibling (and oldest) by my maternal grandmother. Today, 9/21, she would have been 84 years old.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Hornet, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you and your wife and all the rest of his family treasure every moment you have left with her uncle. Then keep him alive through those memories. Will be praying for comfort for all of you.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wish the government and medical facilities would join forces and go all out to find a cure for cancer. I wish they would make that their top priority.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
My dear Hornet, please know that you and your family will be in my prayers. These sad situations are so stressful and depressing. One minute life is good, the next it changes forever....

The most trying times in my life have been watching loved ones, be it friends or relatives, deteriorate before my eyes. However, through prayers & the passing of time I'm able to find a smile when remembering the years I have spent with them.

Just pray when you need strength, and you will be able to be there for your family. Prayer always brings strength to make it through.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.
Can't say it any better.
Thoughts and prayers for your wife's uncle Joe, your wife and family, and you as well.

·
Pony Soldier
8,742 Posts
Hang in there Hornet.
I have felt the pain of great people taken too young by cancer.
Good people you have loved, make you a better person.
God bless Joe.

Greg

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
My wife and I have been battling her colorectal cancer since November 2013 and we are nearing home plate. She is under going chemo one more time and then undoing the colostomy.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,543 Posts
You're a good man for being there for your wife, her aunt, and for Joe.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hornet, my thoughts are with you and your family. I also recently went through this with a dear friend. May the transition be swift and merciful.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My condolences to your family and you. I just lost my favorite uncle this past friday and buried him yesterday so i know you guys are in pain. Take comfort in that his hard painful journey is over and he will be better off than us.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Cancer is a terrible thing to have and my heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my Mom to cancer a few short years ago one week she was fine the next she was in Hospice and gone. May your Uncles journey be swift so the pain and suffering he has to endure is at a minimum. You are in our prayers

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all of you. Your thoughts and prayers are sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Hornet, my thoughts go out to you and your wife and her family. I hope Joe's passing is as peaceful as it can be.

I don't know how hospice workers do it. But they're special people. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to help him and his loved ones.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
My prayers go out to your family. My dad was under the care of Hospice. They made sure his passing was dignified and peaceful.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You and yours remain in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a quick update on my wife's uncle Joe. Talked to his wife today and she said he woke up in bed (he is now wheelchair bound and close to being bed ridden) around 4 am last night crying and said he just wanted to die and could not understand why it wasn't happening. It's very sad to watch someone close to you slowly dying in front of your eyes when you know he's hoping hour by hour that it will end and end soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts