Ruger Forum banner

Last shot Ruger.

2K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  sheepdog 
#1 ·
When was the last time you shot you Ruger[?][^][?]
I shoot my Sp-101 .357 mag about once a week. Everytime I get to the gun range I run a box of my roll your own. Their not fire crackers but they are still going at about 1150 to 1250 feet a second.
I use this gun for CC a lot and I want to be on my game if I have to use it. I also use a 1911/.45 for CC and I run about a box through it a week too. Oh my box's are a 100rds.
How about any others out there, tell us how you use yours[?]:D[?]

#2 ·
Unfortunatly I live right outside of Atlanta, Georgia so shooting in my back yard isn't permitted. We have a 25' indoor shooting range down the road, but I don't really care for indoor ranges. The nearest outdoor range is just north of Gainesville, GA which is a 45 minute drive. I try to hit this range monthly, but lately I haven't been able to due to a new baby.

#7 ·
I live on a 1000acre beef ranch north of Tulsa, OK. I carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig while I'm out on the place. I shoot at least one mag through it a day due to all the armadillos that are about to carry me off. I use the 230gr wolf fmj, so they are cheap to shoot and do a very good job on those possum on a half shell...

#13 ·
Keith Smith, I wonder what size round the person was shooting the praire dogs with?

#15 ·
That's what I figured, it's my understanding that the 22-250 is like the ultimate coyote and varmint round and is a flat shooting round. I think I might by the 22-250 barrel for my T/C Encore rifle, since a barrel is cheap and I can still use the same stock/reciever assembly even though it is a single shot.

#20 ·
Lemme see... I shot my 5.5" SBH last week. Below is a pic. The target is from 3-4 years back, but is pretty typical of what it and I can do.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea... [8D]

#21 ·
Come on now, Ledberel, you're showing your youth! An old Gov't model is great for driving fence staples, twisting wire, and other things you'd NEVER use a SBH for---that would be a sin....the old .45 has graced many a saddlebag and toolbox...back when you could get an old military model for $30 or so.

#22 ·
Wouldn't it be "neat" (maybe even GREAT?) if Ruger would come back out with the "Hawkeye" format, BUT in other calibers AND make it in a "single shot". Stainless steel too..................
They could even use some of this "new" stuff, like the .204 or the .17 HMR or a.22 Hornet. Yes, I would stay away from the tapered,bottle-necked cartridges, like the .256. Thats where they had all the 'problems'. Shouldn't be with a lower pressure round and straight wall case.................
They should have done that way back when, to compete with the T/C's.
A Hawkeye, single shot "varmint" gun, for YOUR 'armadillos and OUR ground hogs(wood chucks).....

Different rotating breach block , for 'other' calibers and the 'proper' bored barrel.

Bet the 'lawyers' figured out that someone would change the breach and mix it with the "wrong" barrel........oh well, it was a 'thought"

#25 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

What's wrong with Armadillos? Just target practice, or do they dig holes causing a hazard to live stock?
Dig big holes that can break livestock legs, and cause problems mowing. To Ranchers they come next after wild hogs for distruction of pasture and hay land.
Don't mean to be controversial KP97DC, but the armadillos were there first and serve a purpose in the larger scheme of things. I realize that they may be an impediment to the rancher but it seems to me that to kill them all off would alter the natural balance of the area and could cause an increase or decrease in another beneficial animal or insect.

What say you?
20-25 years ago you would rarely see armadillos in this part of the country (eastern Oklahoma). They pretty much stayed in the southwest (Texas, NM, AZ, Mexico). However, with the expansion of the US highway system, bridges gave them the means to travel to parts of the country in which they were not native.

As for the balance of things, I know for a fact that armadillos (along with cattle egerts) are the bobwhite quails worst enemies!

I'll kill any armadillo that I see and not feel guilty about it.

#26 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

quote:Originally posted by Ruger Packer
20-25 years ago you would rarely see armadillos in this part of the country (eastern Oklahoma). They pretty much stayed in the southwest (Texas, NM, AZ, Mexico). However, with the expansion of the US highway system, bridges gave them the means to travel to parts of the country in which they were not native.

As for the balance of things, I know for a fact that armadillos (along with cattle egerts) are the bobwhite quails worst enemies!

I'll kill any armadillo that I see and not feel guilty about it.
That pretty much explains it to me...thanks. I guess I would use them for target practice too given your explanation except for one thing. Since they are native to Texas like you say and Texas is, or was, one if not THE largest cattle ranching state in the country, then how have they co-existed for so long without hurting that industry so badly?
Well, you know, Texas has prairie dogs too. And they're a menance to livestock as well.

How do you know they didn't hurt the cattle industry in Texas?

It just may be that dem Texicans did a pretty good job of keeping their numbers in check. Thats why there is such a mass exodus now! Them armadillos want OUT of Texas because their numbers are being slaughtered! [8D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.