Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I purchased a 10/22 takedown model 21182. It is the Davidson's exclusive Magpul backpacker model. This would be my second takedown model. It seemed like a very good purchase. I received it and realized the barrel sat funny in the barrel channel of the Magpul Backpacker. It was not centered and leaned to the right. I asked the 10/22 facebook group and everyone said it was a defect and not normal. I adjusted the barrel knob and it locks up fine. TURNS OUT, that the latching/locking block is LOOSE. When the barrel sits in the forearm you can nudge the barrel and it will literally move. I took out the barrel assembly and flipped it over. The latching/locking block can move.

I have emailed and contacted Ruger but I was outside of their working hours. I want to know before I take apart the latching/locking block.. if anyone knows what the torque specs I should apply to the two screws the bolt the block to the actual barrel? Should I use lock-tite?

I have asked 3 different 10/22 facebook groups and noone knows. I can't find the torque specs in the Ruger manual either. I am a little disappointed in this purchase and was wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,314 Posts
miracleboi123, Even though it should not have happened, loose screws are an easy fix. I would not be so concerned about using the perfect torque …. just get them nice and tight and you will be OK. Further, I seriously doubt Ruger uses a torque wrench to tighten the latching block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was loose from the factory. There was zero loctite applied to either bolt. I hand tightened as much as i could without stripping the bolt face. Once I put it in my midwest industries handguard it was obviously crooked... so just aligned it by pushing it over with my hand. Ruger could have done a way better job securing the locking block to the barrel. I'm hoping they improve this shortcoming on future gen 10/22 TD.

Hello everyone! I purchased a 10/22 takedown model 21182. It is the Davidson's exclusive Magpul backpacker model. This would be my second takedown model. It seemed like a very good purchase. I received it and realized the barrel sat funny in the barrel channel of the Magpul Backpacker. It was not centered and leaned to the right. I asked the 10/22 facebook group and everyone said it was a defect and not normal. I adjusted the barrel knob and it locks up fine. TURNS OUT, that the latching/locking block is LOOSE. When the barrel sits in the forearm you can nudge the barrel and it will literally move. I took out the barrel assembly and flipped it over. The latching/locking block can move.

I have emailed and contacted Ruger but I was outside of their working hours. I want to know before I take apart the latching/locking block.. if anyone knows what the torque specs I should apply to the two screws the bolt the block to the actual barrel? Should I use lock-tite?

I have asked 3 different 10/22 facebook groups and noone knows. I can't find the torque specs in the Ruger manual either. I am a little disappointed in this purchase and was wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts