Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals I haven't been on here for years so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place (plus I'm bad with technogy and computers)
To my main question. I'm currently tied up in a trade and a fella is offering me a 88-89 GP100 that looks like it's in somewhat decent shape but I can tell its definently been used. Holster wear on whole left side some dings and scratches basically the usual for a well used weapon and he doesn't have the original grips. I'd like to know the value of that GP in that shape described so I don't end up getting the sour end of the deal. Thanks

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
First off welcome back to the Ruger Forum. Is this GP100 Stsinless or Blued?? Stsinless can always be polished out. When you cycle or work the action cock the hammer back etc. is there any play in the cylinder? If it's been shot a bunch it will show it but a GP100 can take a lot of abuse. Now you can go to Altamont Grips & get the factory Ruger Rubber grips with the wood grip inserts if you want. Now my last question to you can you take this gun out doors or to a shooting range & test fire it?? I do not know what your cash cost but if this gun looked very good & a tight lock up in the action. I have seen nice GP100's from $350-$500.00 depending on the shape of the gun!!! Personally like the older GP100's to the new ones. Good luck hope your gun deal /trade works out!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
As I've been told the older GPs don't command any kind of premium but don't really lose all that much value either. Hard to give a guess without pics but from what you've described I'll throw out a number like $300. But could go up or down from that depending on a number of factors. If there's no rust and it shoots well, $350 is not unfair at all. I'd say $400 or up is getting a bit sour as you say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is the stainless with the 4 inch bbl. all I have is pics on my phone so I haven't seen it in person. They guy said it shoots and functions with no issues and he also said the timing and lock up is real good. I hear they go from 300-400 bucks depending on shape out of some research Iv done. I'm looking to trade my 2014 stainless sr9c with ammo and 3 mags because I'm in a dyer need for a .357 and I'd like to stay with a Ruger line up of revolvers. Does that sounds like a good trade to anybody? I don't think it is but anyinput would be nice

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Keep the SR9C and mags, that GP100 sounds like an ex-police or security beater gun.......

Don't give up a proven gun you own, for what sounds like someone trying to unload a tackle box gun.

At least, get a hands on evaluation of the condition (if you can) to make sure it hasn't been beat to death.

A "well used" late 80's GP100 is still a $300-350 gun, like was said, you can go on Davidson's or GunBroker right now and find a brand new 4" stainless .357 GP100 for $500.

I have a 1989 GP100, the exact same type you describe, and it shoots the exact same as one I have made in 2014, there is no difference. There's no such thing as "older GP100's are better", this is Ruger, not S&W:)

In fact my best shooting GP100 is a 2015 4" .38 model, shoots like a laser.

There is no premium attached to a late 80's GP100 vs. any other used GP of any production year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick info guys I appreciate it. I knew my 9 was worth keeping but I was just curious to know the value of that old gun and yeah ExArmy11b I think it's been beat to death. I got some newer up close pics and the forcing cone and the barrel crown has been damaged so I'm gonna pass this thing all together unless he is gonna sell real cheap. Again thanks for the quick info it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Avoid it, probably been beat with 1,000's of 115 gr. .357's..........The GP100 is a tank but those rounds will hurt any revolver. At any price, if it's beat down, it will be a money pit to fix unless Ruger is willing to rebarrel it for free.......forcing cone damage is a no-go, that's not a do it yourself fix. .Unless the guy was looking to dump it for $200 I would walk from it.

This is why I stick with 158 gr. .357's, and shoot mostly .38 Special at the range. I work too hard to earn the money I spend on guns, I don't need to beat them to death with light bullet .357's for no reason.

Back in the 80's-90's lots of people bought GP100's as "beat around guns", and also many were used simply as tools by law enforcement personnel with little care given to them.

I only buy in person anymore, unless it's something brand new from Davidson's. I've been burned by too many guns that have been beat on. Like the 1/2 lug GP100 I bought, of course supposedly "hardly used", but it had so much endshake it swallowed 2 .002 endshake bearings.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP glad to hear you did your research & passed on this GP100. There will be another gun come up for you. I really like the Ruger GP100 but hey there beaters out there like the one you passed up on. But there are also some very nice used Ruger GP100's or S&W L frame gun out there as well that will meet your needs! My personal needs for a medium framed .357 is my S&W Model 66 which is a great revolver. You might want to consider the Ruger Security Six older then the GP100 but there are some very nice Ruger Security Six's out there as well. Good Luck to you & hope things work out for you to find a nice .357 some day!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts