Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this circa 2011 Remlin 1895 gbl guide gun in April from my buddy with a bunch of ammo. He didn't like shooting it, so he only put about 10 rounds through it. I low balled him on price with the ammo, because I was worried that it was in the era of poor quality. However, it shoots fantastic and I can hit consistent bullseye's at 50 yards with Hornady leverevolution 325 grain ftx's and open sights. It's my backup bear gun now, which I will carry with confidence. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure...

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Hmmm... do you feel bad about lowballing him?

I have a Remlin 336W from 2012 or 2013. It's no beauty queen, but it shoots straight.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Marlins when Remington bought out Marlin yes the early Marlin's had problems. But I wouldn't be afraid to but a newer Marlin they are very nice quality rifles. BTW Planecat that is a beautiful rifle you have there. I see several Marlin 45/70's for sale & I think most of the time that these rifles are sold again is because of the very stout recoil a 1895 Marlin 45/70 has!!! The OP's rifle does look like it has a nice quality recoil pad on it the 45/70 could serve very very well as a main bear gun as well!!!:D;)

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Congrats on picking up a great rifle. I have the exact same gun and it's also a RemLin. Never had a problem. I liked it so much I traded another gun for a NIB 1895GS, also a RemLin. They're both very accurate and the action on the RemLin 1895's are smoother than my JM 336. The metal to wood fit is okay. Not great, not bad either. All the metal on both guns is perfect. Mine are shooters and I'm not the least bit disappointed. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours a lot.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Remind me not to do business with a lowballer! With friends like that who needs enemies!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Remind me not to do business with a lowballer! With friends like that who needs enemies!
I try my best to be fair and honest in dealing with friends, some of the guys I know are ready and willing to take advantage of anyone they can. I can truthfully say I've even given some friends more than the asking price because of the dire situations they found themselves in.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My Remlin .45/70 was pretty smooth out of the box with a decent trigger pull. I lubed up the action and cycled it a few hundred times, pulling the trigger each time, but lowering the hammer down with my thumb. (I have some A-Zoom snap caps, but didn't want to have to load them back in each time). That and firing it a few hundred times so far, has smoothed it up even more, and the trigger pull has improved as well, at 4 pounds with none of the infamous "Marlin Flop".
Polishing, wood to metal fit, and accuracy are also very nice. The rear sight dovetail appeared to be a little canted, (that seems to be a common problem with some of the newer Marlins), but that did not bother me as I put a receiver peep on it right away, and filled the rear dovetail with a blank.
Mine is a special run of the octagon barreled Cowboy model, several thousand were made for Cabela's with the normal 26 inch barrel of the Cowboy reduced to 18 Inches. Much handier for timber hunting than the long barreled ones, it is even lighter, just a bit over 6 pounds. Shooting a stout hunting load out of this, (or any 1895 for that matter) will get your attention. So I put a Supercell pad on it.
Besides the Williams peep, it now has a Williams Firesight fiber optic front sight, and the front swivel is mounted on the magazine tube with an Uncle Mikes band mount, helps keep your hand from getting pinched by the sling and swivel with heavy recoiling loads.
I have hunted and camped in Alaska and the Rockies for 40 years, and have never been without a Lever .45/70. Marlin came out with the first repeater in .45/70 in 1881, and it has always been a good choice for sportsmen where the critters can run big.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I try my best to be fair and honest in dealing with friends, some of the guys I know are ready and willing to take advantage of anyone they can. I can truthfully say I've even given some friends more than the asking price because of the dire situations they found themselves in.
^This. Before some of you guys jump all over me for low balling my buddy...
1. You have no idea of how much I paid for it. I can tell you it wasn't a steal.
2. I took the risk of buying a North Haven rifle with REP stamp. It could have easily been a lemon.
3. I don't feel bad, because he low balled me on a jeep I sold him a few years ago, which equates to about ten rifles worth, and
4. When he gimps a bear with his .270, he will be glad I was there backing him up.

Love the rifle. Taking it deer hunting this weekend with my kid.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
That's a fine looking rifle. I really like levers. I also enjoy the looks of the Marlins.

Don't let those guys give you a hard time. You're fine.

Enjoy your bear blaster!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,681 Posts
Several years ago I got a smokin' deal on a LNIB JM 45-70 Marlin 1895, complete with a set of RCBS dies, a couple hundred bullets, and 100 new cases. Little did I know it had Micro-Groove rifling ... great for jacketed bullets but poor for lead bullets. After loading a batch of 400 gr jacketed bullets, I found out why I got the gun so cheap. I'm no wimp but that gun really had some serious shoulder smack .... so much that it wasn't fun to shoot. It wasn't long before one of my customers got a smokin' deal.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I bought this circa 2011 Remlin 1895 gbl guide gun in April from my buddy with a bunch of ammo. He didn't like shooting it, so he only put about 10 rounds through it. I low balled him on price with the ammo, because I was worried that it was in the era of poor quality. However, it shoots fantastic and I can hit consistent bullseye's at 50 yards with Hornady leverevolution 325 grain ftx's and open sights. It's my backup bear gun now, which I will carry with confidence. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure?

I have one that I bought in 2014 and I think I know why your friend didn't enjoy shooting it: it's a light carbine firing a heavy bullet, so it smacks the shoulder with authority. I carry it in bear country, but I don't see it as a "plinking rifle" - maybe my "man card" is just a learner's permit.

Jim

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
821 Posts
Nice rifle. A modern .45-70 might be in my future...

However, last year, I was handed down my grandfather's Marlin 1895. Even more special is that it's a "magnum" of its time...it's a .45-90.

Of course, I got it checked out...even going so far as having a CAT-Scan performed...

Sarge declared it acceptable, though I doubt I'll ever shoot it...and especially not with .45-90 rounds...

Enjoy your rifle. Whatever the price, I'm sure your buddy thought it was fair, or you wouldn't have it.

Aqualung

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Recoil tolerance is a fickle thing. Every gun and every shoulder is unique.

I love shooting my 1895 45-70's. I don't really notice the recoil that much and I could shoot it all day.

OTOH, I found the recoil from my GSR 308 to be noticeably more uncomfortable. After about a box of 20 I have pretty much had my fill of 308 for the day. A lot of other folks seem to shoot their GSR's all day with no problem.

Same with handguns. I'm not particular recoil shy but I hated shooting my 4 5/8" SBH. Hated it. Sold it almost as soon as I bought it. However, I own a Vaquero 44mag that's a joy to shoot. Who knows?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The friend didn't have to accept the offer...but he did.

Nice rifle I don't know anything about 45/70, but reading these responses about recoil scares me lol. Real nice looking rifle. I love lever guns. I would gladly own a Marlin. I bought my Dad a 336 "Remlin". The trigger is floppy, but its a consistent break and once you put your finger on it to fire flop is irrelevent. It shoots well at 100yds and looks good. What more can you ask for? Congrats. Have fun shooting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts