Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to filing off the end of the trigger guard where it rubs against the frame. Still a little tight, but way better.
Next problem, unable to re-insert the hammer into the frame. No matter how far back I pull the trigger it will not seat correctly so that when hammer pivot is inserted, the gun is locked up. No trigger action and no hammer movement. So trying to figure out that problem, I accidently launched the pawl plunger and it's spring. This gun is kicking my but. Any Ideas on what I might need to look at when my parts get here from Ruger? (as far as the hammer re-insertion problem)I think I will order 2 sets of parts. I really like this gun, but so far it has been fairly hard to work on. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
You have to be careful with that pesky little paw plunger, I think most of us have probably launched at least one. As for the hammer I always slide the hammer in from the top with the trigger at rest, you may have to pull the trigger back slightly to get the hammer to fall into place but then release it back to the rest. You should be able to then put the hammer pivot pin at this point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is interesting, the book that comes with the revolver states that you must "hold trigger in it's rearward position and insert the hammer into the frame" I guess I though that was clear, but maybe these directions are made up by people who never actually work on the revolvers. Thank you so much! It came out very easily and I remembered having problems getting it back in the first time I took the gun apart as well. Is there something I should keep in mind when re-installing the little spring and plunger? Thanks!

·
Registered
589 Posts
As far as the spring goes put everything in a clear plastic bag just in case it flies apart again, a gallon freezer bag works good. Set the spring and plunger in the hole and set the paw in place, I use a small drift punch to push the plunger in while holding the paw and trigger between my finger and thumb so as soon as the plunger is in far enough the paw will slide over it and hold it in place. You have to hold the paw back until the trigger goes back to the rest position or it will fly apart again. Then holding the paw back pull the trigger back enough to put the transfer bar back in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. I called Ruger and ordered 2 sets of the parts (they are sending them to me no charge?) and hopefully I can get the gun back together. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the parts from Ruger this weekend. Very fast response! Put the trigger assembly in a 1 gallon plastic bag, and inserted the spring assm. for the pawl. Very good precaution for these springs. I then went to re-assemble the trigger guard assm into the frame. It is still a little tight, but goes in after pressing the plunger with a small screwdriver. At this point the action revolves the cylinder via the trigger pulls and all looks fine. I spent the next 2 hours trying to get the hammer into place. No ammount of varied trigger pulls would allow the hammer to drop into place. It always seemed to be resting on top of the trigger engagement end. Finally removed the trigger guard assembly again (5th time) and re-inserted it as before, but heard a click and the transfer bar seemed to be higher up and actually covered the firing pin completly when the trigger was cycled (before it was only partially covering the nub of the firing pin). Everything dropped into place after that. Not sure what the click came from, but I suppose there is some trick to re-assembly that I totally missed. Anyway, it works perfect now and at least I learned a few lessons along the way. Thanks to the group for all the info to this point!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have to watch the pawl and transfer bar when assembling to make sure they go in properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts