Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 380 for my wife a few years ago. When she shoots, the point of impact is so low that it winds up in the dirt at about 10 yds. Trigger pull is causing her to tilt the pistol down in the process. Is a trigger job for this available that actually works to shorten the pull ? Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out gallowayprecision.com. I believe they supply a trigger kit for the pistol. I had an LC9 when they first came out. the LC380 is basically the same except for caliber. It had an awful long and hard trigger pull. To be accurate with it you had to have a strong grip meaning strong hands, wrists, and forearms. I never changed the trigger even though kits were available. The LC9s striker model cam out shortly after I bough the LC9. I bought one. But Ruger did not follow suit sith the LC380. Today I carry a LCP II. Not that has a good trigger, but it also needs hood grip to be accurate because being very small it has a lot of recoil. It is easy to rack, and with Houge grips the recoil is very manageable.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Got the 380 for my wife a few years ago. When she shoots, the point of impact is so low that it winds up in the dirt at about 10 yds. Trigger pull is causing her to tilt the pistol down in the process. Is a trigger job for this available that actually works to shorten the pull ? Thanks for any advice on this.
I haven't shot to many double action pistols but the few that I have shot usually have a sweet spot about half way through the trigger pull where you can kinda stop and realign the sights and then finish the trigger pull a friend that I shoot with had a Sccy 9mm and it was a double action only after I shot it a couple times I was able to shoot a decent group at 25 ft with it. Not sure how much your wife has shot it but maybe she just needs more trigger time with it to learn how to shoot it better.

·
Count Ursunk
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This little dao pistol conceals great and feels like it was made to fit your hand good. I can get 2 fingers on the grip okay. Wife doesn't have a strong grip and the pull is way too long for her. There's no sweet spot during the pull. Going to check with Galloway and get an idea of how much their kit would improve the travel length. Thanks a lot for the info guys.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Don't know if you would consider changing guns for your wife seeing as how you already have one but, S & W makes a 380 EZ. Very easy to rack good trigger and mags easy to load. It would be physically bigger than the LC380 but probably would be an overall easier gun for your wife to operate and shoot well. It is not a DA only type either.

Maybe the Galloway trigger mod will help enough but you would have to try it out to find out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a Shield EZ in .380. It is indeed easy to rack and to shoot WHEN IT WORKS. It is a fun range gun WHEN IT WORKS. If your wife is going to have a gun for self defense, I don't recommend the EZ in either .380 or 9mm. I highly recommend a SIG P238. Yes, they cost a LOT more, but they work very reliably if you do not limp wrist them, and the slides are easy to rack and the trigger pull is very smooth and not long. They are also super accurate out to 15 yards or further if you do your part. If you can't aim, can't concentrate on the front sight, and/or have a lousy grip and stance, nothing is going to work right. It sounds like your wife can also benefit a lot from some professional instruction.

I carry a SIG P238 all the time, in a Vedder Light Tuck holster.

I had one of the little Ruger revolvers - the LCR. It was a beast to try to shoot. It got gone. Tens of thousands of people are happy Ruger owners, so I am not bad mouthing the brand - just dealing with the reality of their guns for those of us with greatly reduced hand and wrist strength.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I carry an LCP 2, which I suggested as an option in Post 3 above. I rented both before buying. I must admit that the P238 is a beautiful gun, but it is heavier and bulkier tha the LCP 2. It has excellent sights, which I find not necessary of a pistol intended for self defense within that 7 yard range that is often cited as standard distance for SD training. If I wanted a small 380 for precision or target shooting the P238 would be ideal, but I just want a 380mpistol for self defense. There is one other factor, and that is one can buy two LCP 2 pistols for the price of one P238. Finally. I have read that the LCP 2 has a much lower FTF rate than the Sig. Here is a link to a comparison video.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
find one of the versions of trigger guard mount lasers and use that for dry fire practice to get used to the trigger pull. I did that for my LCP after purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dry fire practice focusing on keeping front aight alignment will work it out. If she is a new shooter she will be shooting low at Ten yards regardless of what compact she is shooting. If you are in CA, the LC380 is one of the only self defense offerings at 380. I wouldn't spend money on a trigger upgrade. The trigger is designed to be deliberate and loooong. But it breaks predictably with practice and is very transition to anyone that is used to a revolver trigger pull.

·
Count Ursunk
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's not a shooter type woman that enjoys just plain target practice. What she needs is something that was in the works a few years ago. The sheriffs dept. was offering training for women in the use and safety of firearms. This would have been great for her to be among other women who were interested and be able to form a bond. I think a lunch date and indoor range trip might be in the making.

·
Registered
584 Posts
She's not a shooter type woman that enjoys just plain target practice. What she needs is something that was in the works a few years ago. The sheriffs dept. was offering training for women in the use and safety of firearms. This would have been great for her to be among other women who were interested and be able to form a bond. I think a lunch date and indoor range trip might be in the making.
I agree she would probably benefit from some formal training and would probably feel more comfortable if their were other women in the class with her. IF you are going to stick with the LC380 a lot of trigger time will benefit her shooting ability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Galloway makes goog products, i have my sr40 loaded with everything they sell for it. The trigger is Solomon i think for the lc 9 and 380. Its a whole kit hammer, trigger and a few springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started out shooting low. I caught my daughter doing it, and it was definitely muzzle drop. I've got to get her back to the range to fix it. Your wife's problem sounds very much like an anticipation/flinching problem. There's lots of write-ups about that. You can prove it by loading a mag with 3 live, 1 snap cap, 3 live, 1 snap cap, ... (don't warn her!). Then watch her pistol while she shoots. Pay attention to every fourth shot. It will go "click" and you will be able to see muzzle drop. Did it drop? If so, she's anticipating. The other thing to do, is have her shoot slowly. That is, slow trigger pulls. If a shooter is surprised when the shot breaks, they have no chance for an anticipatory flinch, and the shot won't go low. Hit youtube, search for shooting low and left.
380s are often small... that makes recoil more harsh. How does she do with a larger pistol? Try the dummy round drill and the be-surprised shooting with a larger frame pistol, and/or with light loads. Small pistols are meant for concealed carry, not smaller hands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You would be better spending the money that trigger job will cost to find a good shooting instructor for your wife ( not you). Someone that has some .22 pistols that your wife can use. I can tell you just from what you wrote, that your Wife is tightening her grip while trying to pull the trigger, and probably breaking her wrist in anticipation of the recoil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try taking her the range and putting some dummy rounds mixed in without her knowing. Video her as she shoots so you can show her what she's doing wrong. This is human mechanics and a trigger job won't repair it. It may help her shoot better groups but she needs to see what she's doing so she can correct it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts