Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum- Hi to everyone:
I have LC380 with a magazine release problem. I bought it new & have fired over 500 rounds through it (I have grandsons that love to shoot!). I have stripped, cleaned, and oiled gun several times. This problem has been since new- I thought it would free up with some use- but it has not:
PROBLEM: When I press the mag release button, the mag will not free fall out. I have to reach with my free hand & pull it down about 3/16" then it will free fall. At first I thought it was the mag or release pin as there are several posts on the web about that not locking the mag. I took the top barrel assy off & noticed in the body w/ mag that there is a steel roller that is compressed when the magazine is inserted the last 3/16". This is part of the gun's magazine safety. Once it clears that roller, it will free fall. I reached down with a small screwdriver & that roller has a lot of spring tension which is holding the mag in place even though release pin is pressed. Is there a lessor spring available? If not, can I weaken it without affecting anything else? I own LCP , Security 9 & neither have this issue- they both drop magazines when released. Just another stupid CA reg messing up a good product! HELP! Thanks

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
New to the forum- Hi to everyone:
I have LC380 with a magazine release problem. I bought it new & have fired over 500 rounds through it (I have grandsons that love to shoot!). I have stripped, cleaned, and oiled gun several times. This problem has been since new- I thought it would free up with some use- but it has not:
PROBLEM: When I press the mag release button, the mag will not free fall out. I have to reach with my free hand & pull it down about 3/16" then it will free fall. At first I thought it was the mag or release pin as there are several posts on the web about that not locking the mag. I took the top barrel assy off & noticed in the body w/ mag that there is a steel roller that is compressed when the magazine is inserted the last 3/16". This is part of the gun's magazine safety. Once it clears that roller, it will free fall. I reached down with a small screwdriver & that roller has a lot of spring tension which is holding the mag in place even though release pin is pressed. Is there a lessor spring available? If not, can I weaken it without affecting anything else? I own LCP , Security 9 & neither have this issue- they both drop magazines when released. Just another stupid CA reg messing up a good product! HELP! Thanks
Welcome from the pacific NW, I have an EC9 (practically the same pistol) with the same problem. I just kind of learned to live with it and hope it improves as no one has come up with a concrete answer, and no, there is not a lower tension spring available . I have checked. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem with my LC380, press the mag release button, it drops 1/2" and stays there, can't shake it out, etc., I have to pull it out. Sometimes it falls, but rarely. I can't believe we're the only ones with this problem. I just contacted customer support, hoping for a fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine functions the same with the mag it originally came with, as well as two additional mags I bought from Ruger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update for anyone else inquiring about this, I've never seen/heard this from anyone, so here's the official answer from Ruger Customer Support:

"Your magazine release is working properly. That model does not have a Magazine assist, so the magazine will only drop a little."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to ask if I could do something like that, I got the impression I didn't have options, I am new to this, it's my first handgun, so I am nowhere near ready to do something like that. Maybe I'll ask a gun store/repair person.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is not uncommon. Some pistols have a magazine release assist that clears them enough that the mag will drop free. The SR1911 is one of them. Some do not. Does it drop freely with a round still in the mag? the only time I see this being an issue would be for a tactical reload.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It only occasionally drops free, no difference if it is empty, full, partially full, etc. I've tried everything logical, it makes no sense. And yes, it's an issue because I'm taking classes that require tactical reload, one-handed shooting, etc. I'm going to have to purchase a new handgun to advance with my training. What a bummer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts