Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the wise decision of picking up two beautiful guns this past summer, the LC9 and the SR9c. Now I had a bit of trouble with the LC9's hammer being a bit soft at first (as I reported in a previous thread on this forum) but Ruger did me a good one and took care of the problem quickly for me. I've wanted to give an update on both guns since then.

First of all, for those who CCW, I started off ccw'ing both guns for quite a while. However, over time, I've just found that the LC9 is more comfortable to carry (big surprise), and so I carry it often now. Part of this has to do with the fact that I can not find a good holster for the SR9C that accommodates a LaserMax. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. The other part of why I carry the LC9 more now is it's just more convenient. It's easier to deep conceal, which I'm finding to be a growing quality.

My SR9C mainly sees time on the range or when I'm out hunting. The southwest has plenty of open areas where I feel concealment is less of an issue (especially since I'll be carrying a rifle already), and I would rather have a bigger pistol that's a bit more accurate over distance. Additionally, the SR9C is really easy at the range too. I almost feel like I am cheating when I am using it.

On to the bad - I actually have no gripes about the SR9C. I feel it is very well constructed, and I would go as far as to say it feels higher quality than the LC9. Now, that's not to say anything about about the LC9, it serve's it's purpose as a lightweight, portable carry gun. It doesn't feel cheap either, and I did not mean for my comment about the SR9C's quality to detract from the LC9.

The only other problem I do have with the LC9 is the trigger pull is a bit too long. I know about the Galloway trigger mod that will shorten the trigger pull, but I am reluctant to get modifications done. Mostly because the trigger pull really only affects my range shooting. I can't be as exact with my aim because my wrist has so much more room for movement during shot as I have to squeeze such a long trigger. However, if you are doing any other type of shooting besides targets, the trigger will absolutely serve you fine. Plus, it is a bit of an added safety if you plan to carry the gun in your pocket. I do feel it was an intended part of the gun's design to be a safe carry gun; very great for beginners.

Well, all in all, I would buy both guns again and am very happy with my purchases. In fact, I've become a bit of a Ruger fanboy because of them and have gone ahead and picked up a Mini-14 for some small game hunting. Cheers everyone :)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have both & enjoy them for their purpose, with the SR9c being very versatile.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have both and I carry the LC9 the most out of the 2 and I enjoyed the LC9 I have put
about 800 rounds down range with and it eats all types of ammo but I don't shoot steel
cased ammo of any brand because I reload and shoot that the most. I have put about
1500 rounds thru the SR9C it's very accurate and I would purchase both again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the LC9 as my EDC...Great gun in my opinion. I don't mind the long trigger pull, in fact, I prefer it for a EDC, just my opinion... As for the SR9C, I do not own one but I have shot one a few months ago and like it very much.

Great review....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I also own both of these pistols and agree completely. For every day carry, the LC9 is the hands-down winner for comfort and concealability. For hiking or as backup while hunting, the SR9c is my first choice due to higher capacity and greater accuracy at distance. I am very satisfied with both of these two fine pistols.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I bought a SR9C a few years ago and shot it a few times and found I just didn't like it. This year while looking at a rifle at a gun store I bought a new LC9 that was on sale for way less than $300 and now would have to say I like it much better than my SR9C.
The LC9 has been totally reliable and is much easier and more comfortable for concealled carry for me, it is a easy fit in a #4 Blawkhawk pocket holster and easily fits in my front pocket.
At first I didn't like the trigger pull, but now it doesn't bother me and I can hit a swinging target at 25 yards which I think is very good for such a compact pistol. The long trigger pull also works also as a safety measure, and reminds me of shooting a double action revolver, no issue for my wife and I at all.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I too have not felt any need to modify my LC9 trigger. I thought it a good prime safety for concealed carry. That long pull requires you to really want to shoot it, little/no chance for an AD.

But after shooting my new LCP yesterday I'm rethinking it. The new LCP's have a much shorter trigger pull than the old ones, and I kinda liked that. I wish I could try a modified LC9 in person before I make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The SR9C is my EDC, and I love it. I have fired my friend's LC9, and while I admit it is good for a smaller carry gun, I feel much more confident in the SR9C's ability. However, I would not be opposed to trying out the LC9 for a while if someone wants to give me one. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have found the SR40c and 9c to be perfect for EDC except in summer when it is difficult to conceal, when it is really warm the LC9 has almost all situations covered. Both pistols are accurate, dependable and are pleasant to shoot. The SR9 and SR40 are also good choices although somewhat more difficult to CC but great for open carry while on walks in the country while camping. The LCP covers the rare situations when nothing else will work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
LC9 Price

I bought a SR9C a few years ago and shot it a few times and found I just didn't like it. This year while looking at a rifle at a gun store I bought a new LC9 that was on sale for way less than $300 and now would have to say I like it much better than my SR9C.
The LC9 has been totally reliable and is much easier and more comfortable for concealled carry for me, it is a easy fit in a #4 Blawkhawk pocket holster and easily fits in my front pocket.
At first I didn't like the trigger pull, but now it doesn't bother me and I can hit a swinging target at 25 yards which I think is very good for such a compact pistol. The long trigger pull also works also as a safety measure, and reminds me of shooting a double action revolver, no issue for my wife and I at all.
If you bought a new LC9 for way less than $300 you were very lucky. I just bought my second LC9 here at my LGS for $369.99. They go for about $367 (cash only) at Buds.:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Way less than $300.00, that was a fantastic buy, I paid $349.99
for mine last Jan. and it was on sale. I would buy another one for way
less than $300.00.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I carry the SR9c in an IWB holster all day in comfort. Just not a fan of single stack autos... if I have that few rounds in my hand I'd rather have a revolver. I find the SR9c to be such a great combination of concealability while being an absolute pleasure to shoot that it is by far my favorite of all my auto pistols. I rotate some of the others through just so that nothing sits for too long but this one is the one I keep coming back to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my LC9 in late August/early September and had over 500 rds through the gun and had no issues. The trigger is not bad at all. I do wish the reset is a bit sooner/shorter but nothing training won''t remedy. I just purchased a M&P Shield 9mm and put 120 rounds through it and had 7 or 8 fail to extract. I called S&W CS and they told me i should get a shipping label in 72 business hours. I had called Ruger for issues I had before and by the time I hang up the phone and open my inbox, the UPS label is in my inbox. Reading S&W forum looks like average is 3 weeks or so. I guess the bottom line is I am really happy with the LC9 and Ruger CS and not impressed with S&W so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I carry both and both have their definite place. The LC9 does conceal very well, and is my "shorts and t-shirt" gun. The SR9c however, is my preferred carry piece. I also carry an LCP as a BUG. You really can't go wrong with any of them for carry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts