Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got about 600 rounds through my lc9 and getting better, but my groupings are still not what I would like them to be. I am shooting 8" paper plates at 7 yards and still hitting left, sometimes low left, sometimes missing the plate entirely. Wife is hitting very low. While I'm sure it's my grip and possibly jerking the trigger somewhat I really want to get zeroed in. I don't think consistently hitting 8" at that distance is too much to ask with this short barrel. I am considering sitting on a rest to try to steady my grip and aim as much as possible and see if I can get some bulls eyes and analyze what I may be doing wrong. If I try this, what distance should I start at? Is this overkill to try this with this smaller pistol? I can hit at this distance accurately with my XDsc and on old S&W model 39 I used to own but this Ruger is giving me fits. I have a 1" circle in the middle of the plate to focus my aim on. Any assistance or comments welcome!

->edit<- oops, just re-read my original post, I have about 200 rounds through, not 600.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Granted you're not new to the the pistol but I always start w a bench rest to see how well the piece does run.
There is chart that many ranges have on the wall that gives some analysis

Handgun Target Analysis
Hope it helps, just keep it fun!!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sound like a good idea with the bench rest. I have a bunch of 8' steel plates we shoot at (set on a pull rope to reset them) . We have marks at 7 and 10 yards. I can hit the plates most all the time in that range. On paper 3 in at 7 yards is good for a gun that size.
My wife has problems with the LC9 she also shoot very low but dead on with her Mark lll .
Good luck zeroing in the LC9 !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just started shooting handguns this last April but like my rifles I also bench rest shoot all 4 of my Ruger pistols. SR-40, LCP, 2245, SR22 then I know the sight are right on the money!! So now if I'm not on target and miss the mark I blame no one but me. It really helps me be a better shooter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You really can't expect much for accuracy out of an LC-9. It's a cheap carry gun that will hit center bodymass between 5 & 10 yards, they are well known to have an inconsistent point of impact (all over the paper) regardless of the shooter's skill level. Just as you wouldn't expect a Yugo to ride like a Lincoln town car, you also can't expect an LC-9 to hit like a Glock or a Sig.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree to check your snubbie from a rest just to see where she's zeroed. But I believe the standard goal for competent shooting with a snubbie should be;

7 yards
off hand
double action
rapid fire

5 shots in 5"
consistently

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You really can't expect much for accuracy out of an LC-9. It's a cheap carry gun that will hit center bodymass between 5 & 10 yards, they are well known to have an inconsistent point of impact (all over the paper) regardless of the shooter's skill level. Just as you wouldn't expect a Yugo to ride like a Lincoln town car, you also can't expect an LC-9 to hit like a Glock or a Sig.
But they will ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input everyone! I did try the bench rest today, put 16 rounds through at 15ft and the gun is true. Put another 34 through standing at the same distance and much better. More on the plate than off and couple right on the edge of my bull. Blahpony, I dry fired a few times using my joint rather than my pad, then fired live rounds that way and it made a huge difference. Really helped out a lot, seems like a lot less movement in my gripping fingers firing that way.
Also I like the idea of bench resting the first time shooting a new gun, I will do that. Makes a lot more sense than just shooting and trying to figure what me or the gun is doing.
I understand that the LC9 is not a marksman gun by any stretch but I do want to get as accurate as I can with it. It's my first carry gun and I want to get comfortable with how well I can hit at a given distance. Anything past 7 yards I've been going wide. Eventually I will move it out to 10 yards and work from that distance. I'm fortunate to be able to shoot in my yard but I will probably get to an indoor range soon to get a more controlled and precise environment. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts