Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Bought one yesterday at Turners Outdoorsman in Southern California for $279.
They are still in the warehouse but expected delivery to the stores is today.
They will call me when they arrive.
I got the email from Ruger and checked their price -- $299 + $20 shipping ... :eek:
Started checking the LGS websites and found it at Turners.
My rationalization is that I can make it a .380 for the ladies and 9mm for me.
I already fixed the trigger with the Galloway trigger kit, so I'm committed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I wanted a .380 I would just buy the LCP.380 for $40.00 more at Academy Sports here locally . Kits may work for a lot of people but I prefer the whole gun , not parts . Besides if I bought a .380 it would be because I want a smaller gun in overall size .

·
12,955 Posts
If I wanted a .380 I would just buy the LCP.380 for $40.00 more at Academy Sports here locally . Kits may work for a lot of people but I prefer the whole gun , not parts . Besides if I bought a .380 it would be because I want a smaller gun in overall size .
The kit converts the LC380 to an LC9.
This kit works for me.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Saw this just announced from Ruger. $299 msrp. How much do you think it will actually sell for? I can find a whole LC9 on line for that price. I like the idea if it's cheap enough. The Ruger® LC9® Conversion Kit For LC380®
I think the main focus are those who live in CA.

For some others, they may buy it after they get used to their LC.380 and decide they want a 9mm but like the, lasers, holsters, etc they already have....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Neat idea, but way to expensive in my opinion. For $20 more, I'd just buy an LC9s and have two pistols instead of one.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I think everyone is missing the point Abarenna is making. I believe this is primarily for the California market where the LC380 is approved but the LC9 line is not approved. You can't buy any variation of an LC9 in California. But, you can buy an LC380 AND a conversion kit and end up with an LC9.

Actually, a pretty ingenious work around by Ruger, IMO. They already have the parts. It's not really costing them anything to put this out there. They probably just increased sales of the LC380 in California, also.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think everyone is missing the point Abarenna is making. I believe this is primarily for the California market where the LC380 is approved but the LC9 line is not approved. You can't buy any variation of an LC9 in California. But, you can buy an LC380 AND a conversion kit and end up with an LC9.

Actually, a pretty ingenious work around by Ruger, IMO. They already have the parts. It's not really costing them anything to put this out there. They probably just increased sales of the LC380 in California, also.
Ahhhhh, now I get it. Thanks.

·
12,955 Posts
I don't get it??? For $300 you can buy an LC9s.

Bingo.
Nice analysis, White Squirrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where? Best price I have found locally is $356 in Oregon.
Bought my wife one in Madison, AL for $299. Routinely see them around Birmingham for $320. Not sure why the difference in price from AL to OR. I do know the place in Madison sells over the internet...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

Well Done! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts

I got the point about the CA issues with the LC9's, and you explained it perfectly.
So, if I had a LC380, and an LC9, I can just put the LC9 slide on the LC380?
Can the LC380 slide then go on the LC9 to make it a 380?

·
12,955 Posts
I got the point about the CA issues with the LC9's, and you explained it perfectly.
There is a barrel change as well.
You need to change the barrel as well as the slide.
Not sure why one would want swap them if you have one of each.
You may get an unpleasant surprise if you try to use the wrong barrel. ... :eek:
Maybe you are asking a hypothetical question.
Your question should be answered by Ruger customer service.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
And for another $199 you can buy a .22 conversion kit from Twisted Industries and have three guns in one frame. I have actually been thinking about getting one of those for my LC9.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You would need to change the slide, barrel, magazine and inner & outer recoil springs...although I suspect the only reason for the necessary slide assembly change is that each is marked LC9 and LC380 respectively.

Which brings up a thought...
Say someone had an LC380 and wanted to turn it into an LC9, and say another someone had an LC9 and wanted to turn it into an LC380, what would keep them from trading the respective parts? Since those parts aren't serialized, it seems they could legally do so.

Why would someone want to do that?

A case in point: I recently sold my LC9 to a friend since I had recently replaced it with a Springfield XDs 3.3" 9mm for carry. I would have gladly swapped the said LC9 parts for LC380 parts and given the gun to my daughter. I should have thought of that before I sold it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You can trade a LC380 in on a new LC9s for less money. Heck, locally you can buy a LC9 hammer fired at a pawn shop for about $250.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 31 Posts