Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been carrying it IWB for just about a month in my Desantis Intruder holster.

The other day I was noticing that it was getting some minor staining from body sweat.

So I broke it down and gave it a light lubing with Hoppes 9 lubricating oil with weathergaurd. I was very careful to clean off any excess oil etc. I hate guns that are slippery to hold on to from leaving a heavy film of oil on them.

The yesterday morning, as usual, I get dressed and slip the weapon into the holster etc and go on my way for the day.

I get home after my day and take the weapon out to put it in its night time resting spot close to bed and I notice that the coating/paint or what ever they are using, has been eaten away on the slide near the front sight.

I must have a problem child for an LC9. This thing has been a complete strike out for me. Sights were pinned wrong from the factory, too many light strikes using a variety of ammo, trigger sucked from the factory. Now the coating/paint coming off of it from simple OIL.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Call Ruger cust. serv. Explain the problem and they may send you a a new slide and prepaid shipping envelope. No down time.

Ruger Contact
+1 on that suggestion. Also, although I don't think Hoppe's #9 oil should dissolve the finish on your slide, you may want to switch to Ballistol. I wipe all my guns with a soft cloth that's sprayed with a little bit of it after every use. It actually seems to make them look and feel better over time.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Sending it back to Ruger may not be an option for the OP because I believe he has the Galloway modifications installed. I've heard, that Ruger will uninstall those parts, replace them with factory parts and charge the customer for the parts and labor.

Just what I've heard...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sending it back to Ruger may not be an option for the OP because I believe he has the Galloway modifications installed. I've heard, that Ruger will uninstall those parts, replace them with factory parts and charge the customer for the parts and labor.

Just what I've heard...
I have the LCP-LM and use rem-oil and its has worked well, what are the Galloway modifications do/for?

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I have the LCP-LM and use rem-oil and its has worked well, what are the Galloway modifications do/for?
Thomas, here's the link to the Galloway products

LC9 Performance Parts | Galloway Precision

See the section on LC9 Trigger System Upgrade.

The LC9 as it comes from the factory has an extremely long trigger pull, three resets (two phantom) and a very long real reset. People with larger hands, like myself, find the trigger to be very uncomfortable to shoot. My finger rolls during the long pull and eventually rubs agains the trigger guard. After 20 or so shots, it begins to rub a blister on my finger. This Galloway kit fixes that and gives a trigger more similar to an SR9c.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
if you have all the other issues dealt with, maybe send the slide off to be coated with a more durable finish?
just an idea

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Trade that bad boy off for a shield. Problem solved

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't actually have the galloway parts. I did the mods to the trigger bar and hammer myself and yes Ruger will take my parts, charge me for new stock parts.

I called RCS on this problem and the lady gave me an email addy to send pics of the discoloring to someone at Ruger but she must have gave me a wrong addy because I got the message failed to deliver in my inbox shortly after.

I will have to call again tomorrow and see what they say. I do have a stock hammer sitting here but not a stock trigger bar. If I had a stock trigger bar then I could install both and send the pistol to them keeping my modded parts here at home.

Too bad Ruger won't sell the trigger bar and hammer anymore.

But I don't want them screwing with anything on this thing other then getting a new slide for it. I have it working about the way it should right now and I don't want them messing it up again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I second Lead Slanger's recommendation. As soon as the S&W M&P Shield's become available again it will be in my collection.

I have had more problems than I every anticipated with my LC9. Between two trips to the factory for repairs, to the crappy trigger pull, and FTF's, this pistol is one I can't wait to get rid of. No way would I trust it for defense carry. Instead, I carry a S&W 38 spl 442 or my Sig P238. Both accurate and reliable.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Other gun considerations should be the Sig 938 and Springfield will soon be coming out with 9mm and .40 versions of the XDs.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The LC-9 has been a problematic handgun since it's introduction. By defination it's little more than a poorly executed copy of Kel-Tec's PF-9. Many professional "Gun Reviewers" have confirmed this with side by side comparisons of the two. Mine had several problems to the point of trading it in for store credit, I also know of several other folks as well as a few members of this forum that had similar issues. I've had my PF-9 for three years now and 2500+ self defense rounds later it has never had as much as a hiccup and does everything better than the LC-9 did. In my opinion, Ruger shouldn't have tried to copy the Kel Tec until they were able get it right. For a compact 9 there are so many other options out there that it just doesn't make sense to settle for a cheap knock off of an already cheap gun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could it be sweat getting to the slide causing corrosion?
Nope, faulty bluing or PAINT job. I am not new to gun finishes when it comes to what they can take. Many years of waterfowl hunting has taught me a few lessons.

I have been doing a little research on this lately and it seems ruger might be using some type of paint rather then bluing the slide. If it was actually bluing then it would take some type of nasty chemical to remove it like this. Not an oil ment for guns.

I still can't get through to RCS though. We are playing phone tag it seems. I call them when I can and wait till I can't wait anylonger then leave a message, they call me back hours later and leave me a message.

I drive a Semi truck for a living and I can't be on the phone while I am working.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Since you've already modified your LC9 and have it working to suit your needs it really comes down to leave the slide alone or cerokote it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
LC9 Junk-Customer Service Good
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an LC9 that has a couple hundred rounds through it. Took it to the range today and became a horrible shooter after about 25 rounds.

I looked at the gun and noticed that the front sight had slid considerably to the right. I went home and called Ruger. They are no longer having you send them back, they send you a new slide and then you return the old defective one.

It did not occur to me until after I hung up....Are they going to send me a new slide with all of the parts already on it...IE- firing pin---loaded Indicator?????

I really do not want to swap that stuff out myself....Any one know what they will send me?

Thanks.....Bill

This is from another thread, not sure if you saw it. Based on this thread maybe you can send them some photos and they might simply send you a new slide. That way your mods are not an issue. Just a thought.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First things first !
If Ruger sends a new slide and a prepaid envelope there is no down time.
You remove the old slide and install the new one put the old one in the envelope and mail it.
Second trigger mods are not on the slide and Ruger need not know. Problem solved.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pic, but are you sure it just doesn't need some oil in that location?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's hard to tell from the pic, but are you sure it just doesn't need some oil in that location?
I suppose since it is bare metal now then it would for sure need some oil to keep it from rusting and pitting.

But it was oil that stripped it in the first place. I suppose I could oil it some more in hopes that it completely strips off the bluing which would make it easier to polish.

But I can't get through to Ruger. I am just either going to durocoat it it strip it and polish it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts