Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GF's dad got her a LC9 at a recent gun show.

Field stripping is rather difficult. The lever/button doesn't go down far enough for the pin to clear it unless you use a tool to put what I consider excessive force to push it down.

Any ideas what would cause this or how I can fix it so I don't need 3 hands to field strip it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome from Mid Missouri !

It may have some heavy grease or filing under the door, It just sits on a rail. There are a couple utube vid's to watch on taking the trigger group out and the door will come out also so you can see what may be in the way. Not hard to do just watch a couple times.
Hope this helps .. Good luck

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Mine can be a real pain sometimes too. Sometimes it opens right up and other times it just won't budge. I am also very careful to not put any pressure towards the slide.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I found on one of my LC9's, if I pull out on the slide switch slightly while pushing down it slips open easily. Otherwise I have to use a tool to push on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had taken a look at videos so I do know it's just a small piece of plastic that slides up and down on some detents.

I'll have to try the recommendation about pulling on the slide stop. After that I'll just take it apart and see what I find fouling it up.

I've always been a Glock guy, have taken the Armorers course, so for Glocks I have no problems.

Rugers are new to me although I did recently buy a 10/22 takedown mostly cause I liked the look and liked how compact it was. Plus thought it would be fun and cheap to shoot. Also got talked into an SR as well just need to find the time to go shoot them.

I'll post again later this week on what I find.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Before you go to too much trouble just try using a slight outward [out away from the frame] pressure as you apply downward pressure on the gate. I'll bet it will practically fall down if you use just a slight OUTWARD pressure.

I had the same problem when I first bought my LC9. Pushed down until I thought my finger was going to break and the darn thing wouldn't budge. Was about ready to take a sledge hammer [not really] to it!! Hooked my fingernail behind the gate [between the frame and the gate] and just the slightest outward pressure and ... BINGO!!

Try it ... you'll like it! :)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
The people that say"pull out a little" are correct.
Hears is a little tip I found.

I use 1 of those plastic drywall anchors( note the word plastic). They do make aluminum ones. The round end gets behind it & put outward pressure on it & works great for me, then it drops right down.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have to use a small screwdriver myself. I just slip it behind the plate and then it moves down easily. Not supposed to work that way, maybe its just me. I could probably use a toothpick and get the same results, just can't do it with my fingers alone.

That's certainly a design flaw. Even after I got it back from Ruger for servicing it does the same thing, even though they claimed to have replaced it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've not fully disassembled yet but I've tried a few of the recommendations and none make it any better.

Instead of it sliding up and down it more rocks in and out and partially slides down. Seems like a really really bad design.

My next step is to completely disassemble to see what the heck is going on and why it wants to be so difficult to slide down.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have to use a small screwdriver myself. I just slip it behind the plate and then it moves down easily. Not supposed to work that way, maybe its just me. I could probably use a toothpick and get the same results, just can't do it with my fingers alone.

That's certainly a design flaw. Even after I got it back from Ruger for servicing it does the same thing, even though they claimed to have replaced it.
It's not a design flaw. You do not want the cover coming down & the pin coming out during usage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new LC9 owner & am having a problem with reassembly. After assembling, the slide will not move to the rear, more than about 1/2". Does anybody know what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new LC9 owner & am having a problem with reassembly. After assembling, the slide will not move to the rear, more than about 1/2". Does anybody know what I am doing wrong.
You didn't pull back on the slide before dis-assembly. With the slide off, use your finger to pull back the hammer till it is cocked, then the slide should be able to go back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GF's dad got her a LC9 at a recent gun show.

Field stripping is rather difficult. The lever/button doesn't go down far enough for the pin to clear it unless you use a tool to put what I consider excessive force to push it down.

Any ideas what would cause this or how I can fix it so I don't need 3 hands to field strip it.
Hold the slide in your left hand, use a small dowel rod, or something plastic and push down the take down pin cover with your right. Adding a little oil on the slide rail will make it easier to push down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts