Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys another new owner of the lc9 here, i just got it today and i love it BUT after the first 30ish rounds that i shot smoothly after that the next 70 was an horrible experience it FTE every other round... The gun had 1 other owner before me and was only shot 100 rounds? Ive shot a mixture of Federal Champion, Independence, & magtech all FMJ's. I came home gave it a good cleaning and lubing but i still dont trust my life with this gun because i have a good feeling it will happen again next time. And yes the gun was cleaned thouroughly and lubed up really well from the previous owner. Any idea or tips?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
So you have only about 200 rounds in the gun. I would give it 1 more range visit before sounding the Ruger alarm. I would pay attention to the extracter area for cleaning & lubing. My LC9 really loosened up after 500 rounds. A very good CCW.

·
Registered
197 Posts
FTE can mean a Fail To Eject, or Fail to Extract. A Fail To Extract leave the case in the chamber, caused by a tight or dirty chamber, bad or dirty extractor. A Fail To Eject , extracts the case out of the chamber but fails to eject the case from the gun, which can be caused by a bent, dirty or bad ejector, limp wristing, weak ammo, RSA issue's etc.

If a fired case will drop in the chamber without force, the chamber is cool, then look to the extractor. Some cases have different types of rims that Ruger's don't like for some reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for responding. Yeah i planned on taking it to the range 1 more time and see how that will go, It was a fail to extract the shot casing was still in the chamber. Alot of people on the other forum tells me its limp wristing but to be honest i hold onto my guns, i dont shoot like a retard with 3 fingers. The last thing i want to do is send this shit back to ruger cause ill be out of a gun for weeks! Plus from all the threads i been reading seems like the people who sent their stuff in for warranty comes back and still has the same issues!

Well i gave it a good cleaning and ill test out another 100 rounds and get back to you guys

·
Registered
197 Posts
A Limp Wrist doesn't cause a FTExtract . Try dropping a fired case into the chamber. If it doesn't go, a little 600 grit sandpaper may help take any burrs off that are hanging up the case from extracting.

To prevent touching the rifling, I install a wood dowel from the muzzle and tape it in place so it stops at the chamber lip.

Then wrap the 600, or so sandpaper around a pencil, pen or drill bit and lightly sand a few strokes and check .

I go up to 2000 grit and avoid the dremel at all costs.

I've launched my barrel before when the felt bob got pinched in the chamber, and I have experience buffing things.:eek:

YMMV

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine did it the first time to the range, then it seemed to loosen up and worked pretty well. Recently, my front sight moved and they sent me a new slide....now it is very difficult to chamber a round and it was jamming every time when I was testing it. I took it to the range and it performed fine...Cleaned it and have not played with it since.

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
Hey guys another new owner of the lc9 here, i just got it today and i love it BUT after the first 30ish rounds that i shot smoothly after that the next 70 was an horrible experience it FTE every other round... The gun had 1 other owner before me and was only shot 100 rounds? Ive shot a mixture of Federal Champion, Independence, & magtech all FMJ's. I came home gave it a good cleaning and lubing but i still dont trust my life with this gun because i have a good feeling it will happen again next time. And yes the gun was cleaned thouroughly and lubed up really well from the previous owner. Any idea or tips?
Bring your cleaning kit with you to the range. I found the accuracy on my LC9 drops of a bit after 50 rounds, and running a dry brush through the barrel gets evrything back to normal. This may also help with FTE issues to brush down the barrel and ejector and extractor. This was a trick taught to me by a veteran shooter who pointed out who felt the compact pistols were not really designed to run lots of ammo through in a single session. I don't know ir that is necesarally true, but it may be worth a try. I would call mRuger CS anyway to get their input. At this point in time, mine is being very well behaved on all the ammo I've used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bring your cleaning kit with you to the range. I found the accuracy on my LC9 drops of a bit after 50 rounds, and running a dry brush through the barrel gets evrything back to normal. This may also help with FTE issues to brush down the barrel and ejector and extractor. This was a trick taught to me by a veteran shooter who pointed out who felt the compact pistols were not really designed to run lots of ammo through in a single session. I don't know ir that is necesarally true, but it may be worth a try. I would call mRuger CS anyway to get their input. At this point in time, mine is being very well behaved on all the ammo I've used.
that doesnt sound like a bad idea, ill definately bring my boresnake and some clp and try running it through when it gets stuck. The theory of sub compact pistols not designed to run alot of ammo sounds kinda bogus! thanks everyone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plus i dont want to call ruger just yet and start a panic attack on myself ill let it go another try or 2 and see how it plays out..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts