Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently reading about the LC9 Stainless steel guide rod and 20lb. recoil spring upgrade available from Galloway Precision. Has anyone done this upgrade and if so what benefit is gained grom doing this upgrade? They say "Will help tame recoil and muzzle flip and handle high powered defense load." Any truth to this and is it worth the $45.

Thanks in advance!

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
My LC9 is stock, but my friend upgraded his with the same parts you are talking about and he said it didn't change the muzzle flip all that much. It really only adds about an ounce of extra weight he says. Don't mean to burst your bubble and if you want the kit then I say go for it. I may still upgrade someday simply because steel is obviously more durable than plastic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have noticed some wear on my LC9 guiderod so i ordered three extra, just in case the wear got to the point where it should be replaced, they only cost $2.00 each. I thought about the stainless steel upgrade, but felt that the slide would then be taking some of the wear instead of the two dollar guiderod. I have never considered a recoil spring change because the recoil is not a problem and the pistol performs flawlessly the way Ruger designed it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
because steel is obviously more durable than plastic.
That is incorrect. Not all steel is more durable that plastic. I had a 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible. It was a 4 speed. When I started trying to figure out why the clutch felt so sloppy, I discovered there was wear in the linkage and pivot arm. I tore into the pivots and pivot arm(for lack of the correct part names) and found that there were steel ball studs that the arm rotated on. The steel studs were bushed with Nylon bushings. The Nylon bushings were in perfect condition, but the steel studs were worn badly. This was 1966 technology. I replaced the steel ball studs, and reused the Nylon Bushings(under advice from the local Chrysler dealership).

In the case of the LC9 guide rod, I would be hesitant to say that the Stainless rod is better than the polymer rod that Ruger uses. It very well could be, but the statement that steel is more durable than plastic is not entirely true.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've heard that the difference is minimal so for $2.00 apiece I figure
I can have a life time supply of factory designed equiptment and still be less than
modified parts.
I have 600 rounds through mine and no sign of wear. I like factory original
if Ruger says plastic then plastic is what I use.

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
I bought the SS rod but not the springs. With the stainlees steel rod, the slide seems to operat a little easier, but no difference in shooting. After 1,000 rounds of practice, I really have a good feel for the LC9 and have become very accurate at seven to ten yards. Just remember, what ever you choose, it's a very light pistol for a 9mm round so it's going to really push on you. I've learned to just grip tight and hang on. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input

My LC9 is stock, but my friend upgraded his with the same parts you are talking about and he said it didn't change the muzzle flip all that much. It really only adds about an ounce of extra weight he says. Don't mean to burst your bubble and if you want the kit then I say go for it. I may still upgrade someday simply because steel is obviously more durable than plastic.

Thanks for the input. You didn't burst my bubble. I am just looking for information from anyone who has used this upgrade. I work in marketing so I know not to believe what I read in ads from manufacturers. I go on solid info from actual customers. Looks like this upgrade does nothing noticeable for the LC9's performance thus it is not worth the $30 upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts