Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read numerous threads regarding this, but I’m starting a new one since they either seem abandoned or don't address my questions:

I have an LC9 I purchased new about a year ago which has problems feeding hollow point rounds. Specifically, from the slide open position and a full mag of 7 rounds, it will not feed the HP rounds when I press down on the slide release lever… the round gets stuck around the beginning of the feed ramp area. However, if I “slingshot” the first round by pulling back on the slide instead of using the slide release lever, it chambers fine.

I called Ruger regarding this. They told me the pistol is not meant to feed via flipping the slide release lever downwards from the slide open position, and in fact, this will damage the pistol (said it will wear out the spring for the slide catch, and the pistol will eventually hold open after every round). Furthermore, they are stating the pistol only merits repairs if it doesn’t feed properly using the slingshot method.

Has anyone else experienced problems feeding from the slide open position using only the lever to close the slide? Have you contacted Ruger and successfully had the pistol repaired? Did you encounter pushback?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
650 Posts
You need to be sure the first round in the magazine is angled up. If the first round is level or pointed down when you chamber a round it will jam into the feed ramp. If you have to baby the magazine to get it to feed ask Ruger for new followers and springs for all your magazines.

You should always slingshot the first round in the chamber no matter what kind of semi auto pistol you are using. Slingshotting will not harm your gun or cause an accidental discharge. I have gotten into the habit of slingshotting then I bump the rear of the slide with the heel of my hand. I want to be certain the slide is locked and ready to go. When I practice I am working on changing a magazine without looking or even thinking about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice pistol. My wife carries an LC9 and out shoots me and a lot of others everyone time we head to the range.

She has never had feed problems. The pistol has been 100% reliable. The manual is pretty clear about chambering rounds. To unlock the slide lock, you pull the slide back and release it. You can use it as you described, but it was not designed to be used that way and I would expect it to fail prematurely.

Have fun with the pistol.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I have the LC9s Pro that was good out of the box but it started to FTF after a couple of hundred rounds. I picked up the Italian made magazines which was better but it was still malfunctioning. I emailed CS, They called back, we talked and then concluded it needed to be serviced. They ground down the leading edge of the feed ramp and polished it up real pretty like. Just got it back the other day, going out this evening to put it through paces. My guess Ruger may have had a batch of barrels with a tolerance drift on the feed ramp. Think I would contact them again and have them do the same...the whole service took about six days including shipping.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I called Ruger regarding this. They told me the pistol is not meant to feed via flipping the slide release lever downwards from the slide open position, and in fact, this will damage the pistol (said it will wear out the spring for the slide catch, and the pistol will eventually hold open after every round). Furthermore, they are stating the pistol only merits repairs if it doesn’t feed properly using the slingshot method.
Is there something about Ruger's statement you don't understand?

·
Registered
242 Posts
However, if I “slingshot” the first round by pulling back on the slide instead of using the slide release lever, it chambers fine.

They told me the pistol is not meant to feed via flipping the slide release lever downwards from the slide open position, and in fact, this will damage the pistol (said it will wear out the spring for the slide catch, and the pistol will eventually hold open after every round). Furthermore, they are stating the pistol only merits repairs if it doesn’t feed properly using the slingshot method.

Has anyone else experienced problems feeding from the slide open position using only the lever to close the slide? Have you contacted Ruger and successfully had the pistol repaired? Did you encounter pushback?
I honestly don't understand what you are looking for to be repaired. There's nothing broken to repair...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I sometimes have trouble getting hollowpoints to feed right in my LC9s when I stick them in the magazine backwards and then pry on them with a screwdriver and hammer the slide home with a mallet.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

- Jay

·
Registered
73 Posts
FTF

I had this problem with Critical Defense ammo in my LC9s Pro. The polymer tip would dive into the feed ramp and stop. I noticed a small "step" in bottom of the feed ramp and blended it down then polished the ramp and had no further issues with any ammo.

Steve

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Maybe that's why the owner's manual on page 7 calls it a "Slide Hold Open" and not a slide release. At no time, does the owner's manual suggest using that as a slide release. They only method it recommends for chambering a round is slingshotting.

Seems you can either change your method of chambering a round or trade it for a gun that has a "slide release lever", but I don't see any inherent problem with the gun that Ruger should repair. JMO.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Ok guys that's all fine and good, however there is an issue with a lot of the LC9 Series and the feed ramp, just google the issue. Ruger will rectify the issue with servicing the barrel....

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Ok guys that's all fine and good, however there is an issue with a lot of the LC9 Series and the feed ramp, just google the issue. Ruger will rectify the issue with servicing the barrel....
Maybe so, but he said it was an LC9. He did not specify it was an LC9s.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The whole series was subject to FTF issues. It's his first post and people are jumping on him...not very welcoming...

·
Banned
650 Posts
Releasing the slide with the slide hold back is a habit he needs to break regardless if the gun needs further repair. I don't see how just releasing the slide can damage the gun. The only reason I slingshot the slide on my guns is I want to be certain the slide is locked in battery. As far as the Ruger reps claim that the slide hold back will damage the gun sounds like S&W blaming ammo for the problems with their guns. By all rights just releasing the slide hold back should chamber a round.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum, to chamber a round in the LC9, always use the slingshot method.
Using the slide stop, or riding the slide forward will cause problems.
Look at the distance from the slide lock position to full slide back. May not seem like much but it compresses the springs more.
Some folks will polish the feed ramp, key word is polish.
I have been fortunate to have no issues yet with my original LC9, not s or pro.
Loaded all new mags and let them sit a week.
Reliable feeding of JHP's, Critical Duty, PDX, Gold Dot, HST.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only issue I have had with hollow points is with the longer, more open nosed rounds such as the Golden Saber. I'm sure polishing the ramp would help, but I just went to a different brand of ammo. My practice is all with round nose anyway. I've never used the slide hold lever as a release. Not on any of my semi automatics. It works better to "slingshot" it on all I have had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Regardless of if you prefer to slingshot the slide closed, could someone test closing the slide with a full mag using the slide catch lever? I’d like to know if this affects more than just my pistol.

Also, if anyone has had their LC9 serviced by Ruger for a feeding issue (even if from using slingshot method), it’d be especially helpful if you’d test this too, since I’m still hoping they will service my pistol.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Just do as the Ruger reps ask you to do. If your pistol still has issues Ruger will fix your pistol. It is not like you bought a Star Modelo for $100 that will only eat FMJ ammo. You can probably get your pistol to feed better with rubbing compound, jewelers rouge or 800 grit emery cloth. I smooth out parts with a wore out piece of a belt from a belt sander. My Glock has a rough finish on the feed ramp. When I clean my pistol I just put a drop of white lithium grease on the feed ramp. I won't polish the ramp on my Glock because the finish is rust resistant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar problem with xtp hollowpoints in the LC9. The bullet would just be nose down and not feed.

I tried remington ultimate defense and the generic remington 115 grain hollow points and they both worked fine. I did notice the remington bullets were slightly longer than the xtp bullets.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Regardless of if you prefer to slingshot the slide closed, could someone test closing the slide with a full mag using the slide catch lever? I’d like to know if this affects more than just my pistol.

Also, if anyone has had their LC9 serviced by Ruger for a feeding issue (even if from using slingshot method), it’d be especially helpful if you’d test this too, since I’m still hoping they will service my pistol.
My LC9s Pro was just serviced, is there a reason you want to use the catch lever to charge the firearm?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts