Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a replacement slide yesterday, and while inspecting it I noticed the firing pin is noticeably longer than the older one. It's so much longer that pushing forward on the exposed rear of the firing pin without depressing the firing pin block allows the tip of the pin to slightly protrude through the firing pin hole on the breach face. This seems like a safety issue to me. Anybody seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
485 Posts
There is a problem with it. The firing pin blocker should prevent any part of the firing pin from penetrating into the slide breech face, unless the blocker is depressed. Your's is malfunctioning and should be returned to Ruger.

Bob

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a problem with it. The firing pin blocker should prevent any part of the firing pin from penetrating into the slide breech face, unless the blocker is depressed. Your's is malfunctioning and should be returned to Ruger.

Bob
It will be, once I receive my second replacement. It was quite a frustrating experience trying to push the "technician" to greatness over the phone and understanding the issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I received the replacement slide today, and it's exactly the same way. Now I'm really stumped.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a picture pushing on the rear of the pin without depressing the firing pin block. The tip of the pin slightly protrudes through the hole (crappy photo):

Here is a pic pushing on the rear of the pin while simultaneously depressing the firing pin block, allowing the pin to move all the way forward. Notice how far it extends past the breach face:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anybody has an LC9, newer or older, and doesn't mind checking it out to see how it compares, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If anybody has an LC9, newer or older, and doesn't mind checking it out to see how it compares, that would be appreciated.
I just checked mine for you. My pin does not stick out and is recessed about 1 mm or so.

My slide is a recent replacement from Ruger due to a front sight probelm.

Itis really hard to see anythng clearly in you picture.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just checked mine for you. My pin does not stick out and is recessed about 1 mm or so.

My slide is a recent replacement from Ruger due to a front sight probelm.

Itis really hard to see anythng clearly in you picture.
How far does it stick out when you simultaneously depress the firing pin block and push forward on the firing pin? Does it just slightly stick out when you push forward on the pin without depressing the firing pin block? I will post a better picture tonight of the pin it's "resting" state. My older one was recessed so much that you could hardly even see it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better Photos

Here are some better photos

Original (older) slide:

New slide:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just watched a video by Eric Galloway in which he said Ruger shortened the length of the firing pin return spring from the original length of 25mm to 20mm.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got back from the range and cleaned my LC9. My pin looks like your new slide. Without any pushing you can see the very tip of the pin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts