Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just wondering if anyone has issues with lc9 dropping mags.was at the range this weekend and one of my mags would drop when i fired the first couple rounds. The other mag i didnt have a problem with. Contacted ruger via e mail . Just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got 3 magazines and havn't had any problems with any of them. Did this only happen one time with this magazine or everytime you used it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the mag thru 4 times 28 rounds happened every time . And it happen twice on one 7 round mag . I got this mag about afew months ago for a back up ,ran 7 rounds thru it when i got it and dont remember this happening .

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I had this problem with the Pinky Extension installed. Switched back to the flat floorplate and havent had the problem since. Over 400 rounds now without a drop

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've got more than a thousand rounds through the LC9 and have had the same problem with my two mags. Happened mostly with the extension in place. The problem is the mag retainer doesn't have a lot of meat on it to hold the mag in place. The added tension from the extension pops it loose. I remedied the problem by taking the springs from the mag and filing the top of the mag slot with a thin file, opening it a bit. Haven't had a problem since.:)
I've been on the site for a long time but this is my first post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I thought i was hitting the release till my buddy shot with the same results , shot it the same way with other mag no problems. I will try taking off the pinky ext. The next range visit. I love this gun my best ccw weapon. Like i said in the begining just was wondering if any one else had the issue.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hoz,

I have the same issue. I have six mags and one consistantly drops after the FIRST shot. It has the finger extension on it. Hitting the mag release button is not the issue here. I have put on the flat bottom mag base & will fire that mag next time I get some trigger time.

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya i am going to try to take the pinky ext. Off the next time i go to the range. I agree wasnt hitting the mag release , whats the worst thing that could happen ,send the mag back to ruger. Let me know if that works for you with the holidays coming up not sure when i will get to range.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya never had prob with original mag ,bought extra mag started to notice this prob .im sure some one on this site will fig out what is going on .
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine started dropping the magazine after 30 rounds.

My magazines had too much side to side play and the recoil twists the magazine with the pinky extesion enough to pop the magazine off the pistols magazine release tab. I could grab the bottom of the magazine at the pinky extension, twist a few times and the magazine would pop out.

I took a needle nosed pliers to the magazine and gently bent the top of the slot out where the release tab rests. This creates a little more of a ledge for the magazine release tab to lock onto and reduces the side to side play. I have yet to shoot it, but I can twist the bottom of the magazine like crazy and it will not pop out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Magazines dropping out of the LC9 is becoming a very common thread on this forum. Just got my LC9 back from Ruger for this issue. They replaced 10 parts along with the mag latch, and mag latch spring.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A lot of posts on LC9 mags falling out

I myself posted about my LC9 mags falling out of the pistol after each shot, and it looks like this issue is becoming a very common thread on this forum. I just received my LC9 back from Ruger where they replaced 12 parts, including the mag latch, and mag latch spring. I think I wore out the mag latch while using the pinky extension, by putting too much pressure on it. I wont use the pinky extensions anymore just to be sure. I took the repaired LC9 to the range and put 200 rounds of 7 different kinds of ammo through it without any problem.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You see these comments, because someone dug up old threads. I had the issue, and changed from the pinky extension to the flat floor plate, and over 700 rounds now without an issue. Remember, the LC9 goes thru a lot of stress. Thats a mighty powerful round in such a small package

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
You see these comments, because someone dug up old threads. I had the issue, and changed from the pinky extension to the flat floor plate, and over 700 rounds now without an issue. Remember, the LC9 goes thru a lot of stress. Thats a mighty powerful round in such a small package
Bingo.

There are a lot of new members digging thru old stuff. Posts that have been resolved for months and years are popping up.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Looks like there was one thread recently started on the issue. Now there are two threads. Same people posting in both.

In the original thread, about nine people have been having a problem with mags dropping out, mostly if they are using the pinky extension.

Some appear to indicate that there is a "new" magazine that physically looks different which has the issue more often.

One person fixed the issue by filing some additional material in the area where the mag lock in place. Apparently, with the pinky extension in use, enough pressure can be placed on the bottom of the mag which then forces the mag release mechanism to not fullly engage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lc9 mag drop (Multiple threads

I had the same problem. I called Ruger and told them that several of us had the problem and asked if it could be a malfunction. The assured me no. So I changed my grip so that my left thumb was not near the release and make sure to grip the gun firmly enough so that my right hand thumb and fingers don't touch it. That seems to solve the problem except that I am still trying to come up with a comfortable grip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts