Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the magazine in my LC9 inadvertently releasing when the gun is fired. Most of the time, a round will chamber as the magazine releases. I noticed this happens when firing the first few rounds in the magazine. I don't believe it has ever happened with only three or less rounds remaining in the magazine.

I thought the problem might be the extended floorplate (pinky extension) on the magazine. With the pinky pushing the bottom of the magazine rearward while firing, it seemed that might slightly move the magazine and be causing the issue. I reinstalled the flat floorplate (gripping the gun with pinky under the magazine) and still had the problem. In fact, yesterday I loaded seven rounds, and it released after each of the first four shots. Same problem with two different magazines.

I contacted Ruger via their website this morning to find out what I need to do to have them repair this problem.

I saw some older posts with a similar issue, but none recent. My concern is that even after Ruger repairs the problem, is this possibly a design flaw that will allow the problem to resurface after the release spring starts to wear?

Is anyone else having similar problems? It's going to take a lot of rounds through the pistol with no repeat problems after repair for my confidence to be high enough to carry this firearm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey juram,

It is not a design flaw.

If you are absolutely sure you are getting that magazine in as far as you can, then something is bent/out of place/broken.

If you have more than one magazine you could narrow it down.

If you just have one magazine, it could be the magazine, it could be slide stop lever and/or spring, it could be the mag release and/or spring.

It really doesn't matter which of these, if you don't feel like diagnosing and fixing yourself.

It isn't a design flaw, just a bad part in your gun or magazine.

There is no need for concern about the LC9 as a whole. It has been pretty proven by now to be reliable.

Oh and call them, Monday morning. Don't wait for them to wade thru thousands of weekend communications.

They will email you an overnight FedEx label and get on it and back to you quickly.

They are great that way.

Doc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc - thanks for the info...I will give them a call Monday!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
One other possibility which has been mentioned several times on other threads (and has yet to be directly refuted): one's grip on the gun. I have a LC9sPro, and can easily imagine that happening.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have 2 LC9 pistols. Both drop the magazine when firing. Its not your grip. Its the small magazine catch. I have been shooting pistols for over 30 years. I know how to hold a pistol. I have owned many high recoiling small pistols. The LC9 is the only pistol I have had issues with the magazine dropping on recoil. Ruger knows about this issue. They have changed the magazine catch, but I have lost confidence in my LC9. I have moved on to other small 9mm pistols, and none drop the mag on firing. Its a known issue with the LC9, and the early ones were terrible. The newer ones might be better... Good Luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jurham sounds like he knows his way around a gun and how to hold it.

Hmm, I have never had that trouble with my magazines.

Neither has my buddy or the 2 guys I meet at the range.

Doc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem happened a couple times the first few months I had the gun, and I did consider that my thumb might be touching the magazine release. I made a conscious effort to ensure my thumb was clear of the release. Still had the problem.

The problem has gotten worse the past couple times I've shot it. My confidence in using it as a CCW went to zero. If my thumb is hitting the release during recoil, I don't want to have to think about using an awkward thumb placement for a carry gun. However, since the problem has gotten progressively worse, I believe it's a mechanical problem.

We'll see how it functions after I send it in to Ruger for repairs.

Since the problem has worsened, I've been using my LCR exclusively for carry the past several months...no worries about dropping magazines with that!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have called my friends and had them do some digging and it seems that there was probably a batch of defective magazine releases.

Once Ruger replaces it, they cannot find any reports of any problem.

So it seems the design is sound, but as stated, a bad part.

I would not get rid of a gun over it. But then mine is fine.

Doc

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Used to have the mag pop free on my LC9 at times when carrying IWB 6 o'clock.
Thought it was the release button getting bumped but it turned out the be a worn mag latch. Put a new one in and it's been fine since.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I bought the LC380ca earlier this year and converted it to the LC9.
I have two 9 round magazines in addition to the 7 round supplied with the conversion kit.
I have fired somewhere in the vicinity of 1,000+ rounds and have not had it drop the magazine.
Maybe they found a fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hmm

I am thinking though that it was just a batch of bad parts. Would explain why the vast majority of the guns are fine.

It is a nice little belly gun.. pretty accurate for its size too

Not what I choose for primary self defense but certainly one up to the task.

Doc

·
Registered
701 Posts
Let me guess, your magazine was made in the USA? Is it scored from the catch? I'd bet you wouldn't have this problem with an Italian made mag. Ruger will likely change your magazine catch and spring, then call it good. They may replace your magazine too.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A lot of the LC9's had the same mag issue. Ruger knows and has replaced the catch and spring. It used to be for free, but now??? The Italian mag is also much better than the USA mag. Make these fixes and it should take care of the problem (original LC9 owner, now with LC9s Pro)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
My LC9S has just over 1800 rounds thru it. It was purchased back in Feb 2015. Only once did a mag cause an issue.

Half way thru a magazine the trigger would not pull. With out changing my grip, I slowly looked at my hands and saw that my thumb was on the mag release. I had pressed it and the mag had released enough to activate the mag disconnect.

I don't believe there is a design issue.

I have both US and Italian mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on magazine release problem -- I contacted Ruger on Tuesday after my original post and that same day they emailed me a FedEx shipping label. The following Friday, I dropped it off with FedEx and it arrived at Ruger Monday. They had it two days and shipped it back. It took a few days to get back to me due to the Christmas holiday.

The note inside said they replaced the magazine release and test fired 21 rounds with no malfunctions. They even gave me a Ruger cleaning cloth as a thanks for being a customer. A couple days later, I took it to the range and fired 250 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

This is the first time in 30 years of owning Ruger pistols and revolvers I've had to send anything back for service. Customer service was great with a fast turnaround. I will continue to be a loyal Ruger user and now have 100 percent confidence in my LC9 as a carry gun.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats, glad they fixed it up for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts