Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Cant say its normal because I dont own one of them yet,Will say this looks like the hammers bout beat up bad , might be it did get hardened right , looks like its fragmenting , I send it back to ruger , good luc

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would give Ruger Customer Service a call and see what they have to say. They will probably want you to send it back to them for a replacement hammer. They will Email you a UPS shipping label. I know that having to send back a new gun for repairs is a pain (I know, I've done it a couple of times) but Ruger will treat you right.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Hard to tell with the quality of the pics, but, no it doesn't look right.
Call Ruger, then send it back

·
Registered
53 Posts
My hammer looked exactly the same as yours. I sent pics to Ruger and they had me send the gun to them to replace the hammer. When it returned and after 50 or so rounds the new hammer looked alot like the hammer they replaced. Not quite so bad but the same divots as before. Not sure what that is all about but it doesn't affect the way the gun shoots so I don't worry about it
Here's another post about the hammer for you to read http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/52101-not-again-please-tell-me.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My hammer looked exactly the same as yours. I sent pics to Ruger and they had me send the gun to them to replace the hammer. When it returned and after 50 or so rounds the new hammer looked alot like the hammer they replaced. Not quite so bad but the same divots as before. Not sure what that is all about but it doesn't affect the way the gun shoots so I don't worry about it
Here's another post about the hammer for you to read http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/52101-not-again-please-tell-me.html

Thanks. I noticed the picture of the new hammer posted in that thread has the same gouged out bottom portion of the hammer...but it's still unsettling to see new dents forming just from normal operation.

I want to keep the gun, I think it is the perfect size and I haven't had any problems shooting it - yet, Just worried about the quality of this hammer, I wish they offered a higher quality after-market hammer, I would buy it for sure

Edit: I put another 50 rounds through the LC9 today and it was still flawless. The divots on the hammer did not seem to worsen after shooting. I plan to put it another 100-150 through it tomorrow and see what happens. Will update you all

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Send the pics to Ruger. My LC9 does not look like that. Ruger needs to see those pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Send the pics to Ruger. My LC9 does not look like that. Ruger needs to see those pics.

Do you have the gouge at the bottom of the hammer? Some say it is just from where the injection for casting took place. Any divots at all?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My hammer is beat up just about as bad. I have a new stock hammer sitting here but hoping galloway will have his modified hammers in stock soon and hope they are properly hardened.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My hammer is beat up just about as bad. I have a new stock hammer sitting here but hoping galloway will have his modified hammers in stock soon and hope they are properly hardened.
Has your hammer caused you any failures?

·
Registered
114 Posts
As of now, no. I have had enough issues with mine without having any hammer induced failures.

My latest issue was the bluing coming off the slide from Hoppe's lubricating oil and weatherguard. I still can not get through to Ruger on this because of my job. I drive a semi truck so sitting on the phone waiting on hold is not really an option for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As of now, no. I have had enough issues with mine without having any hammer induced failures.

My latest issue was the bluing coming off the slide from Hoppe's lubricating oil and weatherguard. I still can not get through to Ruger on this because of my job. I drive a semi truck so sitting on the phone waiting on hold is not really an option for me.
They get back to e-mails in 1-3 days if you want to go that route. Maybe you can e-mail them your problem and number and they can call you back?

And I'm finding this hammer issue to be strange. Lot's of people have beat up hammers, but they don't always the cause of fail to fire. Well I'm heading out to the range in a few hours, I'll have an update on the LC9. I plan to run at least 100 rounds and see what happens

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I put 100 rounds of 115g blazer brass through my LC9. Was going to go for 150 rounds, but the range was prepping to close and I didn't want to waste ammo by hurrying through it.

All 100 rounds shot fine. There were no hiccups at all, despite the grooves on the hammer. An inspection check before and after shooting today showed that the grooves on the hammer did not get worse. It seems that the hammer can quickly wear in its first 100 rounds, but then it stabilizes. Primer strikes on spent rounds looks consistent.

I talked to the guys at the range about my problem, and they think the cause of different dent locations on the hammer is because the hammer drags itself across and under the firing pin on the LC9. So, when you put through a lot of rounds rapidly, the hammer will slide and bang around. Again, this is just theorycrafting as to why the dents are happening. Since the hammer is made of powedered metal, the divots could simple be metal compacting more densely, which would explain why the divots first form but then stop progressing.

So, I'm going to have to say the dents are non-issue. I'm not worried about them anymore, for now. I'm still going to get ahold of Ruger customer service and forward them my pictures just to see what they say. At the very least, it would be good to make them aware that this is an issue with the LC9, so perhaps they can avoid it in future models.

Can't say I'm not happy the LC9 is still performing though. I am going to keep checking the hammer every once in a while, but I need to stop letting it ruin the gun for me so I am going to put it in the back of my mind for now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it looks like Ruger thinks the marks are serious enough to send the gun to them. Do you know how long the turn-around is generally?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to post an update. I sent the gun into ruger customer service and they replaced the barrel and hammer assembly for free and I had the gun back in 8 days. Good job Ruger!

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
Just wanted to post an update. I sent the gun into ruger customer service and they replaced the barrel and hammer assembly for free and I had the gun back in 8 days. Good job Ruger!
Good deal. This is now another thing I inspect during cleaning. So far, my LC9 is doing well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why did they replace the barrel? The hammer on my LC9 shows no such wear marks, however the back end of my firing pin is flattened some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No clue why the barrel was replaced, they just included a notice saying that did so.

You can always take a picture and send it off to them. The customer service was actually really helpful, and I got the gun delivered back to me with no extra scuffs or scratches than when it left. All around I am pleased with the experience, it turned out pretty ok

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bottom mark is simply result of MIM process. Most MIM hammers have this mark.

Other gouges look like being caused by bottm rear edge of the pickup rail as it contacts hammer during rearward travel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts