Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I obtained an LC9 following several months of research, compare and contrast and agonizing. My initial search was for a small concealable pistol. I have two .32 caliber pistols, but wanted to move into something more useful. This had me looking at the Bersa Thunder, Kel Tec P3AT, Sig 238, etc. in .380.

My goals were: 1) comfortable and concealable enough to not discourage carrying; 2)A powerful enough caliber o be useful if needed; 3) An inexpensive enough caliber to encourage regular practice on a budget; 4) and manageable enough to encourage practice to develop proficiency and accuracy. The .32 P32 and Beretta Tomcat are expensive to shoot and just not fun (nor am I particularly accurate). The XD 40 Subcompact, while concealable still feels bulk. It also is expensive and not really very pleasant to practice with.

I finally settled in on the Kel Tec PF9 and the Ruger LC9 as my top two choices. Yes, I was convinced that I could move up to 9mm Para and still achieve a slim and carry-able small pistol. I can and do carry my P95, but I don't care for the bulk - I fidget trying to make sure I'm covered up. However, I like the caliber quite a bit more than .32 or .40. Moving to .380 seemed like I'd have all of the expense problems along with a less powerful caliber.

I have enough experience with Ruger GP100, P95, and MKIII to know that Rugers work for me and I can be accurate with them. I've never experienced malfunctions (FTE/FTF) that I couldn't directly blame myself for. The Rugers work, and they hold up. Many say built like tanks and I agree. I went with the LC9.

Criticisms others have had of the LC9 include problems with light strikes(seems to have been fixed in 2011) people not liking the safety features (magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, and safety switch). People also comment about the length of trigger pull. So far I've not found these to be issues.

My limited experience so far is this: No light strikes. The safety features didn't get in my way. If need be I can keep the slide safety in the off position. I can see where the magazine disconnect safety might be a problem for some, but not a deal breaker for me. The trigger pull issue befuddles me. I found no problem with it from the get go. Yes, it is long, but it is double action only. It feels like a revolver trigger in double action, not a P95 on its second shot. If you know it is like that it is manageable and predictable. It also means that you have to be intentional about pulling the trigger. Again, not a deal breaker.

Here is my experience with 100 rounds fired. 50 with Blazer 115 g aluminum case, and 50 with Blazer 124 g brass case. (...I know, not enough rounds through it yet to really tell.)

Pros:
1) No FTE or FTF with either ammunition.
2) Recoil very manageable.
3) Easy to pick up the sight picture.
4) After a magazine to figure out the sights, accurate 2"-2.5" groups at 28 and 21 feet.
5) Very concealable and comfortable in an IWB holster at 4 o'clock - I don't notice it once I had it on.

Cons:
1) Field stripping is basically OK, but does require a pin or punch (or key that comes with) to remove the slide pin. Until I got the hang of it, I really wanted a third hand. Not nearly as bad as a MKIII.
2) Since these subcompact pistols will always be a compromise, the grips are always an issue. I like this one as far as small pistols go. I did find that it helped to take off my wedding band to prevent pinching while firing. I don't usually put grips on, but I would entertain a Hogue sleeve.

Overall:
I can't be more pleased. I can carry, conceal, be accurate, and economical in practice. The pistol was fun to shoot, and though some say it isn't a range gun, I would argue the point. It was pleasant to shoot, but challenging enough to push me to think and act with intention. There are pistols I don't like to shoot. This isn't one of them, and I would recommend it if you are trying to make a decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great post, Ken. I agree with everything you've said after about 120 rounds through mine. I had the exact same priorities as you did. Above all else, it needed to comfortable enough to carry all the time, everywhere I'm allowed to carry it. The LC9 does that.

I wore it everyday at work last week in an IWB holster at 3 o'clock. I once noticed while sitting at my desk that I could not tell whether I had it on me. Very comfortable. Very concealable. Happy owner here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great post indeed and I agree after over 600 rounds of various ammo, Blazers,WWB,Ranger-TS and a few others not one glich in the bunch never failed to go bang.
CCW IWB 4 oclock and sometimes have to check to make sure I have it on.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Welcome from Missouri. Glad to have you with us.

Great post. Looks like your selection of the LC9 was well thought out. Glad it's working out favorably for you. My LC9 has been my CCW of choice for over a year; 600+ trouble-free rounds. I couldn't be more pleased.

You might want to check out the Pachmayr slip-on grip especially designed for the LC9. I added it to mine and really like it...dampens felt recoil, gives the grip just a little more girth and easier surface to grip.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I agree with you on all points. The LC9 is a great gun. I do wish it was a few ounces lighter, as I like to pocket carry. I can deal with the size, but the weight makes it just on the edge of being comfortable. Wouldnt it be great if the LC9 was the size on the P32? I removed the mag disco on both my LC9s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good choice. I was down to the LC9 or the SR40C. (since the 9 & the 40 are the same size, I opted for the 40). I too read about trigger issues on the LC9 but the one I tried was quite acceptable. I ended up with the SR40C but everything is a compromise. The LC9 is much smaller. I know there will be times when I wish I had the smaller frame.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Great range report. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Well written and very informative. I may pick one of these up soon and appreciated reading your perspective on them.

I believe, based on my experience with my LCP and Rohrbaugh Stealth, that the curved magazine finger extension my help significantly with the grip issue.

And, WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS on your new pistol. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great report, I've been eying one for some time but worried about the thumb safety and that has stopped me from buying it. From what you explained and some others it doesn't seem to be a issue not using it. Is that your take on it, do u use the thumb safety?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
Two more trips to the range and still no FTE or FTF. I do find that it is better shooting close in. 28 feet is about as far as I am mostly accurate. 21 and 14 are clearly better. It is an amazingly comfortable carry pistol using the DeSantis Super Tuck. A problem with the magazine release has been observed, but easily remedied. I was using the extension piece and how it sat with my holster and against my body caused the magazine to realease while holstered. This stopped once I took off the extension. This doesn't make a difference for my shooting anyway. The extension caused the magazine to push upward just enough that the release button drops it. One question was about the safety. The switch breaks in easily. I use it without trouble, but keeping it off works fine. I appreciate the safety features - makes it convenient to lock by removing the magazine or using the key lock. Overall I still am happy with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been very pleased with mine. The only thing that has happened on mine is the rear sights came loose and just about fell off. But a little lock tight fixed it. And since the first cleaning I haven't had to use the key to field strip it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good report and I agree with you. Got an LC9 at gun show in Nov. and have not shot it very much yet, but so far, no problems. I had read alot about the trigger pull but I have no problem with it. Love it for a CCW because of its size and with it being a DAO with a hammer, I feel safe carrying without the safety on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts