Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mistakenly left my LC9 in a cloth lined holster overnight. I think it had absorbed sweat and cause some rust to form on the slide near the front and the rear where the grip serrations are. They're also is a bit on the textured portion of the slide lock. Any recommendations for removing it?
I know it's my fault for leaving it in that cheap holster but I hadn't fired the gun while carrying it and didn't think to immediately clean and reoil it when I got home.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Time for you to invest in a tube of Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Cold Blue 2oz Paste.
I think you can remove the rust with a mild liquid like vinegar or CLR on a q-tip. Then touch up the bare spot with the blue paste.

There is a good explanation of bluing at:
The entire situation feels a little less of a loss once you realize that bluing is another form of rust. But the oxidation is converted to a more stable blue color protective layer, instead of the ongoing cancer of red rust.
All blue is delicate.
The paste (cold bluing) is not as durable as the industrial applied original coating. You'll have the ongoing annoyance of re-bluing the touch up spots from now on, but the times in between, no one will be able to tell without a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Clean off any surface rust with WD40 and 0000 steel wool ... use a LIGHT touch as steel wool will remove blue and any spray on finish if you rub too hard and too long in one spot .
Rule #1 : Keep it cleaned and lubricated ... wipe it down each night .

Humidity given off by the human body , it doesn't have to be a lot of heavy sweat either ... just a finger print ...
is very corrosive ... some people have a hard time keeping non stainless steel guns from rusting where they touch it with hands or in contact with their body ... the cloth will absorb this moisture and lead to rusting .
Wipe it down each night ...just to be safe .
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a Birchwood Casey Silicone impregnated sleeve to store the pistol when not in use. Is any one familiar with those? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That should work well for you for future protection. Just a note I have had one and needed to wipe off the grips after removing or they would be really slick

·
Registered
236 Posts
gwpercle's procedure for getting it off. I have had good luck with Hornady OneShot Gun Lube for keeping the rust at bay for a while. It sprays on and leaves a dry film lube so no oil to get on you or your clothes. Still need to carefully wipe off sweat at the end of the day to keep it rust-free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts