Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a "new to me" LC9 that I really already. I took it to the range for the first time last Friday and my shots all tended to go left. That's when I discovered that the rear sight was offset. When I got home, I loosened (and even removed) the set screw and the sight would not move, even with some tapping with a brass rod. When I looked under a magnifying glass, I saw a tiny amount of something shiny that had oozed out from under the sight. Looks like super glue.

Is there a way to get it unglued w/o damaging the finish or the parts under the sight? I've been googling all morning and searching this site with no help found. I wonder if a heat gun would soften it enough. I also thought about acetone. Or should I just call Ruger?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just though I'd mention, this topic should be in the Ruger Pistol forum, not in maintenance. A Mod should be along to move it.

I doubt very much if the rear sight is glued if it's a new gun. In fact there were reports of rear sights coming loose if the set screw is not tight. http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/43027-lc9-rear-sights.html

To drift a sight you need the slide to be in a stable immovable platform so there is no give when tapping the sight with a brass or wooden dowel. Very small movement and retesting is necessary to get it right. Perhaps a local gunsmith might be a good choice if you're not comfortable doing something like this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post location tip, Ed. I'm still learning my way around here.

No, it's not new, just "new to me." I suspect the PO glued it because it was coming loose.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm hesitant to give any more advice but if it's super glue (SG) you could try acetone to dissolve the SG. Do a search for removing SG.

Then if you had a gun vice, a brass drift, and a small hammer you could mount the slide and try to move the rear slight with light strikes. If it's some from of epoxy, well I don't know what to tell you.

You could call Ruger CS and see what they say or visit a reputable gunsmith first and see what he says. Might be a simple matter for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a product I have used with great results.
It is ;
Debonder 2000

I have used it to unglue almost everything, even 5200 marine.
It has not harmed the finish on my Ranger truck, when I had to unglue a keypad that died.
I have used it on almost everything but superglue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're thinking what I've been thinking

I'm hesitant to give any more advice but if it's super glue (SG) you could try acetone to dissolve the SG. Do a search for removing SG.

Then if you had a gun vice, a brass drift, and a small hammer you could mount the slide and try to move the rear slight with light strikes. If it's some from of epoxy, well I don't know what to tell you.

You could call Ruger CS and see what they say or visit a reputable gunsmith first and see what he says. Might be a simple matter for him. Good luck.
I'm going to try a heat gun tonight and if that doesn't work, then acetone tomorrow. I did some research and it doesn't look like either will hurt anything. I already tried the brass punch angle and all I did was scrape off some finish. I used a brass bar and a 1 pound dead weight hammer. Smacked it several times pretty hard for something so small. :(

I did call Ruger this afternoon and they were not much help. They didn't think it was glued, but if it's not, I don't know how they got it in there. LOL! They said is should come out with a brass punch, but it didn't. If acetone or heat don't work, I've also read that soaking in WD 40 might loosen it. If none of those work, I'll try Ruger again. I just hope I don't have to buy a new slide because I bought it "as is."

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might try that.

There is a product I have used with great results.
It is ;
Debonder 2000

I have used it to unglue almost everything, even 5200 marine.
It has not harmed the finish on my Ranger truck, when I had to unglue a keypad that died.
I have used it on almost everything but superglue.
Thanks, Jack. I might give that a shot if what I have on hand doesn't work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GOT IT!!

It took some serious convincing from the inertial impact alignment device (and no small amount of dread on my part) but the rear sight finally moved last night. I think what did it was some heat from a heat gun to make it toasty warm, but not screaming hot, and then a short blast of carburetor cleaner on top to cause a rapid temperature change. Then lots of solid whacks on a square edged brass rod with another brass rod.

It didn't just pop loose, either. I had to drive it all the way out and all the way back in. While it was out, I cleaned the whole area and then applied a light coat of oil. Since I had to drive it back in, it's not perfectly centered, but it's a LOT closer than it was. Only damage was marring the black finish on the sloped sides of the sight.

By the way, I saw no evidence of glue. It was just incredibly tight. Thanks everyone for your insights.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Good news! ... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts