Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help a co-worker in improving his gf's LC9. She likes the gun but hates the loooooong trigger. Looking around it seems there's a couple options in changing the trigger bar. Is one much better or preferred than the other? They're mostly looking in shortening the pull but a lighter pull would be "pretty good if its possible".

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Were I her boyfriend, she would try out a LC9s, and no tinkering would be required. Half the trigger pull length, lighter pull.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Galloway Precision makes a trigger bar, recoil spring & trigger kit for the LC9.
I bought one for mine & saw an "OK difference".
Kit cost is $99

Ended up buying a new LC9s & couldn't be happier. Holster, magazines are all compatible.
HUGE DIFFERENCE...No Contest

Still have the LC9. Keep it as a truck gun when I travel for quick access.

From someone who owns both.......Buy The LC9s
Cost of upgrades won't make it anywhere near good.

I Know

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Are they prohibited from buying a firearm or something?

Straight facts - a guy can sell an LC9 and buy an LC9s for less difference in cost than the price of the trigger bars and spring kits, AND end up with a shorter and lighter trigger with the factory spec LC9s than the LC9 could ever have. So selling and buying is the best return on their money. If they can spend $100-150 updating the LC9, they can afford to sell the LC9 for $250 and buy an LC9s for $350-400.

I personally didn't find the Galloway LC9 kit to be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The Galloway kit will shorten the trigger pull. I don't know if it's any lighter tho. My LC9 doesn't have a heavy pull but it is very long and takes practice to shoot it well. I ain't trading it in on the LC9s, it is totally good for it's intended purpose. Any bad guy inside 50 feet is toast.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You're getting the proper advice but... If you really have to upgrade and not buy new, your only real choice is Galloway. For me, it's not worth the money. But I'm not you.

I sold my LC9s for $250. Locally you can occasionally find them new for $300 or a little more.

Jeff

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I had an LC9 I installed a Galloway 35% trigger bar (not sure if they sell it alone anymore). It did shorten the trigger pull somewhat but the pull weight was about the same. Can't say I shot any better with it though. I later put the factory bar back on and sold it, then bought the pistol the OP doesn't want to hear about.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well, this was a waste of bandwidth. Never mind.
Since it's a waste of bandwidth....let's get to the real solution

You're not going to improve the trigger enough to be happy. End of story.

Don't waste any money on trigger bars, springs or recoil rods/springs.
I tried, it never made it to the point of being "sufficiently better."
Not even close.

Buy a SH%$LOAD of ammo instead & shoot the crap out of it. You will get the proper feel, just not a good/great one.

The LC9 doesn't have a safety & is one of the reason I purchased it. The long heavy trigger was fine for my EDC. I felt it would be functionally similar to being made with a safety (ie: you wouldn't pull the trigger by mistake, too long of a pull). You'll get used to it, eventually.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Well, this was a waste of bandwidth. Never mind.
You asked a question, you don't have to like the answer...

1) There are no kits on the market which actually significantly improve the DAO trigger pull of the original LC9. Money spent on the parts on the market is money wasted. (This is not true of the Galloway kit for the Gen 1 LCP).

2) Even by a smith, the trigger on the original LC9 cannot be significantly improved, it has to do a lot of work cocking the hammer, and the hammer is light, it needs a lot of spring force to be reliable.

3) The best option to get a better trigger out of an original LC9 is to trade it in towards an LC9s. Not sure if it's still on, but Ruger was doing a promotion for LC9's traded at dealers towards LC9s's good for a $100 shopruger.com rebate.

Again, those are the facts. You don't have to like the,.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
You asked a question, you don't have to like the answer...

1) There are no kits on the market which actually significantly improve the DAO trigger pull of the original LC9. Money spent on the parts on the market is money wasted. (This is not true of the Galloway kit for the Gen 1 LCP).

2) Even by a smith, the trigger on the original LC9 cannot be significantly improved, it has to do a lot of work cocking the hammer, and the hammer is light, it needs a lot of spring force to be reliable.

3) The best option to get a better trigger out of an original LC9 is to trade it in towards an LC9s. Not sure if it's still on, but Ruger was doing a promotion for LC9's traded at dealers towards LC9s's good for a $100 shopruger.com rebate.

Again, those are the facts. You don't have to like the,.
+1!
We have a thread with 200 pages of people trying to change the LC9 trigger & messing it up. I was probly the only one in the world that liked the LC9 trigger & learning trigger control on that pistol made me a much improved marksman.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I installed the Galloway Precision trigger kit on my LC9.
It was a major improvement for me and I would do it again.
Be sure to have the right tools available and it will save a lot of time and frustration.

The LC9S is not available in California :confused:.:mad: so I had no choice.
I would never CC the LC9 because of the trigger job, but it makes a fine home defense firearm that is convertible to LC380 for when the little lady takes up the sport.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Well, like it or not, the majority of postings (on this and other forums) concludes that the Galloway kit will not make a LC9 into a LC9s. The LC9 is a hammer-fired semi, and the LC9s is striker-fired. If the info so-far provided is passed on, the final result will be a LC9s.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
The LC380 has the same trigger pull vs the LC9. When at Cal Ranch I tried both LC380 & LC9s trigger pulls no comparison. Problem I still have is what I read here on the Ruger Forum of Ruger LC9s problems! Still looking for a small 9mm right now using Ruger LCRX/& LCR so far so good!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have tried find something to change the trigger pull without any luck. So, I taught the wife that it will take some practice to use the pistol until she gets comfortable. She now loves her LC9. I also like mine as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts