Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting my LC9s at the range & the spent brass is not being extracted. Didn't think anything odd happened, maybe the brass may have a bent rim. Actually viewed the brass & saw nothing unusual. Next round same thing.
Hmmm.
Found a spring on the bench & started searching for other pcs. Nothing else.
Saw I was missing the extractor. No other parts laying anywhere.

Left the range came home & tore it down. Had a real bear of a time getting the slide to come off. Investigated for any shreds/shards of pcs. Nothing else showing signs of weird wear & tear.

Anyone else have this problem?
I'll contact Ruger on Monday, but curious if this is an ongoing issue I'll need to be on look out for more of the same in the future?
Also heard about recoil spring problem & not seating correctly in the frame.
Will they change to the "newer" recoil spring?

I own a dozen Ruger firearms so I love the products.
BUT this is my EDC. I'll fall back to the LC9 I had for yrs as a carry

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Shooting my LC9s at the range & the spent brass is not being extracted. Didn't think anything odd happened, maybe the brass may have a bent rim. Actually viewed the brass & saw nothing unusual. Next round same thing.
Hmmm.
Found a spring on the bench & started searching for other pcs. Nothing else.
Saw I was missing the extractor. No other parts laying anywhere.

Left the range came home & tore it down. Had a real bear of a time getting the slide to come off. Investigated for any shreds/shards of pcs. Nothing else showing signs of weird wear & tear.

Anyone else have this problem?
I'll contact Ruger on Monday, but curious if this is an ongoing issue I'll need to be on look out for more of the same in the future?
Also heard about recoil spring problem & not seating correctly in the frame.
Will they change to the "newer" recoil spring?

I own a dozen Ruger firearms so I love the products.
BUT this is my EDC. I'll fall back to the LC9 I had for yrs as a carry
Ruger will fix it.

Over the years there have been a few cases of the extractor coming out on the LCP, LC9, Lc9s and LC380 pistols. They all use the same design.

Considering that 4-5 years ago, before the LC9 (either model) was introduced, Ruger had built over 1,000,000 LCP pistols, it would seem like the failure percentage is very, very low. I would guess that the number of Ruger pistols using that same design is now in the 1.5-2 million range.

I can't remember the last time someone posted here about having the extractor fall off.

Although the parts may be the same, I wouldn't take the extractor out of your older LC9 and put it into the newer pistol. The striker versions don't have the big loaded chamber part which some say helped hold the empty case in place longer during the extraction process.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MNDoggie you read my mind on the switching out of extractors between the older LC9 & the newer LC9s.
It won't bother me to carry my old LC9. I did it for years before I moved to the striker fire format

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I didn't think about the exchange right at first so I ended up doing an edit.

Early on with the LC9S models, some had issues with extraction if the firearm would be held upside down, etc. The thought was that the earlier LC9 effectively had more "gripping" force cuz there was two points of contact.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to Ruger this morning & they were terrific. Sending me a new extractor & spring. I asked about the newer guide rods with the tapered end. I've seen the older one were having seating issues. They'll send me one of those also.
Great Service!!!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Received all needed pieces.
Installed, dry fire w/ snap caps & ejecting all caps as it should - headed to range.
Functioned perfectly. Shot 100 rounds thru it (it's my EDC)
Back to my IWB holster it goes.
YES!!!!!!

Man I love this trigger

ps - When I spoke w/ Ruger, I asked them about the extractor being interchangeable with the LC9.
They confirmed, those are parts identical - extractor, plunger & spring all fit both the LC9 & LC9s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts