Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a new ruger lc9s about three weeks ago. I was very happy with it. After about 800 rounds, the front sight became loose. I could move it side to side with my hand for about 1/8". I took it out with a sight pusher, cleaned it, and put a blue lok-tite thread locker. But after 20 rounds, it became loose again. This one does not have a pin on it. I didn't want to put a red lok-tite, because I wanted get a night site in the future.

I called customer service, and I have to send in my entire firearm. They are going to drill a hole through the sight and put a pin on it. I know some of you got a new slide with a pin on it with a return shipping label, but not me. I've read another post about a poor drill job after sending it in because of the same problem. If I am not happy with the drill job, I am considering selling it and getting a different single-stack sub-compact firearm. Or I might just set it on fire and watch it burn.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my experience out there, in case people are doing research on this firearm. Sight coming loose in less than 1000 rounds is unacceptable, and I am very unhappy. My suggestion is to stay away from Ruger LC9s. I'll be happy to hear what you guys think about this.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My LC9sPro has a pinned front sight, as it was new (and it may be older than yours). If you have tried Loctite, it might not have properly cured because of contamination (dirt, gun oil). Not many know about that aspect of Loctite. Were I you, I would re-try the Loctite after thorough cleaning of the sight and the slot it fits into. Then allow 24 hours for curing.
Even considering your sight problem, I consider the LC9s the BEST of its type out there, especially in view of its ability to "eat" any loads.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My suggestion is to stay away from Ruger LC9s. I'll be happy to hear what you guys think about this.
Its unfortunate that you have experienced a problem. I was under the impression all the LC9s were pinned now. I wonder if yours was missed during assembly...?

The LC9s is one of the best small pistols available. If you think they are all junk because yours has a problem, your mistaken. I understand your angry, and I would be too, but the chance of an issue with any new gun, including S&W, Walther or Glock, is a real possibility. What is in your favor, Ruger has the best customer service in the business, and your pistol will be fixed quickly, correctly, or replaced, free of charge, including shipping both ways.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the replies. I was very upset when I made the post, but I am okay now. Hopefully my post will be read by people doing research on LC9s and they will take a closer look at the front sights to see if they have pins or not. Don't get me wrong, I was in love with the pistol; it was very light, small, and accurate. I once made bullseye 5 out of 7 shots at 15 yards.

I am on my way to Fedex to ship the LC9s. I'll post an update with pictures when I get the pistol back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife and I both have LC9s pistols and hers is newer with no hole drilled in the front sight and no pin but mine has the hole in the front sight but not pinned either. Weird, I can see daylight under the front and back of the dovetail and they are not pinned anywhere. I wonder if some of the parts on Ruger's guns are outsourced from different manufactures and have different specs on the build of those parts?
I was looking at Sig pistols and especially the P320 but Ruger's warranty and customer service is keeping me grounded in my wandering. Really like the LC9s for the trigger!

·
Registered
15 Posts
mine came loose on my LC9s, purchased in Dec. 2015. I called Ruger and they wanted me to send in the whole gun, I asked them to send me a new site. They did but while waiting I used Red Loctite and the site has not moved. 400 rounds later and still ok.
there is no pin in my front site and Ruger told me they do not pin them anymore.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just my 2 cents. 43 years as maintenance mechanic in industry, I will say that if Loc-tite has been sitting for a while, it has to be shaken very well. Particularly the Blue, if the blue particles have settled out it will not hold as well. I have not noticed the same problem with Red or Green (real permanent).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Got mine a couple of weeks ago and it has the pinned sight. Going to swap them for TruGlo TFX tomorrow. The weapon has been flawless so far.

G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my 2 cents. 43 years as maintenance mechanic in industry, I will say that if Loc-tite has been sitting for a while, it has to be shaken very well. Particularly the Blue, if the blue particles have settled out it will not hold as well. I have not noticed the same problem with Red or Green (real permanent).
Thanks, this is a good tip. This is probably what happened to my loc-tite job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts