Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got an LC9s. We took it to the range the other day, and it was locking open about once every 3-4 shots. It does not looked jamed, but it locks open like it is out of ammo.

I took it home cleaned it up real good, and took it out and compared it to my LC9s pro. With normal two handed shooting I never had any problems, and even shooting one handed only had a failure once every 10 shots or so. But if I would hold really loose, it would fail every couple rounds.

So I guess my wife does not hold the gun tight enough???

After this test, I took out my LC9s pro, and fired about 50 rounds one handed holding as loose as I could, without one failure....

The spring on the "slide hold open" seems fine (same tension as my lc9s pro). So I don't know why it is locking the slide open.

So any ideas on the problem? I would like to get it to shoot like my gun. I did a search, but only found a few that had the spring broken on the "slide hold open".

Thanks
David

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not only loose gripping it, she may also be limp wristing it too or a possible combinations of the two from time to time. Observe her at the range and see what you can tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at her when she shoots, it looks ok, but I am no expert. We also had the guy at the gun range try to help (this was an indoor gun range at al's sporting goods where we bought the gun). He thought she was holding the gun good too. He also told her to hold it a little more firm and lean into it more, which helped a little, but did not fix it for her.

It is interesting that she shot it one time (about 50 rounds) with no failures, but then she added a rubber grip (Hogue Handall Junior), And since then it has been happening. That is the only thing we have done to the gun, and my gun has not had anything done to it. Maybe next time we will take off the grip...??

There is definitely something different between the two guns, because I cannot get mine to fail not matter what I try, but I can get hers to fail within a couple shots if I try....

Both guns are new, and each have about the same number of rounds through them (about 200-300).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last time I had my LC9s to the rang I was having the same problem, but it turned out that I was unknowingly hitting the slide lock with my thumb during recoil. A slight adjustment to my hand position stopped it from happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last time I had my LC9s to the rang I was having the same problem, but it turned out that I was unknowingly hitting the slide lock with my thumb during recoil. A slight adjustment to my hand position stopped it from happening.
I am starting to think adding the grip to the gun may have changed her hand position just enough to do something like this. We are going to remove the grip, and give it a try.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Have your wife try your gun to see if it continues to happen to her. If so I'd say it's something about her grip or shooting method. If not a problem with your gun it likely it's her gun or the Hogue grip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you rack it back and lock it open with a loaded mag in it. Looking down and into it is the ammo detector making contact and solid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have your wife try your gun to see if it continues to happen to her. If so I'd say it's something about her grip or shooting method. If not a problem with your gun it likely it's her gun or the Hogue grip.
Sounds like a good Idea. We will give that a try.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I think it is protesting the application of the pink grip. :p

I agree with the earlier poster that the addition of the rubber grip is changing how she grips the pistol causing her to hit the slide stop during recoil (had the same thing happen the first time I shot a Desert Eagle .50AE).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that problem is the opposite of the OP's problem
Yes, I just looked at that thread, and my problem is opposite. They were having problems with the slide not locking when they ran out of rounds, but mine locks when there are still rounds left.

I am not sure when I will get to the range again with thanksgiving this week, but I am anxious to have my wife use my Gun, and to try it without the grip. I am also going to try shooting it left handed (with one hand) This way my thumb will be on the other side, and could not hit the lock.

I will update with what I find out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We went to the range today, and did not figure out the problem.

It was locking open at least once pre mag (before empty). We tried it without the grip, and I even had her shoot it left handed. Nothing helped.

It shoots better with me for some reason, but it did lock open once with me as well (when I was shooting two handed with a good grip).

She was able to shoot 4 mags through mine without any issues. So I think there is something with the gun. I think we will have to call in and see if ruger can get it fixed.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
97 Posts
The obvious suspects have been eliminated.

What is left is a slide lever and/or spring problem. Out of place, bent, etc.

Ruger will send you out a new lever and spring within a week. But, if you do not have experience disassembling/working on guns, you do not want to tackle it.

Best to let Ruger fix it up for you. They will do it on their dime and email you an overnight FedEx label.

Their turnaround time on that should be about a week, 2 most.

Doc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got the tracking for the return shipping. That was fast. I hope they found something wrong and fixed it.... will they include notes on what they did?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.