Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been shooting about a year now, and I have an SR9c that I really like. I decided I wanted a smaller gun that could be an easy carry gun as I just got my CCW permit. Made a list of four guns I was interested in and after a lot of research narrowed the list to the LC9s or the CM9. Made a decision and bought the Kahr CM9. The size was probably the deciding factor as it is 1/2 in shorter in length and height. Guess I can say a I like the gun OK, but don't love it.

Some of the things I don't like about the Kahr:
the grip is a cheese grater, but I fixed that with talon grips
take down is not fun
slide is so stiff, but has loosened up some since using it
trigger pull
distance from the notch to the trigger is so short I find myself pulling it with the middle of my finger sometimes
the fit of the mag in the handle looks like an unfinished after thought

I do like the bar and dot sites, and this one had a factory front night sight

In a moment of weakness this past weekend I bought the LC9s
Have not yet fired it, but it fits my hand much better. I like the feel of the trigger better. The notch to trigger distance is longer and better for my hand.

I'll be shooting them this weekend and will know more. Not thinking about getting rid of the Kahr as I'm sure I can use it at times, just thinking I will like the LC9s better.

Of course I should have tried them before buying but nobody locally had them for rent.

The more guns I try and shoot, the more I like my SR9c.

Anybody else have opinions on these two?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have the LCRs Pro, and the Kahr CM45. The CM45 is larger than the CM9, and just barely larger than the LC9s. I like the CM in every way, but the LC9s is also a great gun. I think it will simply come down to which one suites you better, as both will perform admirably. You may find the Kahr needs a longer break-in time until its perfectly reliable. My LC9s Pro has been perfect from the start, as has my CM45, but Kahrs are known to need a break-in period until they run perfect.

I think the Kahr has a better trigger for a defense gun. Its trigger pull is slightly longer. That might be better when you are pumped full of adrenaline, during a life and death situation, and cant even feel the trigger. I dont think a short, light trigger pull is ideal for a defense pistol. The Ruger is too short, and light, in my opinion. The grip texture on the Kahr doesn't bother me. People forget these pistols are designed for life and death situations. Your hands may be cold, wet, or covered in blood. A smooth grip texture could get you killed if the pistol isn't under full control in your hands. I use gloves when range shooting my Kahr.

The Kahr has a stainless slide, and magazine. The Ruger is blued/blued. I would rather have a stainless pistol for carry, because sweat can wreck a blued finish. I also like the fact the Kahr doesn't have an external safety, or a magazine disconnect. The Mag disconnect was the deal breaker for me, and that's why I went with the LC9s PRO. The Kahr has a 5 year warranty for the original purchaser only, the Ruger has no warranty, but Ruger services their products as long as they have parts available, most times free of charge, and to anyone who owns the product, original owner, or not.

Aftermarket support for both pistols(lasers and holsters) is strong

Both pistols are well built, and will function for many years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about the LC9s was the magazine disconnect which was easily removed. After removing it, it was a good pocket gun. I do like the manual safety on small what I consider pocket guns but that's just me. Kahr's are nice guns but not for me or my hand. JMHO

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both PM 9 and 45, just picked up the LC9S Pro. I think once you take it to the range you will be sold. Very nice trigger and carries like a phone barely there.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have the LC9s & love it.
Changed the recoil spring/guide rod & striker spring from Galloway Precision, feels terrific.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought the LC9s at the same time as my LCR9. Never owned the Kahr but that's because it never felt right in my hand. LC9s went first, then the LCR9, have an LCR 38 on the way. Loved the trigger on the LC9s, very soft shooter but the mag kept releasing in my holster. Looking back now it was probably a holster issue but I lost confidence in it so it went away in favor of the LCR. I never minded the safety or the mag disconnect. I think you'll like the LC9.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have and love an LC9s. Also have a Kahr CT380. The Kahr was a surprise with how nice it shot. Will probably get a Kahr CT or CW 45 if Ruger doesn't come up with a compact .45. My solution for the grip issue is Talon Grips. I have them on most of my pistols and they make a distinct difference for the better. I use the rubber grip.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
When I was looking for a smaller carry gun I compared several including the LC9. I found it to be a bit too large for pocket carry. I eventually wound up with the Kahr CM9. And have been very happy with it. As some others have mentioned I put rubber Talon grip tape on it.
I also have a SR9c and it is my best shooter for semi auto pistols.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want a 9mm and a small one that can be not only carried IWB but easily in the pocket or in an ankle holster the CM9 fits the bill. Even with the picky finger hanging off the short grip I can shoot one really well and like the trigger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I gave my hammer fired LC9 to my oldest daughter (she loves that gun for some reason I always hated the long stiff pull) and replaced it with a LC9s Pro.. I love the short, crisp, consistent action on the new trigger but have issues with the actual trigger itself.. I took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it to break it in and the trigger safety pinched my finger enough to leave a small bruise.. I'm hoping someone will design a aftermarket replacement that is a little more flat and with a better trigger safety design..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry both the Kahr cw380 and cm9. These are stiff, tight guns when new but brake in nicely after a few hundred rounds. Very accurate for their size and I like the 2 - dot sights better then many of my bigger and more expensive guns. Best trigger I've experienced in small guns. You might also take a look at the Sig p290, which is a little beefier than a cm9 but the same long trigger pull.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I sold my LC9 and got a PM9 because I like the Kahr trigger and I didn't like the single sided safety as I'm ambidextrous and will often carry in my left front pocket. I then sold the Kahr when I felt the trigger on my LC9s pro (I never let the counter guy touch it again lol) although IMHO they're really close and I still have a Kahr CW45 that I cut to take the shorter PM/CM magazine.
I've since added a Walther PPS 40 to the rotation so now whether a 9mm, 40 or 45 is best I'm at least right sometimes lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my LC9S Pro, before the Pro model came out I would have said, hands down, the CM9 is the better gun. I still like the CM9 because it is so much smaller. I don't consider the LC9S to be a pocket pistol, but I would consider the CM9 to be. The LC9S by far has the best stock trigger of all the current production striker fired single stack 9mm pistols which is why it is my preferred choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts