Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I bought an lc9s pro, it fits in my pocket better than my p89 or p90.
I got home from the gun store and wanted to clean/inspect the gun before going to the range. with manual in hand I tried to push down the plastic tab that covers the take down pin. that didn't work, so I went over to youtube to watch some experts. long story short, I got the pin out and now the plastic tab is just hanging in the gun and not really usable.
(I can understand ruger wanting to build a streamlined gun. my Kel-Tec p-32 has a take down pin with just a head, no lever, works all the time.)
so I'm going to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

anybody have a fix for this problem? thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dunno about a fix since I can't see your gun. It sounds like you've dislodged the take down plate from it's proper seating. If that is what happened you'll probably need to at least partially remove the frame insert in order to properly seat the take down plate. It's not that complicated but if you don't know what you're doing I'd call Ruger Customer Support at Prescott. They're GOOD!

However, I would strongly suggest you do not shoot the gun until the problem is corrected. Without that take down plate in proper working order the takedown pin can come out while firing. NOT something you want to experience.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lc9s takedown plate broke

took the new lc9s to the range and shot a few rounds thru it, sweet shooter, right on target, wonderful trigger. the now floating takedown plate kept the takedown pin in the gun so no problems (I looked at it after each round).

I called Ruger and talked to the nice service lady who explained how to get the gun back to them for repair (they pay postage each way). so it goes FedEx on Monday.

Ruger really gets it and understands customer service (maybe they want repeat business and a good reputation?) some other gun companies (Kahr) just don't have a clue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I first got my LC9S the take down plate [I call it a gate] was really hard to push down. I found that by getting my thumb nail in behind the gate and apply a little outward pressure as I pushed down the durn thing would snap right down. When you get it back, try the outward pressure ... it may help. I never apply too much pressure. If it doesn't move there's probably a reason.

You'll probable have your gun back in a week. As I said, they're good. And it won't cost you a penny. [We do still use pennies don't we?] :D

The LC9S is a great shooter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I first got my LC9S the take down plate [I call it a gate] was really hard to push down. I found that by getting my thumb nail in behind the gate and apply a little outward pressure as I pushed down the durn thing would snap right down. When you get it back, try the outward pressure ... it may help. I never apply too much pressure. If it doesn't move there's probably a reason.
Trucker I just tried your suggestion. Wow, what a difference. By the very nature of the motion, when you push on the the serrations and down on the gate at the same time it puts more pressure inwardly on the piece and is almost impossible to move. Catch it by a thumbnail on top and it pops right open. Same procedure when putting it back in the up position, use the thumbnail. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts