Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Italian mags are much higher quality.

And keep in mind, an LC9 mag and an LC9S mag are the same thing.

But I went to the Nimrod link, and their photos are showing US mags...

·
Registered
284 Posts
whats the diffrence between the ruger usa and the ruger italy
What most have noted is the USA Mags tended to be a few thousands thinner and fit loosely and some even fell out during firing without pressing the release. I have one that is a couple thousands undersized, but I have fired it through several magsful and have had no problems with it.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Most likely the Italian magazines are made by Mec-Gar. At one point many Ruger magazines were made by Mec-Gar. It would not surprise me if Ruger does not still use Mec-Gar to fill gaps in manufacturing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have four of each. I have never had a single malfunction in several thousand rounds in either. (I use my LC9S-Pro as a CCP in IDPA matches. I use my LC9 for fun.) Yes, the Italian magazines are nicer, but I [personally] don't feel they're better.

I carefully measured the width of all eight right at the locking notch. The average thickness of the Italian-made magazines is .4726". The average thickness of the American-made magazines is .4664". That's a difference of .0062". According to my digital caliper, this is less than half the thickness of my thumbnail. I don't think it's anything to get upset about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had problems with the US mags in my LC9. I carried it in a pocket holster. Often when I drew the pistol from the pocket holster, the magazine would be unlatched, and sometimes would drop out. I did not have this issue with my Italian magazines.

This problem occurred with both the 7-round US made factory mags and the 9-round US made factory mags.

And yes, Mec-Gar makes the Italian magazines.

·
Registered
392 Posts
just got this reply---

"Mec-Gar Italy is an OEM supplier direct to Ruger for LC9 magazines. The
magazines Mec-Gar Italy manufacturers are made exclusively for Ruger and
they do not offer them as a Mec-Gar branded consumer aftermarket item.

Sincerely,
Mec-Gar USA, Inc."

so I guess when your shopping look at the mag to see if it says, "made in USA" or "made in Italy".

the "made in USA" 7 round that came with the gun and the "made in USA" 9 round that I bought from Ruger (they're on backorder at Midwayusa.com), both work fine.
I'll buy some more from Midwayusa, they're $10 cheaper.
(there are also Pro-Mags available, I have never heard a good word about Pro-Mag products.)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
They show "out of stock". But, what do they charge for shipping? I get them for that same price ($34.99) from my LGS and no shipping cost.
Just search around on there, some charge more but have free shipping some are less but charge shipping, all depends on the seller...you can contact them and ask for the country of origin. There were no gun stores in my area that had the older Italian mags so if your LGS has them, them I would just pick them up locally.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321838958950&globalID=EBAY-US

1 - 14 of 14 Posts