Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have begun having issues (after 400+ rounds) of the slide not locking open after firing the 7th round. I have the original mag (US-made), and 2 more Ruger mags (Italian-made) and it seems to be most prevalent with the Italian mags. Have experienced this with both Federal 115 gr FMJ and AE 124 gr JHP. Should I conduct a thorough test at the range by cataloging different ammo, by magazine and recording failure rates or just get Ruger Cust Svc on the phone? The gunsmith at my range believes it's either poor followers or light loads or both. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Haven't had such issues with my Sigs...

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Have begun having issues (after 400+ rounds) of the slide not locking open after firing the 7th round. I have the original mag (US-made), and 2 more Ruger mags (Italian-made) and it seems to be most prevalent with the Italian mags. Have experienced this with both Federal 115 gr FMJ and AE 124 gr JHP. Should I conduct a thorough test at the range by cataloging different ammo, by magazine and recording failure rates or just get Ruger Cust Svc on the phone? The gunsmith at my range believes it's either poor followers or light loads or both. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Haven't had such issues with my Sigs...
A few had an issue where the follower gets worn to teh point where it can cause that problem. Ruger can send you a few followers to see if that is the issue. That would be quicker than sending the whole firearm back.

Check this thread:

LC9s slide stop problem/possible fix

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to Ruger CS this AM ("Katie") and decided to just send them the pistol and 3 mags and let them figure it out. After talking with her, she deduced that since the problem was apparent in all mags, that it was most likely the firearm, not the mags. She also said she was aware of the issue overall with this model, but was NOT aware of any cases where the magazine followers were the cause of the problem. Sounds like a replacement slide stop is the most common fix, based on her comments.
FWIW, the process was very easy and quick; I had a shipping label via email within minutes and she quoted me 4-5 days in-house once the package reaches them (which should be next Monday/Tuesday), then 2 more days to get it back to me.
We shall see...

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you haven't sent it in yet, go back to the range one more time and ensure that your thumb is not inadvertently resting on the Slide stop button, holding it down.

Any time one of my pistols fails to lock open, it's been due to my thumb... and I never had this problem until recently (after Decades of shooting).
Just sayin'... Definitely rule this out before sending it in. It's an easy check that nobody bothers to think about. ;) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you would mention that, since when I was at the range yesterday, trying to figure out which magazines, this ammo vs. that ammo, etc., I was loading one cartridge at a time, magazine-by-magazine, to get a better idea of failure rate. Throughout all that, I was trying to be extra careful about where both thumbs were, because the mag release button is easy to stumble onto with this pistol, too (in addition to the slide-stop lever. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 'thumb thing,' as the failures were pretty consistent and have just cropped up over the past 100 rounds or so. Odd that it's a problem that shows up AFTER what would be considered a "break-in" period. Just makes me very wary of putting it into my carry rotation until I make sure 1. that it's all resolved; and 2. That it's not going to come back after 3-400 more rounds (after the fix). We'll see.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ah... Good that you did take thumb placement into consideration. So many people don't.
Since your original post didn't mention it, I figured I'd throw it out there. :)

I'll be following this to see what Ruger says.
Of course... Many times there's no actual explanation... Just a simple check list of things they replaced and no notes as to 'Why'.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did the thumb placement thing on a shield. I thought it was gun , but it was me. At least it was easier to fix then sending it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts