Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning my LC9sPro to Ruger for failure to hold the slide open after the last round was fired from the mag (which was "fixed" by them installing a new slide lock and slide lock spring), I still encountered the same problem, as well as one FTE/jam. To make things more complicated, I invested in a couple of the 9-round extended mags.
So, I set up what I thought was a pretty controlled test: 5 magazines (3 each 7-rounders (the USA-made that come with the gun, plus two Italian-made Ruger aftermarket versions) and 2 of the new 9-rounders (also Italian-made/Ruger branded)). Numbered them 1-5 to keep track and loaded them all with 115gr Fed (white box) FMJ. All good until last shot of Mag #5 (the last of the 9-rounders), where the slide failed to lock open.
Moved on to another round, same process, but with 115 gr Blazer Brass. This time, same issue: last round of last mag failed to hold the slide back.
Kept going, this time with 5 mags of 124gr American Eagle FMJ. One FTE on one of the 7 rounders and BOTH of the 9 round mags ended up failing to hold the slide open on the last round.
Loaded the remainder of what is now 150 rounds into the two extended mags and, again, no slide lock after last shot of each mag.
So, this is 150 rounds in pretty rapid succession, under 40 minutes,with almost all of the failures coming at the end of a 39-round cycle.
Where I'm heading with all of this is this question: can this be caused because this gun is "heating up" and losing some tolerance or other that makes the slide lock fail after the last round? No doubt this little pistol gets pretty heated up with that kind of action in a relatively short period of time, but I push my other 9mm semi's (all Sigs) much harder and have NEVER had this issue.
Or, is this simply a "you get what you pay for" issue with a $350 pistol and my best choice is to get back on the horn with Ruger and get them to make it right?
Sorry for the long post, but needed to explain the testing protocol. It's not ammo, it might be the new 9 round mags, but where to go from here?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't want to sound flippant, but are you 100 percent sure your thumb isn't inadvertantly resting on the slide lock lever when shooting. The LC9s is a pretty darn small pistol which would make it very easy to accidentally have your thumb place a slight amount of downward pressure on the slide lock lever. If so, slide won't lock back after the last round.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may want to check your grip on that small pistol. Be sure that your thumb is not resting on top of the slide release when you shoot. It is easy to do and will prevent the slide from locking back.

Just saw your post dpsk. We are on the same page.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Like others have said I would make sure your thumb is not on the slide lock. If you are sure its not you I would call Ruger and tell them you do not trust that gun any longer, you want a full refund. You bought the gun because of Ruger's good reputation. Now they have let you down. Ruger will probably send a new gun out to you. If the new gun is still a problem then be firm you will not accept anything but a full refund.

If you bought the gun with a credit card use your buyers protection. The credit card company is aware of the firearms industries shoddy reputation on customer service and slap a hold on Rugers account.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
100% sure my thumb wasn't interfering with the slide lock. Paid very close attention to this, based on my past experiences/frustrations. My grip is not the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to the range today, with just the 9-round Ruger extended mags (which produce much better accuracy for me, anyway, just because of the improved purchase).
Ran a box of 115 gr and a box of 124 gr FMJ, pretty much equally between the two mags, so 5+ magazines-full on each one.
The very FIRST magazine held the slide lock back, and the rest failed 100% to do so.
On the phone with Ruger C/S tomorrow, I guess.
Love this pistol, it's plenty accurate for what it is (which isn't a range gun) and the extended grips are awesome, it's a dream to carry, etc., etc., but it's got to be more reliable than this to make the rotation...

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife has an LC9 and it has been 100% reliable. Yep, send it back to Ruger.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Back to the range today, with just the 9-round Ruger extended mags (which produce much better accuracy for me, anyway, just because of the improved purchase).
Ran a box of 115 gr and a box of 124 gr FMJ, pretty much equally between the two mags, so 5+ magazines-full on each one.
The very FIRST magazine held the slide lock back, and the rest failed 100% to do so.
On the phone with Ruger C/S tomorrow, I guess.
Love this pistol, it's plenty accurate for what it is (which isn't a range gun) and the extended grips are awesome, it's a dream to carry, etc., etc., but it's got to be more reliable than this to make the rotation...
And this isn't the follower issue from this earlier thread?

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/130787-lc9s-pro-slide-not-locking-back.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ruger couldn't have been nicer about it (CSR "Maggie" was very sympathetic). She issued me a shipping label via email and had me include all five (5) magazines so the could "get them all working together."

Will report back next week.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing if this is Follower (binding up) related, or something else.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do, Rob. Since they already replaced the slide stop and slide stop spring, it will be interesting to see what they find this time around...
Will report back next week!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, whatever happened in Rugerland, it was a quick turnaround. They received the LC9sPro in AZ yesterday and I just got the notice from FedEx that it's on its way back to me. Will be here on Tues, so we'll see what they found and what they did about it.

More to come...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe that means that whatever staff is working on LC9/LC9S returns is running low on infeed. That would be a good thing! Almost all design and QA issues resolved?

- Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe that means that whatever staff is working on LC9/LC9S returns is running low on infeed. That would be a good thing! Almost all design and QA issues resolved?

- Jay
Well, we shall see, Jay. My suspicion is that this time around it's related to the extended 9-round mags, not the pistol itself. In fact, the CSR who I spoke with on the phone was quite surprised to hear that I had just ordered (within the past 2 weeks or so) a couple of the longer mags. She said she thought they were "being re-worked" or words to that effect. These do appear to be the old design and have some of the same "issues" that I'd read others complain about, such as the fact that there are only holes that show up to 7 rounds being in the mag, vs. holes that would show #8 and #9. I'm willing to put up with stuff like that, as the longer mags sure do give me a better hold on the pistol, and much better accuracy vs. the stock mags. Maybe they just swapped in longer/stiffer springs? We'll see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The frustration continues...
Received the pistol and all five magazines yesterday, with service notes indicating that they completely replaced the two (2) 9-round/extended Italian-made mags with USA-made magazines. Indicated that they ran 50 rounds through the gun (how many mags was NOT clear) "without malfunction."
So, took it to the range and the three (3) 7-rounders performed fine, but one of the two new, USA extended mags failed to hold the slide back after the last round fired (90% of the time), which is what started this whole saga over a month ago.
Called Ruger and started out with a Cust Svc woman who seemed to want to turn it into an ammo issue, but I was able to convince her that WASN'T it. She ended up transferring me to the Tech who had allegedly worked on my firearm in the shop.
"Dave" was very kind and patient, and asked me to describe the appearance of the bottom of the extended USA mag, and talked about some "versions" that had too much play in the follower and could fail to hold the slide open because of that.
Long story short, they're just sending me another 9-round extended mag to see if that solves the problem. If not, it's back to Ruger for one more once-over.
It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two updates (sorry for not keeping up):
1. They swapped out the two "Italian-made" extended mags for USA-made mags on the early Sept trip to AZ. I had Talon grip tape on the extended ends and they even took the tape off of the Italian mags and put it on the USA mags. They also moved my number labels (I'd labeled all five mags to be able to keep straight what was working and what wasn't) from the Italian mags to the new USA mags. Then they "test fired 50 rounds...without incident" and shipped the pistol and all 5 mags back to me.
Took the two new, USA extended mags to the range and experienced 100% satisfactory performance with one of them (held the slide open every time) and nearly 100% FAILURE rate with the other USA extended mag. Burned up another 100 rounds of a couple different types of ammo to prove this, but wanted to be able to document different variables.
So, called Ruger AGAIN to report this outcome. After a meaningless skirmish with the CSR who answered my call and wanted to implicate the ammo I was using, I ended up talking directly with the Tech who had worked on the pistol on its latest trip to the shop. He immediately went to to the exact design of the USA mags I'd been sent and decided to send me another, different USA-made extended mag. I received that mag late last week and took it to the range yesterday, experiencing 100% failure to hold the slide open (and, as before, 100% good performance with the 'other' USA extended mag they'd sent me earlier). Which leads to Part 2.
2. Called the Tech back and described the performance I experienced, and he went straight after the fact that this is some kind of follower issue (with apologies to those above who diagnosed this a while ago...). He's sending me 2-3 individually measured followers to swap out, believing that some followers are "too narrow" and lead to too much play, which prevents the follower from properly catching the slide stop and holding it open. So, new slide stops on the way, I'll swap them out with the mags that have been failing and report back next week.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Two updates (sorry for not keeping up):
Which leads to Part 2.

2. Called the Tech back and described the performance I experienced, and he went straight after the fact that this is some kind of follower issue (with apologies to those above who diagnosed this a while ago...). He's sending me 2-3 individually measured followers to swap out, believing that some followers are "too narrow" and lead to too much play, which prevents the follower from properly catching the slide stop and holding it open. So, new slide stops on the way, I'll swap them out with the mags that have been failing and report back next week.
Very good info.

(Even though you've burnt thru a lot of ammo, you are still creating good muscle memory with your LC9s....try to look on the bright side.)

If you look at that follower issue thread I posted here earlier, it mentioned that the LRHO (slide stop lever) being bent slightly so it wasn't catching the follower after some metal/plastic wear occured.

That means there are still two possibilities causing this: a bent slide stop tab and/or a two narrow follower (and/or a two narrow mag shell).

Many have had issues (at least early on) with the USA built mags vs the Italian mags, in part because (and I measured this on my own mags) the USA mag shells are thinner. That would obviously require a thinner follower. Those thinner mag shells allowed a lot of mags to drop free because the mag catch could get a good hold on the mag. (I have two USA mags and two Italy mags and haven't had an issue yet in over 1500 rounds...knock on wood.)

If you take the mags/followers that are giving you a problem and place some tape on the opposite side of the mag from the slide lever; does that give enough extra thickness to where the mechanism works?

If so, it would again show Ruger that they need to make the USA mags wider to match the dimension of the Italian mags....

It is always good when the potential causes of a problem are getting narrowed down to just a few specific items...

(I think that when Ruger redesigned the polymer portion of the LC9s to remove the hammer spring mechanism, etc., they made the mag well slightly wider. I don't recall hearing that the early LC9 hammer version had issues with LRHO and mags dropping.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This Ruger tech hasn't gotten that specific with me so far, other than to acknowledge that there are "follower issues" that are causing problems like mine, and there's no question that the followers that he's sending to me are "wider" than the followers that are in the USA mags that are failing to hold the slide open.

What's interesting, based on your comments, is that the first thing they jumped to was KEEPING the ITalian mags I had just bought and REPLACING THEM WITH USA mags, only to have one USA mag work and another replicate the problem that the Italian mags showed.

Well, Ruger seems thankful for my patience and help in figuring this out, and if it helps other owners in the process, then that's a good thing.

And, you're right, I'm getting some good practice/muscle memory in on the relatively new pistol.

More to come; I'll update soon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts