Ruger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Interesting.

I don't know if Mecgar builds the entire mag or just make the metal shell and then Ruger or another company does the final assembly.

Makes me wonder if some of the Italian mags somehow ended up with followers intended for the narrower USA shells.

I need to disassemble some of my mags (being very carefull to keep the followers paired with the correct shell) and take some follower measurements.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the updates... It does indeed read like you're helping them work out a fix that could help many other owners.
Stay Patient. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have received and installed 2 new followers in the 2 extended mags that have been failing to hold the slide open. To the range tomorrow and an update after that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, great news! The new, wider followers did the trick and i went through the two suspect extended mags several times with no failures to hold the slide open on last round fired. Used both 115 gr Blazer Brass and 124 gr American Eagle (both FMJ). Confirmed (again) that the extended grips produce much better accuracy, no surprise when you consider that the standard mags only allow for a partial grip with your little finger.

Called my tech at Ruger and reported the results and he claimed that the followers he sent measured some 10/1000ths "wider" than others he had been used to seeing. He claimed our work together has them working with the engineers to improve the product line overall, from follower dimensions to overall mag/slide stop/slide stop spring design.

So, there you have it. If any of you are experiencing the issue covered here, don't hesitate to call Ruger and work with them on what for many is a simple fix while they work out future production specs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, great news! The new, wider followers did the trick and i went through the two suspect extended mags several times with no failures to hold the slide open on last round fired. Used both 115 gr Blazer Brass and 124 gr American Eagle (both FMJ). Confirmed (again) that the extended grips produce much better accuracy, no surprise when you consider that the standard mags only allow for a partial grip with your little finger.

Called my tech at Ruger and reported the results and he claimed that the followers he sent measured some 10/1000ths "wider" than others he had been used to seeing. He claimed our work together has them working with the engineers to improve the product line overall, from follower dimensions to overall mag/slide stop/slide stop spring design.

So, there you have it. If any of you are experiencing the issue covered here, don't hesitate to call Ruger and work with them on what for many is a simple fix while they work out future production specs.
Thanks I just got 2 of the extended magazine I will have to check both are US made magazines

·
Registered
4,746 Posts

very good.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
So now I wonder exactly what ARE the optimum follower dimensions???

- Jay
It would depend upon which magazine shell you have. My USA made shells are narrower than the Italian mags. there is a definite width difference between the two style followers I have.

If a narrower follower is put in a wide shell (for example, you take all of your mags apart and mix the followers up) then the LRHO tab may not fully engage the ledge on the follower.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Definitely a difference in USA vs. Italian-made. As noted, I originally bought two Italian made extended mags, encountered problems, sent them in along with the pistol, and they replaced them with USA mags. That didn't work out, so we moved on to the follower solution. Never got any dimensions from the tech, but he claims to have measured a few before picking out which two to send me, and "wider is better."
And Doggie is right about the differences. WHen I replaced the ones in my "new" American-made mags with the ones Ruger sent me, the two I removed were totally different - one was longer than the other. Seems to be lots of different pieces and parts floating around out there.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts