Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched the Galloway LC9S detail strip YouTube over and over trying to see how he removes the rear striker cover, but he blocks the camera with his hand at a critical point. I can see no"hole" anywhere between the striker and the end cover. Nothing moves in a way that releases the cover.
Where is that blasted hole? :confused:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have watched the Galloway LC9S detail strip YouTube over and over trying to see how he removes the rear striker cover, but he blocks the camera with his hand at a critical point. I can see no"hole" anywhere between the striker and the end cover. Nothing moves in a way that releases the cover.
Where is that blasted hole? :confused:
The iddy biddy hole is in what would be the bottom of the "STRIKER SLEEVE" if the gun were right side up ... but you'll probably be looking for and at the little hole while you have the slide upside down.

Go to http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/LC9s-Hf8E3P74Sa.pdf and look on page 34. Find part # 29 ... that's what you'll be looking for when you have the slide out and upside down. Part 29 is black.

NOTE: You need to be sure to take the tension off of the striker spring [PER THE INSTRUCTIONS] by pulling the trigger before you remove the slide from the frame.

Use a very small punch or a pick. The striker cover [part #29] has to be moved toward the front of the slide just slightly. That will release the striker cover [part #33] So the cover can be easily slid out of the slide.

Hope that helps ya ... I know the feeling!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for repeating the details for an LC9 that I don't have.

Now I need the details for an LC9S
Follow what Trucker said. He gave you the instructions for the LC9s, go to the link he provided, it's the same in your instruction manual that came with your gun.
That little 1/16" hole is hard to see because looking at it it's black with a black background.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Follow what Trucker said. He gave you the instructions for the LC9s, go to the link he provided, it's the same in your instruction manual that came with your gun.
That little 1/16" hole is hard to see because looking at it it's black with a black background.
You're a lot kinder than I would have been.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My lc9S slide upside down on the bench.

Find part # 29 ... that's what you'll be looking for when you have the slide out and upside down. Part 29 is black.
Hmmm! I still believe you are referring to an LC9 slide, not an lc9S slide.

As you can see part 29 is not visible - it is inside the slide. The rear of part 28 is visible.
What I am asking is how to remove part 33, not the striker - that will fall out when part 33is removed.

·
Registered
332 Posts

My lc9S slide upside down on the bench.

Hmmm! I still believe you are referring to an LC9 slide, not an lc9S slide.

As you can see part 29 is not visible - it is inside the slide. The rear of part 28 is visible.
What I am asking is how to remove part 33, not the striker - that will fall out when part 33is removed.
Believe me sir, what I linked you to is the instruction manual for the LC9S. First off, the LC9 has no striker ... but if you noticed part #29 and part #33 [along with other parts which the LC9 does not have] are listed and depicted.

Look down into that space between your two arrows! That black object is part #29 ... the 'Striker Sleeve". The hole you're looking for is visible in that part. It's even visible in your photo!

If you don't recognize/understand what we're trying to explain perhaps you should get some hand on assistance??

·
Registered
284 Posts
This video could have been done better, you can't really see what he's doing most of the time.
Yup, the OP stated that in his first post. I had the same problem at first. Even though you can't hardly see the hole, I found it quite easily with a 1/16" punch and then had no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:eek: First I'll eat a measure of crow - there is a hole - you are correct.

Trucker;
I downloaded the LC9S manual before I even had the gun, and studied the parts chart then. I doesn't help that the striker sleeve, part 29 is not shown in the correct relationship to the striker.
Secondly the hole in the black sleeve is black against black slide interior and even with a powerful work light could not be seen.
I finally got it pushed forward enough to remove the striker cover by just jabbing around with an ice pick.
I painted the hole white - and after re-assembling the slide, I can see the hole is half under the back of the striker - not very visible nor accessible
And with a plastic sleeve it wont take much jabbing before the hole is too large to work - it should be metal.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I painted the hole white - and after re-assembling the slide, I can see the hole is half under the back of the striker - not very visible nor accessible
And with a plastic sleeve it wont take much jabbing before the hole is too large to work - it should be metal.
Whatever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Trucker

Joined up just to say thanks to Trucker for the informative postings.

Picked up my LC9s on Thursday and like every new firearm I get, couldn't wait to do a detail strip, clean and polish. Scoured the net to find information to flesh out the YouTube demonstration. This was the site and thread that led me to the striker sleeve hole. Everything else was cake. Removed the mag disconnect while I was in there (Sorry if that offends anyone.....but removing that piece and spring eliminated the last little hitch in the trigger pull. YMMV.) and final result is a very smooth crisp 4.5# trigger pull.

So thanks Trucker. Sometimes wisdom falls on deaf ears.....but not always.
;)

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Joined up just to say thanks to Trucker for the informative postings.

Picked up my LC9s on Thursday and like every new firearm I get, couldn't wait to do a detail strip, clean and polish. Scoured the net to find information to flesh out the YouTube demonstration. This was the site and thread that led me to the striker sleeve hole. Everything else was cake. Removed the mag disconnect while I was in there (Sorry if that offends anyone.....but removing that piece and spring eliminated the last little hitch in the trigger pull. YMMV.) and final result is a very smooth crisp 4.5# trigger pull.

So thanks Trucker. Sometimes wisdom falls on deaf ears.....but not always.
;)
By removing the mag disconnect you did offend (not really) about half the people here. If you had left it you would have offended the other half. That's what makes this fun!

When I last detail cleaned my SR9C I sat there with the mag disconnect in my hand for a while (was watching a football game too) trying to decide. I finally put it back in but it may not stay there forever.

Trucker - you should have been a teacher. Except I wouldn't really wish that on anyone! (That didn't love teaching)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I feel the same way with the mag disconnect. There are good points and bad points but in the end it went into the trash and I believe that I am happier that it did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts