Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot both of these? I'm a Ruger fan and would like to get one 9mm that will perform well for home protection, target shooting and personal concealed carry.

I realize there's no perfect gun for all three scenarios, but I'm leaning towards the sr9c. Obviously, it is not as conceal able as the lc9s, but my thoughts are that it would be a better shooter.

Curious if anyone else uses either of these guns as their primary for these scenarios. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have an SR9c, and I have shot the LC9s several times - enough to know I'll own one soon. I'll probably trade in my LCR for an LC9s.

I would recommend you go with the SR9c. I CC it often, and it is easier to carry than I would have thought. I'd say that the only advantage of the LC9s is in its size, for concealment. It is harder to shoot (but still an excellent shooter), and the small size kind of works against you in drawing, and giving you a stable platform.

I'm going to get one for deep conceal, but I still will think the SR9c will be go-to because of the better capacity, and better grip/draw capability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought an SR9c in September. So far, I've run 1200 rounds through it, and couldn't be happier. Not one single issue in a dozen outings. Bought it for CC, and it fits great under a loose jacket... not thrilled with my current holster, but that ain't Ruger's fault.

Fired the LC9 (also M&P 9 Shield, Glock 26, etc, etc) but I didn't care for the trigger throw on the LC9. SR9c with the 17 round mag is also large enough to be stable when CC is not necessary... pop in the 10 and head out.

Best advice, find a gun range that will rent both to you, and shoot them back to back. Here in my part of the woods there's a great range that charges $15 per visit extra (not per gun, per visit) to shoot their hardware... once I got my hands on the SR9c the decision was made.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I own both the SR9C and the LC9S.............and I like them both.

At the range, the SR9C is my favorite to shoot. Very accurate, very comfortable, and very dependable.

For CC, the LC9S is my go to. It's thinner so it conceals easier, shoots very well, and is also dependable.

I would carry the SR9C as my conceal gun, but between my thickness and it's thickness it's just not comfortable right now.

Steve

·
Registered
765 Posts
I also have both and love both. For me its not that much harder to conceal the SR than the LC. I just started to carry and I'm trying multiple solutions. If you can afford it get both. The thing that really makes a difference in concealment is your clothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The sr9c size and capacity wins on your first two requirements. When warm weather concealment gets here, the LCP or Bodygauard size pistols may fit better anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I tend to agree with the others, get both! Right now I just have the SR9c, and with the larger mag it's a pretty good range gun, and 17 rounds ought to be plenty for home defense. Myself, I carry a S&W shield most days, but the wife is starting to want to carry, so I'm looking at the LC9s for her. The slimmer guns are more comfy for me to carry, but in a Alien Gear/Crossbreed type holster, almost anything is comfortable to me. I would recommend starting with the SR9c first, if you can only start with one. It does cover all bases quite well.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've shot my friend's LC9 many times so I am familiar with it. I've owned (and still do) an SR9c; which shares EDC with my Sig. As you've already conceded, every choice is a compromise. As soon as you've handled both and confirmed that they both work for you, my advice is decide which among your 3 intended uses is most important and lean toward the following:

Better for home defense - SR9c [larger, with better grip and easier handling of recoil and follow up shots;
Better for target/range - SR9c [longer site radius, inherently better accuracy;
CCW/concealment - LC9.

If concealment trumps the other 2 purposes, then perhaps you might want to consider an LCP. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have both.

Bought a SR9c 5+ years ago, carried it alot and have more than 5500 trouble free rounds thru it.

I bought the LC9s last February. No issues with eeh almost 1800 rounds thru it.

At the range, when shooting from 7 yards or less (SD distances), both do equally well. At greater distances, the SR9c wins.

Obviously the LC9s is much easier to conceal, but there are times when only my LCP goes along for the ride.

OP, you have to decide what matters most to you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't have an SR9C but I do have an LC9 and an LC9s Pro. I do have comparable sized guns to the SR9C that I shoot well and much better than the LC9. The trigger on my LC9s Pro is so good though that I shoot it just as good as larger pistols at SD range. That being said, I carry a larger gun anyway just because I can conceal it well, it's not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be, and I have a higher capacity. Nothing wrong with the LC9s Pro, if for some reason I needed a smaller gun or had to pocket carry I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
macdaddy17, you are correct in thinking that the SR9c is going to be easier to shoot as a range gun. The LC9s with its greater recoil, shorter sight radius, and rudimentary sights just doesn't measure up as well as the SR9c for a good day at the range. The LC9 guns were designed with concealment as the primary purpose and reliable short range accuracy. Your main intended use should determine your choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I own both as well as an LCP. The LCP has become my go to CC gun because it fits my pocket so well. It's a really nice carry gun. My LC9S seems to have a slightly better trigger than my SR9C. It also conceals very well. My SR9C is a great range pistol and it travels with me as a car/truck gun. It's also a great house gun with the 17 round mag. I say buy all three then all the bases are covered. Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both SR9 and SR9c as well as LC9. I haven't shot the LC9s, but the LC9 with the DA trigger shoots exceptionally well, so the striker fired version is probably even smoother. For CCW, the LC9 is really slim and flat and very light, so it's great to carry. However, if you are limited to one, I would recommend the SR9c.

I originally bought the SR9c for my wife since the LC9s wasn't available at the time and she preferred the shorter trigger pull of a striker fired auto. We've shot both the SR9 and SR9c a lot and never had a problem with either. Can't say the same for the LC9.

If you are looking for one gun that does it all, the SR9c would be my recommendation. It's exceptionally dependable and easy to shoot well consistently.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depends what is important to you. I chose the LC9s because ease of concealment was my priority. Fits well in my front pants pocket (in a pocket holster). Also realize that it is much lighter due to less rounds in the magazine which was important to me. More available rounds might be important to you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't shot the sr9c. But I do EDC an lc9s, it's my CC gun. I've got around 2000 rounds through it and only had a couple FTE that happened in the first 100 rounds, I've had no problems since then. I've only had my license since march and still a noob when it comes to shooting guns. 20ft and under the gun is spot on, anything over that it starts getting all over the place, maybe its just my inexperience. For me the LC9s is a great EDC CC gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own both also. I first purchased the SR9C because at the time the LC9S did not exist. Both have nice trigger pulls but that edge goes to the LC9S. Both shoot very well. I really like them both. I use the LC9S for in home defense but I carry the LC9S when I leave the house. Hardly know that I have it on me because of its smaller size and less weight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The SR9C was my everyday carry gun for over 3 Years, great shooter and carries well. Last July it has been replaced by the LC9S Pro, not as comfortable to shoot as the SR9C, but much easier to carry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts