Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again.

Putting off the PRP trigger job for right now since I don't want to affect the trigger pull weight as much as I want to change the reset.

Anyway, the 2017 LC9s I just picked up a week ago had very little use (less than 100 rounds fired) and already had the Hi Viz sights installed too. While I did like them in bright light, my eyes were not keen on the them at the range - the front dot disappeared...and simply swapping green to the rear and red on the front didn't help either.

So to more closely match my stock SR9c with the large front white dot and smaller white backs, I switched the 9s to Truglo Tritium Pro's. This gives me a similar effect and the added night sight green too. What a difference for me at the range! I really did like the HiViz Litewaves but for my eyes I really like the new Pros much better.

I have only put 200 rounds thru my 9c and now 250 more rounds thru the 9s and can hit pretty accurate and tight groups at 20 feet. The 9c I can do the same at 30 but the 9s will take more practice at that distance.

Anyway, after almost 20 different handguns over 30+ years I think I finally hit on the 2 that make me a better shot! Both Rugers. Regards.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
Sadly, I spent money on the Hi Viz for my LC9s Pro, and damn were they pretty, and worked great, but only under conditions that I seldom encountered, and quite poor at the range / normal lighting. The quality was also poor, and I worried they would get damaged under normal use. In the end I also went for TruGlo, but got the TFX sights, which oddly glow much better in normal light than the Hi Viz, are solid tritium night sights, and like yours, have the white ring around the front sight. The TFX Pro has the raised rear sight like yours, but has an orange ring that I do not think stands out well. The online pictures seldom give you a good perspective, so any chance to see yours on the weapon?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend who loves his HiViz and they do look pretty cool, imho, but the range is important to me so that I am very comfortable with my accuracy, and they just didn't cut it for me...maybe a few years ago when my sight was a bit better.

Hopefully this pic shows them off...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might upgrade the SR9c to same/similar someday too, but I shoot it very well as is and since at the range/daylight the two have similar sighting I am good for now.

Will probably list the HiViz for sale soon now that I know I won't use them again.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
I have a friend who loves his HiViz and they do look pretty cool, imho, but the range is important to me so that I am very comfortable with my accuracy, and they just didn't cut it for me...maybe a few years ago when my sight was a bit better.

Hopefully this pic shows them off...
No, I totally agree, at 49, I loved the look of the HiViz, but even outdoors, I could only see the dots super well when I was facing a certain direction (not very practical). I noticed that all the TruGlo 'Pro' sights have the U notch rear sights. Do they seem to be an improvement over square, or just gimmicky?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I like the U notch. On the Glock 43 (limited edition Lipsey Vickers) I'm selling it had the Ameriglo front and Battlesight U notch on the back. The difference being that the new ones on the LC9s is just the right size for the front dot...the Battlesight required it to be in the center of the enlongated notch - OK, but different. So, yes I like the TruGlo version.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
Good to hear. I went with the square notch, partly because I am familiar with it, and partly because the Pro TFX was orange instead of white, and because the rear sight was elevated to let you rack the slide with it (not sure I could if I tried). Can't help but notice the spider hanging out on top there. Any functional benefit? (looks cool). Anyway, here are what my sights end up looking like...

(Perspective is off in terms of front post size, and my camera is terrible in low light, but I would say the tritium is comparable to yours.)​

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the TFX but decided that keeping the LC and SR basically the same with daylight white also helps my wife and son learn to shoot without having too many different sights to adjust to.

As far as the spider, I just replaced it yesterday after changing sights the other day (tore up the other due to clamping, etc.) and noticed it was a bit loose in the pic...anyway, those are a sandpaper type grip that adheres (very well when applied properly, lol) to the top and over the sides and alongside the serrations to help with racking. The LC is very sharp edged for my wife to grip and even though this is similar to sandpaper it is easier for her. Plus my moniker from racing days is SpyderByte (amateur racing with Fiat Spider) and I couldn't pass up the spider.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
No experience with the LC9, but I have several S&W M&P's, both the Fullsize and the smaller Shield, and I have put Tru-Glo's on all of them.
Mine are the TFX, not the PRO's, but I noticed the last set of TFO's that I ordered for my .45 Shield have a white ring around the front capsule.

My Performance Center Shield (.40 with an extra 9mm barrel) came with the HiViz sights, and like Gladius64, my Hi Viz were hard to see unless you were facing a certain direction in relation to the light.
My front Hi Viz got damaged and when I went to replace it, S&W wanted $50 just for the front fiber optic sight. I called Hi-Viz and the price was better, but almost $40.

I decided to get another pair of Tru-Glo's, $76 shipped from Amazon, instead of spending so much for just a front fiber optic sight (no Tritium) to replace the broken one.
Now, not only are they easier to see in the day than the Hi-Viz, they also show up well at night, and weren't much more expensive than straight fiber optic sights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sandog that looks really nice.

Like guns I guess that sights are different for everybody too...I've never changed them from what was on a gun and I really liked the HiViz in the store but the range was bad for me more than anything else.

I am really liking the Pro's. When I looked at the Pro and TFX there was a big difference in price and not having TruGlo before I decided to save a bit this time. If I decide to upgrade the SR9c I might look at them instead. But the Pros are good for me on the LC9s.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
Mine are the TFX, not the PRO's, but I noticed the last set of TFO's that I ordered for my .45 Shield have a white ring around the front capsule....
I'm not saying for sure, but I think the sights on your gun in the picture above, are TruGlo TFOs, and not TFXs. Non Pro TFXs (like the ones on my LC9S above) all have white rings around the front sight, have larger dots, and come only in green fiber-optic (yours are yellow in the rear). I like the dots on the TFOs better, but the company hypes the new glass container around the fiber-optics (that makes the dot smaller) on the TFXs that protect them against damage. The new set for your shield that you mentioned would be the TFX, as they have the white ring at the front.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yes, I meant to say TFO, not TFX. I did say TFO later in the same sentence.
I must have had TFX on my brain as you and SpyderByte had just been talking about them.
All three sets of mine said TFO in the description when I ordered them. And said TFO on the package when I got them. But the last set on the .45 have a white circle around the front capsule, but are yellow rear/green front like the others.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
that's a good-looking site what's the name of it again.
SpyderByte's are TruGlo Tritium Pro Night Sights, sandog's are TruGlo TFO Tritium/Fiber-optic sights, and mine are TruGlo TFX Tritium/Fiber-optic sights.
Those are the ones in the pictures anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I got a chance to work with the LC9s again today until my shoulder got too exhausted to do anymore (2 surgeries and 8 pins takes its toll). I am a righty but learning to shoot one handed and with my left hand now. Almost 100 rounds thru the LC9s and the last 7 rnd mag ended up looking like this at 25 feet. I will take that all day long! I will attribute a lot of it to the Pros on it too.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
I will take that all day long!
Very nice sir, and considering the circumstances as well...

I am looking to take a trip with friends on Sunday to an in-door range down south (Manchester Firing Line). It will be my first real chance to try out my LC9s since I switched to the TFXs and had the new trigger return spring put in, so I'm excited. I will post my results (if I end up going). My LGS is putting the new M*CARBO spring kit into my LCP, and if it is done in time, I will get to try that out as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gladius64 did you get out to test the new sights on teh LC9s on Sunday? I am curious how the TFXs did on it. Also the trigger setup on the LCP?

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
Gladius64 did you get out to test the new sights on teh LC9s on Sunday? I am curious how the TFXs did on it. Also the trigger setup on the LCP?
My friend's plans changed last minute, and I found out late on Saturday that he had to call it off. The LCP would not have been ready regardless (LGS called to say I could pick it up tomorrow), but all in all disappointed. Our town has a new outdoor range, but it does not open till the spring, and I'm not really feeling outdoor shooting in the kind of weather we've been having. I've gotten my hands on some older 115gr FMJ from a relative who has gotten out of shooting (a mix of Independence, Remington, and Winchester White Box) so I just need to wait till I have a place to shoot.

·
Forlorn Hope
425 Posts
...Also the trigger setup on the LCP?
So I just got back my LCP with the M*CARBO spring kit installed. Everyone at the store wanted to try it (LCPs and LCP IIs are big sellers there). There was no one who seemed worried about the trigger weight. There is still no take up, just a long steady pull, followed by the break. The difference in pull weight is dramatic. I would say the pull was less than 4lbs, but I know that's because you have a steady 3ish pound pull with the 4lbs at the break, so your mind fixates on the overall pull. The reset clicks (The LCP has the fake click before the real one) seem much more distinct. I tried one of their Gen 2 LCPs, so I could make a direct comparison, and the improvement is ludicrous. I now want to go shooting just to run through a box of 380! If you've ever shot the LCP for even a short while, you know how weird that sounds. The 13lb recoil spring, grip sleeve, and mag extension have already made the recoil tolerable, so...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts