Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to use super strong magnets, I even put it in the freezer for ten minutes hoping the metal would contract. It hasn't budged. Any recommendations on how to get it out?

This is a brand new 22/45 Lite. I installed a victory trigger, slingshot mod, magazine release bushing, VQ sear, Hogue grips, lighter firing pin, TK Compensator and extractor. The LCI indicator is the only problem I had.

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Small curved hemostat worked for me. Maybe I just got lucky, but everything else I tried failed.

Love my 22/45, hope you enjoy yours as much.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Take a block of wood and set it on a workbench. Then grasp the receiver by the barrel and bang it down onto the wood, like striking the wooden block with a mallet, do this several times firmly. The opening in the tube for the magazine is the part you want to strike the wood, which is just beyond the pivot pin. You may also need to push slightly on the center part of the LCI where the pin resides to reduce any friction from the spring tension on the lever which is imparted onto the LCI pivot pin. The centrifugal force generated by the receive as it strikes the wood should loosen up the pin enough for removal.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
880 Posts
For my Hunter, I took a small leather mallet and gave several sharp raps on the top of the barrel above the pin and it finally moved enough to get with tweezers.

For my Competition the magnet trick worked great.

Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Did you all notice that the OP said that he had a Lite model? Not sure how much hammering I would do to, or with, an aluminum receiver. JMHO

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nope, didn't notice the "light" portion of his post. Guess I always think in stainless steel. Yep, maybe hammering might not be a good idea so skip my suggestion. Good catch HighS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some hammering with a rubber mallet and it didn't work. Yes it is a Lite.

Would a gunsmith have some sort of tool or technique?

·
Registered
947 Posts
You can certainly pay one of my colleagues to remove your LCI if you choose, or you can follow the technique I have already described for you. If you are concerned about any possible marring on the receiver, then instead of a wooden block take your rubber mallet and place it on a workbench. The rubber head of the mallet will act as an anvil surface. Remove the receiver from the pistol frame and take the bolt out. Hold the pistol receiver by the barrel end and swing it down onto the rubber mallet head like you are using it as a hammer. You want the frame side of the receiver facing downward, and you also want the receiver to strike the mallet head in such a way that the receiver leaves an ample open space for the pivot pin to exit the receiver body. You will have to strike if fairly hard down onto the mallet to jar the pin loose since the receiver is so light weight, don't be shy smack it hard, and this process make take several raps to dislodge the pin. Again you may also have to press lightly along side of the LCI to relieve any pressure placed on the pin by the return springs that could also be holding the pin fast into the frame.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, i did it some days ago, i had to hit 30 or 40 times with a rubber mallet before i was able to grab the pin.

I think the 20 first hits did nothing, then slowly, i saw the pin going out, 1 or 2 millimeters total, and took a clamp to finish the job.

good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this is an old thread but on another forum I'm on, there was quite a bit of discussion concerning the removal of the LCIs in the various 22/45 LITE versions.

Bottom line is that there are some LITEs that have the LCI glued in, some that have the LCIs pinched due to the torque of the barrel, and some that will just come out (or come out with tapping).

Only my blue fishgill 22/45 LITE had the LCI pin come out with tapping. I had 3 red fishgills, 1 bronze fluted, 1 black fluted, all the had "stuck" LCI. Tapping didn't work, hammering a little harder (block of wood, etc) didn't work, freezing the slide didn't work, etc (I tried all of the methods mentioned on the other forum). I ended up cutting out the LCI on 2 of my LITEs and then cutting a little notch in the pin and prying it out. I don't recommend this because it very easy to nic the anodized finish (as I know very well).

What FINALLY worked was heating up the LCI pin with a very very very hot hair dryer (and I mean hot) for about 10-15 minutes. The slide was so hot I had to hold with a pot holder. When it was hot I'd try tapping it out and if it didn't budge I'd keep heating it. Finally it would come out far enough to grab it and remove it. I guess in this case mine had some sort of glue. I didn't really see any but there was a little liquid in that area when I heated it which I guess could have been melted glue.

In all, I removed the LCI in 6 22/45 LITES and as mentioned above, only the blue anodized came out "normally"!!! Other forum members had the same exact thing happen and had their own horror stories to post as well.

I've never been so annoyed in my life, ridiculous that those pins, in many cases won't come out normally. :mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
QB.... after banging my head //and the Lite// against the wall, i re-seached the forum and found your tip about heating it up. 15 mins with the wife's hair dryer (how DO women use those things?) and whacks with a plastic mallet and voila!! Out came the pin. Must've been glued in there as well. Thank you thank you thank you.

bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the blue fish gill pistol.

There is no way on Gods green earth that I am getting the LCI pin out.
I have tried heat, needle nose pliers, tweezers, banging it and none has even
Budged the pin. I am so mad. A great little pistol but a total PITA to work on.

I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of tricks, none that seem to work on my
Pistol. I just don't know what to do at this point.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the blue fish gill pistol.

There is no way on Gods green earth that I am getting the LCI pin out.
I have tried heat, needle nose pliers, tweezers, banging it and none has even
Budged the pin. I am so mad. A great little pistol but a total PITA to work on.

I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of tricks, none that seem to work on my
Pistol. I just don't know what to do at this point.
I gave up trying to get mine out too. I just decided to keep the LCI clean and just continue shooting. Now that it is broken in it shoots fine. The LCI works as it should without any hangups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts