Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new lcp 2, one original mag that came with it and one additional ruger 7 round bought new.
If slide is locked back, and you hit the slide release with mag inserted, the slide catches on the magazine follower. On Lcp 1 mags, slide passes right over without issue. Follower is definitely higher with more back edge exposed on the lcp 2 mags. Is this typical?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the LCP 2 (I own one) was designed to prefer a slingshot slide return rather than using the slide release which is primarily a ‘hold open’ decoce. in the manual it suggests that the lode be engaged by the ‘slingshot‘ method. Page 13 bullet point 5.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does this happen on both the 6 round mag and 7? When you use the term LCP2 does it refer to the LCP Version 2 or the LCPII?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
My LCP II did this when it was brand new, along with the mag catching on the mag release. Did some googling and discovered both are not uncommon. This is not really a precision made pistol, and some parts need to be worn in. The mag release catching is easily remedied by slapping the mag home a few dozen times. Your behavior is easier to remedy by just shooting it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the LCP II, the redesigned LCP with the glock type trigger. Not that this is a major issue, but it is unusual. I have the LCP 1st generator also, and with that mag the follower is lower and the slide can pass over the top. Can't understand the logic of having the follower so high that the slide can hit it. This was done with the M1 carbine, where you could buy a mag with a tapered back on the follower, or one cut at a right angle. The slide would pass over and push down the tapered follower, but snag and stay open on the right angle cut follower. The M1 did not have a slide lock feature so the later mag would tell the shooters the last round was fired. Just seems that if the Lcp 1follower works in the LCP II, and lets the slide close, why not use that follower design, with the releif for the lock back. seems ruger would have gotten this right the first time, can't be intentional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts