Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my brand new Ruger LCP to the range today for a first time firing session.

I experienced no problems or hiccups using two different ammo types, other then one instance when the slide would not fully close on a chambered round due to my fault in not racking the slide vigorously enough. I shot 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 90gr FMJ, and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX. I found the Hornady's to be easier to load in the mag as well as a tad more accurate, but this may be due to myself switching positions while shooting. This is all good, because the Hornady's are the SD load for this gun that I'd like to carry.

I found the gun easier to shoot then I thought. I fired 75 rounds and my hands feels fine, no soreness. Although racking the slide on this little gun and loading it was difficult. I don't know how well I'd be able to reload and rack the slide with nervous, sweaty hands in an actual SD situation if I had to.
UPDATE:(Just passing along my experiences for anyone interested in getting an LCP or anyone who already has one):

Took the Elsie Pea to the range again today. This time I fired 50 rounds of Federal 95gr FMJ's, and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90gr GDHP's. During my last visit to the range, I fired 50 rounds of PMC Bronze 90gr FMJ's, and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX, both of which performed flawlessly.

I had no problems with the Speer Gold Dots, but I had an FTE on almost every full mag with the Federal 95gr FMJ's. My gun is still not broken in yet but regardless, this is totally unacceptable, especially for a round nosed FMJ load. Not only did they FTE on a regular basis, their recoil was also harsher then any other type of loads I tried and unlike my last range session, my hand is sore this time. I almost lost the little gun shooting one handed when using these loads. It seems some Federal handgun loads in have high levels of recoil from what I've seen.

I mentioned this to the guy at the gun shop and he tells me to fire 500 rounds through it and it will eventually eat up anything with no problems. Maybe so, but considering that the Speer Gold Dots, PMC Bronze and Hornady's I tried all performed flawlessly, I cannot recommend using the Federal .380acp 95gr FMJ's for this particular gun. I also noticed that all the brands that performed well with the LCP were all 90gr, so I'm not going to shoot anything heavier than those anymore.

Anyone else have problems with Federal .380acp 95gr FMJ's with the LCP?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes... I certainly did have problems with 95 grain Federal FMJ. I bought 5 boxes of this ammo, and after shooting about 2 boxes of the Federal ammo, have lost confidence in my LCP. I had numerous failures, feed and eject. I also didnt like shooting it because of the recoil, and have since moved the LCP to the back of the gun safe. I like .380 and wanted an autoloader chambered in this round, so I bought a Bersa Thunder 380, and its been flawless with the Federal 95 Grain. I do agree that the LCP shot well with Hornady Critical Defense, but at around a dollar a shot, Im not going to break in my LCP with it. I also bought a box of TulAmmo 380, and my LCP was a single shot with that crap. I gave that away to a friend with a Sig P238, and he shot it with no problems. I wonder how my Bersa would be with TulAmmo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have shot around 370 rounds through my LCP. 150 of those rounds were Federal 95gr FMJ, 200 were Winchester 95 grain FMJ, and the other 20 were Cor-Bon 90gr. JHP. I have yet to have a problem on any of my visits to the range. The Winchesters seemed a little dirty to shoot though. Recoil was similar on all ammo, not too difficult to manage. The LCP is actually pretty accurate and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having some problems with my LCP failing to extract the brass, and then the next one jams up under the partially extracted casing. This is the worst kind of jam because you have to drop the mag and cycle the slide to clear it. I was ready to send it back to Ruger but now I’m not so sure. I just tested it with a variety of ammo with these results: Winchester 95gr: more than half the rounds failed to extract; Federal premium HS: 4 of 20 failed; Independence: 2/50 failed; blazer brass: 4/50 failed; PMC: no failures in 50 rounds. It now has about 400 rounds through it. I don’t like the “limp wrist” explanation. I need my carry weapon to fire every time regardless of how I am gripping it. If the LCP won’t do that then I need a different gun.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I have been having some problems with my LCP failing to extract the brass, and then the next one jams up under the partially extracted casing. This is the worst kind of jam because you have to drop the mag and cycle the slide to clear it. I was ready to send it back to Ruger but now I’m not so sure. I just tested it with a variety of ammo with these results: Winchester 95gr: more than half the rounds failed to extract; Federal premium HS: 4 of 20 failed; Independence: 2/50 failed; blazer brass: 4/50 failed; PMC: no failures in 50 rounds. It now has about 400 rounds through it. I don’t like the “limp wrist” explanation. I need my carry weapon to fire every time regardless of how I am gripping it. If the LCP won’t do that then I need a different gun.
Then you need to get a different gun. Limp wristing is a problem with virtually all small firearms. Purely a physics problem.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Limp wristing affects a lot of the smaller firearms. If the slide short strokes because the user is absorbing some of the recoil, jamming will occur.

Everybody complains about the brutal recoil of the small semi autos (myself included..I hate firing my LCP...), so the manufacturers put in heavy recoil springs to help ease the recoil. It's easy to slightly unlock ones' wrist, elbow and shoulder to absorb even more of the recoil. If you do that it will jam.

Even larger firearms are not exempt.

Limp Wristing Glock Pistols - YouTube

(For target shooting, I use the PMC Bronze almost exclusively in my LCP because they run about 30 ft/lbs under other .380 rounds. I use the Hornaday CD rounds when I carry it. I have fired about 10 different rounds; the only jamming I ever had was when I had a bad grip. I've fired just shy of 1200 rounds thru my LCP in the three years I've had it.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
The LCP is subject to limp wristing, as are most smaller semi auto pistols. Simple physics as noted above. You need to know what your buying, the purpose of the pistol, and all of its strengths and weaknesses. Everything is a trade off. There doesn't exist a gun that is best in concealability, maximum in caliber and lowest in recoil.

That said, get yourself the Hogue Hybrid grips for the Elsie and it will really help. The grip adds very little to the bulk of the gun and makes a HUGE difference in firing the pistol. Night and day for me. The Elsie can be a little bit of a handful, but nothing conceals better for me and I wouldn't go without it in my arsenal when carrying bigger is not an option.

For those with FTE issues, try to firm up that grip.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's why I have a Bodyguard........eats anything and everything............
That could still be more attributable to shooting style than mechanical function. Not to mention you sacrifice carry 20% more weight with slightly larger dimensions with the BodyGuard. Perhaps the extra weight manages recoil better and helps limp wrist FTE issues. But that's a trade off the shooter needs to make.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
That could still be more attributable to shooting style than mechanical function. Not to mention you sacrifice carry 20% more weight with slightly larger dimensions with the BodyGuard. Perhaps the extra weight manages recoil better and helps limp wrist FTE issues. But that's a trade off the shooter needs to make.
Correct

1 - 12 of 12 Posts