Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, hundreds of reviews on these but here's my quick take. Picked mine up from the LGS. Broke it down, then shot 42 rounds (there's a reason so few) through it. First impressions, Outing 1:

You have trade-offs when moving to a pistol this small. Caliber, capacity, and accuracy all come to mind. You're going down to 6+1 rounds of an arguably anemic .380. However, we all know the LCP is sized right for a true pocket carry. Let's face it and reiterate that the gun you have on you is better than the one you left at home. I can imagine myself having zero excuse for not having this LCP on my person at all times due to the convenience that comes from its size.

On to the shooting. You guys in forum land crying about how it shoots like garbage. Were you shooting the LCP or are you just new to handguns? The sights (and I have a standard, not a Custom) are adequate for this pistol's purpose. Does it take good eyes to place them accurately on target? Yes, absolutely, but again, we've traded a Competition-worthy sight picture for one that fits in the pocket. The trigger is decent. It is not equal quality to my LC9s, my APEX-equipped M&Ps, or my PPQ. I wasn't expecting that, though. For what it is it's absolutely controllable. I wish it would stage up before the break just a hair better than it does, but you can control the squeeze of the trigger and end up with repeated results. Just need a little more practice to learn where it's going to break. You can certainly grip this pistol as well despite the small frame. I have large, slim hands and had no issue with a 1.5 finger grip. I've ordered the Hogue grip to try out anyways, but I would feel comfortable in being able to carry the LCP without it and still getting a purchase on it during live fire. At 7 yards standing and an incredibly windy day, my second magazine (first was at 5 yards to get accustomed) looked like below. The spread of the 10 yard groups thereafter widened the spread roughly an inch. Less wind and a few more rounds behind the pistol and I'd likely do better but if I can hit that plate I can hit a bad guy.

Reliability. This is where we fail, LCP. At least so far but it may not have been your fault. Out of the 40 or so rounds I shot, I had several (no less than 5) failure to feed and one out of battery. Now this is a new, small pistol. I'm going to cut it a break this time. I broke it down and was too lazy to fetch CLP and then I took it out shooting. I had Mil-Pro 7 sitting nearby and that's what I used. I've used this in finicky pistols before to ill effect. I also was using Remanufactured ammo from Freedom. I think this ammo is **** personally though it does go bang every time. It's just the box I grabbed today as in the end, it shouldn't matter what I feed my pistols and it should eat it all. I also did not have the opportunity to try a different mag as I only have one at the moment and this, too, could be the issue at hand causing feeding issues. Given those three variables, I'm going to say I need more data before outright calling the Ruger unreliable.

And another...

After this...I just stopped taking pictures as I had not taken pictures of the first 2 failures...these fell in between...and...see above...repeat.

At the end of the day, if the Ruger and I can work past the reliability issues and find ourselves sitting at 100% function in the near future then I'm really going to enjoy this little pistol. I liked shooting it, but admittedly I have a real fixation with small pistols. At $209 shipped, get this thing reliable and it will definitely warrant the price of admission as well as secure a spot in the pocket. Will update after another outing.

EDIT: Likely a feeding issue due to ammo. Went back and realized it's a box of RNFP .380. Guessing HP's may wind up fussy, too, if the case.

EDIT 2/26: Updated Sessions 2,3,4 on Page 2.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
I want to make sure I understand ... Did you strip, de-grease and lightly lube it before the first time you shot it out of the box?

I used rubbing alcohol on mine then froglube. Zero jams ever.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I want to make sure I understand ... Did you strip, de-grease and lightly lube it before the first time you shot it out of the box?

I used rubbing alcohol on mine then froglube. Zero jams ever.
Yes. Stripped. Degreased...Light finger rub lube of Mil-Pro 7...but that is a bit thicker as I said and not every pistol takes to it the way an AR would. I just cleaned again using CLP. Also came to find out the box of ammo I was running was RNFP. Should it feed it anyways? Yes, imo...but my opinion doesn't always mesh with reality. :D Next outing I'll try the RNFP as well as standard RN and see if the issue persists after the second field strip with the lighter CLP.

Registered
Thanks for the review. I have a new LCP custom and have not had an issue with about 200 RNFP 95 grain Winchester target rounds down range. It does from time to time hang up when I try to chamber the first round from a new mag. I find I can't baby it at all. Pull back and let that slide go.
I did put a 13lb recoil springs in before I even got it to the range. I didn't even try the factory spring.
I'd keep shooting with various types of ammo and I'll bet those problems will go away.
I replaced my LCR with this gun for pocket carry. This thing absolutely disappears.

Registered
Nice review. Hopefully you can work the bugs out of it.

For a grip I use a ribbed section of a bike tube. Really improves the grip and adds almost no bulk.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Yes. Stripped. Degreased...Light finger rub lube of Mil-Pro 7...but that is a bit thicker as I said and not every pistol takes to it the way an AR would. I just cleaned again using CLP. Also came to find out the box of ammo I was running was RNFP. Should it feed it anyways? Yes, imo...but my opinion doesn't always mesh with reality. :D Next outing I'll try the RNFP as well as standard RN and see if the issue persists after the second field strip with the lighter CLP.
Good man. That's what I thought you meant but I'm always surprised at how many people show up here complaining that their new gun "jams" but then explain that they started shooting right out of the box without a degreasing.

Of course sometimes they do just need a few rounds to break in. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good man. That's what I thought you meant but I'm always surprised at how many people show up here complaining that their new gun "jams" but then explain that they started shooting right out of the box without a degreasing.

Of course sometimes they do just need a few rounds to break in. Good luck.

Yes, definitely agree and I've seen that all too often as well with forum reviews. I have an LC9s Pro with quite a few rounds down the pipe and it has been 100% since day 1. Hoping to get the LCP there and the bugs worked out quickly.

Registered
My LCP is four year's old now and runs really smooth. It had some feed/eject issues when it was new, but the more I shot it the less problems it has had. Might just take a little time to break it in.

Registered
My suggestions to make the LCP a GREAT little gun.

Ruger 7 round mag.
Hogue Handall grip.
Galloway 13# spring and SS guide rod.

Makes it a completely different gun and (in my case) 100% reliable and a joy to shoot.

Registered
I bought a used LCP a little over 3 years ago. It eats everything I feed to it (including the Freedom Munitions RNFP ammo).

Only .380 which didn't like the FM RNFP is the Mauser HSc (but it only likes Fiocchi ammo).

Registered
Ya, brandy new gun, questionable ammo == situation where NO conclusions on reliability should be made.

Registered
No issue with mine from the git go. That includes all kinds and shapes of ammo including my cast lead reloads. I did, as has been mentioned above, prep it properly before first time shooting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update:

Coming back to this. Took the LCP out again today. Detailed stripped again as stated previously. Used CLP this time instead of MPro-7. 84 rounds fired. We still had failures, but a much improved 3 in 84 versus the 5-6 in 42.

Pic of 1 of 3 failures. A second looks identical to this pic, a third has the case still further in the chamber.

Failures occurred in magazines 3, 4, and 6. Thereafter in the following 8 of 14 magazines, there were no failures.

Cleaning/Lube: CLP was used in another detail strip. Thin coat applied during reassembly. Not a lube issue. MYTH BUSTED.

Magazines: Failure 1 was out of an Italian made mag. Failures 2 & 3 were US manufacture. So, failures occurred in both mags. Would not seem to be a mag issue as result. MYTH BUSTED.

Ammo: Failures 1 & 2 were from the same batch of 95gr RNFP from Freedom Munitions. Failure 3 was a Magtech 95gr FMJ. MYTH BUSTED.

LCP ran more reliably on Magtech with only 1/50 failures, but admittedly those rounds came after the first 4 magazines of Freedom that had 2/24 failures prior to switching ammo. The last mag was a remaining 2 Magtech rounds and 4 Freedom. That final mag functioned fine.

Groups were improved. Another 7 yarder. Spread is about 2.5". I didn't pull out the tape but eyeballed it. :D

I rang steel all day between 7-12 yards, but was mostly worried about function and connecting, less so on group size. Sped up the pace a few times and had no issues keeping it on the plate. Admittedly, missed 3/84 completely when speeding up too quickly and attempting fast follow-ups. A quick breath and we were back on target. A slightly cooler day and my dominant eye was also having issues with the weighted contact lens staying in place (astigmatism) with the cold air causing watery eyes.

Also, installed the Hogue hand-all grip and love the palm swell it provides. I've shot thie LCP and the P64 some 250 rounds in the last 4 days, and my hand is starting to hurt. :p Think I may have to take a little break and shoot something softer like my new GP100 .22LR if I get out this week.

I'm still not 100% confident in the LCP's reliability, but it was nice to see it go some 48 rounds back-to-back-to-back without any failures. When we can get closer to 250 rounds without failures then I'll be satisfied. Perhaps she's just loosening up a bit still and we're almost done with the teething issues. Love shooting it. At this rate I'm going to be out of .380 within a week or two. Need to reorder. I'll continue to follow up as I work through the quirks.

Registered
Jagrmaister, thanks for the report. I'm sure sorry you have had so much trouble with your LCP. When I first got mine I polished the feed ramp before I ever shot it. I cleaned it with Safariland CLP Break Free and lubed it with Hoppe's #9. Same as after every range trip. I have not had a single malfunction with it. Oh yes, one big OUCH when my wife shot it with her thumb behind the slide. She will remember that better than all the preaching I did about it before it happened. Fortunately no lasting damage.

Ruger LCP 380 SN/371027xxx
50 American Eagle 95 gr FMJ
7 Gold Dot 90 gr GDHP
14 Hornady Critical Defense
50 HPR 100 gr FMJ
199 Monarch 94 gr FMJ
150 Winchester Train & Defend 95 gr FMJ
15 Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP

Registered
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Round 3.

Used Magtech again. Only brought out the Italian mag as I forgot the other in the house. Of 57 rounds, only Round #2 of 57 was a failure. Almost!

5...3...1...None? Hope this is the case. I love this little pistol. Was shooting a steel silhouette target at 25 yards with ease. Group was for ****, but hey, the bad guy is dead if I hit him, right?

I still continue to read on other forums how people don't practice with the LCP because of the recoil. I think that's ridiculous. It has a punch but it's really not that bad and is absolutely manageable with practice. I shot a box of 38spl out of my WC SP101 after playing with the LCP some more, and an additional cylinder of 357 Magnum. Now that was a punch!

Hope as I put more rounds down range the reliability continues to improve.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Outing 4

Fired off a few more rounds for a 4th outing. Did not clean from the last session. Of 67 rounds...zero failures. One empty case was somehow captured perfectly back into the chamber when the slide closed...but it was on the last round of a mag...so it technically functioned and I think it was just a fluke occurrence. Low power round maybe.

That's 122 rounds since last failure in previous session. Used both the Freedom Munitions and Magtech and all are functioning. Just like a new pair of shoes, it needed to wear in a little and we've officially hit the 250 round mark. :cool: I'll continue to document for the next few outings, but I think it may have shot itself to perfection.

EDIT 3/11: Another 50...no issues. We're golden as far as I'm concerned. Was just a couple hiccups during the first 100 or so rounds. She broke in, loosened up a bit, and all appears well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts