Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the gun for about 2 years years, and she's up to around 600-700 rounds. After putting 500 rounds through her initially, I only put a mag or two through here each range trip, because she isn't much fun to shoot.

This weekend halfway through my first mag (I was shooting the ammo I had been carrying for the past 6 weeks), the extractor broke. Its a little concerning, because if this had been a defensive scenario, I would have only gotten 3 shots off. Anyway...

Should I send it to Ruger or just order a new extractor. Swapping out the extractor seems easy enough, but I'm wondering if their is any reason to let Ruger do it. This failure has me a little gun shy, because this is my primary carry gun. I have others that make it into the rotation when clothing allows, but the LCP is usually my goto piece each day, because its just so easy.

So send it in, do it myself, or take to a smith? What would you do?

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
I would give customer service a call and discuss it with them. It may be easier/quicker to do the work yourself. Up to Ruger really and you of course if you wish to do it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The extractor on my LC9s blew off 3 weeks ago while at the range.
Called Ruger (in Prescott, AZ) & had them send me a new extractor, plunger & spring.
Make sure to get all 3 pcs. Rec'vd in a week.

FWIW - Took 3 hands to hold back the plunger & spring, then push in the extractor.
Video on youtube shows how, but getting the plunger back with tension on it & then push in the extractor is a PIA. It's not hard, but you need to keep tension on the plunger/spring so having a helper made it easy (after trying myself)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts